Will Smith brings a drone onto The Tonight Show
1570 35 2018-3-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Prairie Chicken
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106526 ft
Canada

Fun with drones on national TV! (The drone part starts at 3:00.)

First, can anyone tell which drone that is? It looks about the size of a Spark but I couldn't make it out.

Second, I flew my Spark indoors and it was LOUD AND NOISY! How is it that there's virtually no noise from the drone coming through in the video? There's got to be a lot of microphones on in that studio.
2018-3-23
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

I don't think it's a Spark...maybe a Mavic Air???
2018-3-23
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

I think it is a Mavic Pro due to the folding arms and the battery release levers on the upper middle of the body.  Hard to tell with the prop guards on.  It is quiet because the only audio is from the host's yelling into their lapel microphones.  Those are likely set up to be directional to only sounds right above them.  And that Mavic's are pretty quiet.

Are they so positive and energetic because of drug use?  Chemical aids?

Will's side is on his youtube channel.
2018-3-23
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 14312858 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

That was a Mavic Pro Platinum with prop guards on
2018-3-24
Use props
Solestacz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 489193 ft
United States

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-3-23 22:09
I think it is a Mavic Pro due to the folding arms and the battery release levers on the upper middle of the body.  Hard to tell with the prop guards on.  It is quiet because the only audio is from the host's yelling into their lapel microphones.  Those are likely set up to be directional to only sounds right above them.  And that Mavic's are pretty quiet.

Are they so positive and energetic because of drug use?  Chemical aids?

just like you/me/us, they're excited because there's a sweet quadcopter involved!!
2018-3-24
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 108805200 ft
  • >>>

That was a Mavic Pro with prop guards.
2018-3-24
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

Solestacz Posted at 2018-3-24 09:43
just like you/me/us, they're excited because there's a sweet quadcopter involved!!

Now hang on.  They were likely just sentimental to see such an old jalopy still flying.  Kids being show what their grandpa used to fly.  
2018-3-24
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
  • >>>

A CW Posted at 2018-3-24 00:32
That was a Mavic Pro Platinum with prop guards on

It was the original Mavic Pro with prop guards on.
2018-3-24
Use props
SpeedyBirdy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 968002 ft
United States

Mavic with prop guards lol
2018-3-24
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-3-24 09:54
It was the original Mavic Pro with prop guards on.

Look again at 3:12 when it passes under the light - it is clearly the platinum model.
2018-3-24
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-3-24 09:54
It was the original Mavic Pro with prop guards on.

Definitely the Platinum! Hense the low noise too being DJI's quietest drone to date.
2018-3-24
Use props
Prairie Chicken
Second Officer
Canada

It's the Mavic quieter than the Spark? My only limited experience is with my Spark, and it is noisy as hell indoors. Directional microphones would be a must if I was recording sound.

This video caught my attention because it was refreshing to see a drone treated in the media as something fun rather than an instrument of evil. It didn't occur to me that they might be high on something. I thought "crazy and over the top" was just standard operating procedure for late night TV.

Edit: If it's a Platinum, I guess that settles the noise issue.
2018-3-24
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Prairie Chicken Posted at 2018-3-24 11:02
It's the Mavic quieter than the Spark? My only limited experience is with my Spark, and it is noisy as hell indoors. Directional microphones would be a must if I was recording sound.

This video caught my attention because it was refreshing to see a drone treated in the media as something fun rather than an instrument of evil. It didn't occur to me that they might be high on something. I thought "crazy and over the top" was just standard operating procedure for late night TV.

The platinum is 60% quieter than the original Mavic and 4db quieter on take off. The original Mavic is quieter than the Spark. I've owned all 3 and can vouch for that as fact. It makes sense that they would use the platinum in the studio as the least disruptive to the audio plus if you look at the snap shot I took the original Mavic does not have that shine to the finish in direct light - this is 100% the MPP.  
2018-3-24
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
  • >>>

A CW Posted at 2018-3-24 10:25
Look again at 3:12 when it passes under the light - it is clearly the platinum model.

I watched it repeatedly and in my opinion it's the original Mavic Pro. Remember the MPP is shiny and would catch a glare in the studio lights.
2018-3-24
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-3-24 11:46
I watched it repeatedly and in my opinion it's the original Mavic Pro. Remember the MPP is shiny and would catch a glare in the studio lights.

Which it has!
2018-3-24
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
  • >>>

A CW Posted at 2018-3-24 10:28
Definitely the Platinum! Hense the low noise too being DJI's quietest drone to date.
[view_image]

The MPP would be catching more of a glare than that one. It could be, but to me with my reviewing it looks like the original.
2018-3-24
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
  • >>>

It could be but looking at the two side by side it just seems like the MPP would be having more of a pronounced appearance than the drone used on the Tonight Show?
2018-3-24
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-3-24 11:48
The MPP would be catching more of a glare than that one. It could be, but to me with my reviewing it looks like the original.

Mate - I own the MPP - flew it TODAY! This is the MPP - the light grey, reflective finish is clear as anything. I've even showed you a snap shot. It's also why the drone is so quiet... I guess you've never seen an MPP.
2018-3-24
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

I also think it's just the MP.  Take another look when they're "controlling it".  
2018-3-24
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Oracle Miata Posted at 2018-3-24 12:27
I also think it's just the MP.  Take another look when they're "controlling it".

The MPP is also dark in shaded areas - you'll notice how it reflects the light when it comes out of the shadows in the footage. The MP does not do that.  
2018-3-24
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

It is at least a Mavic Pro model.
Not sure if it is the Platinum, but great fun it was to watch!
2018-3-24
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

Their team has confirmed that it is a pre-production Mavic Pro 2 they are testing out for DJI.  Announcing it on the first of April?
2018-3-24
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-3-24 15:42
Their team has confirmed that it is a pre-production Mavic Pro 2 they are testing out for DJI.  Announcing it on the first of April?

That's interesting - do you happen to have a link to the article where you read that?
2018-3-24
Use props
Lamplighter55
Second Officer
Flight distance : 538596 ft
United Kingdom

A CW Posted at 2018-3-24 16:12
That's interesting - do you happen to have a link to the article where you read that?

... read the last part of the sentence hehe!
2018-3-24
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Lamplighter55 Posted at 2018-3-24 16:29
... read the last part of the sentence hehe!

Ah, April fools
2018-3-24
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

If you are fishing for "always waiting for the next product, types," you have to bait the hook just right.  

Picture from the Pro 2's camera for evaluation purposes.  Feast your eyes:
2018-3-24
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
  • >>>

A CW Posted at 2018-3-24 11:50
Mate - I own the MPP - flew it TODAY! This is the MPP - the light grey, reflective finish is clear as anything. I've even showed you a snap shot. It's also why the drone is so quiet... I guess you've never seen an MPP.

I've only seen the MPP in a box when I purchased my drone, when the sales associate pulled out two boxes from the back, one was the Platinum and the second was mine, the original.

I just like the look of the original, it's a vintage looking drone and I think in time it'll be one of the drones that is remembered as being one of the classic drones of all-time.

The color of the Platinum is nice but I like the lettering on the original without the word Platinum in italics on the drone. The quietness is a function of the props, the original with the low-noise props achieves the same quieter sound.

It doesn't matter what I think, if fliers prefer one over the other then that's the only, main, important function between the two.

Your screenshot looks like it's the Platinum but in the dark it looked like the grey color of the original was accentuated?
2018-3-24
Use props
Prairie Chicken
Second Officer
Canada

As the OP, I hereby declare myself the tie-breaker...

This site, below, says it was a Mavic Pro, sans the Platinum. But whatever it  was, I wonder if it will produce a boost in sales of drones. It was  obvious that Smith and Fallon had a lot of fun with it.

https://dronedj.com/2018/03/24/dji-mavic-pro-makes-appearance-on-tonight-show-with-jimmy-fallon-and-youtube-star-will-smith/

2018-3-24
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
  • >>>

So we're assuming the Mavic Pro (regardless if it was the original or Platinum) belongs to Will Smith or is it owned by, and is it part of, the Tonight Show? I'm guessing the drone will likely be featured on the Show taking aerial footage here and there?
If people vote in the skit, I'd bet Fallon would highly consider implementing the Mavic Pro into the Show, as it would be rather smart of them to attract the drone enthusiast market - a Social Media market now growing exponentially.
2018-3-24
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-3-24 17:08
I've only seen the MPP in a box when I purchased my drone, when the sales associate pulled out two boxes from the back, one was the Platinum and the second was mine, the original.

I just like the look of the original, it's a vintage looking drone and I think in time it'll be one of the drones that is remembered as being one of the classic drones of all-time.

You obviously like the look of the Platinum too if you think this is the original LOL
2018-3-24
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
  • >>>

A CW Posted at 2018-3-24 23:07
You obviously like the look of the Platinum too if you think this is the original LOL

I don't dislike the Mavic Pro Platinum, it's certainly a great bird.
2018-3-25
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-3-25 06:54

In today's market it had better be.  The Phantom 4 Advance was $800 just two weeks ago.  The Platinum has stayed at $1049 to $1149 for just the drone and remote.  The Mavic Pro has been as been in the mid $700's occasionally.  Pricey for just platinum colored paint job and some new prop tips.
2018-3-25
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-3-25 06:54

2018-3-25
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-3-25 09:02
In today's market it had better be.  The Phantom 4 Advance was $800 just two weeks ago.  The Platinum has stayed at $1049 to $1149 for just the drone and remote.  The Mavic Pro has been as been in the mid $700's occasionally.  Pricey for just platinum colored paint job and some new prop tips.

I don't know why the Platinum has held its price at $1099 - while the original has come down to below $800?
2018-3-25
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-3-25 14:03
I don't know why the Platinum has held its price at $1099 - while the original has come down to below $800?

I picked up the original last week for $799 tax included and the store where I purchased the Mavic Pro had the Platinum in stock but was trying to price match and couldn't find a price lower than $1088?
2018-3-25
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

I just call it the way I see it.
2018-3-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now