Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Buried Thread Update
1691 9 2015-5-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gnixon2015
First Officer

United States

not sure why my replies wont bring the thread back up to the recent activity but for those of you that helped me with my ESC advice, thanks again and here are a few updates as to where i am at right now with the problem... apologies for making a 'new thread' out of it but when i reply it isnt bringing up to the top of the bunch for you guys to see...

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... d=14572&lang=en
2015-5-6
Use props
nrgwise
First Officer

United States

yeah, that brilliant move is one of the recent changes to the forum.  New posts/replies no longer move the thread to the top of the queue
2015-5-6
Use props
dmiles
lvl.3
Flight distance : 455312 ft
United States

Glad to see you are back flying again. Since I have been involved with the Phantom, I found out quite by accident that a good friend also has a phantom that was in need of repair, so I took a look.

He had 2.0 ESCs, and one was bad. I could tell which one it was because when he first turned it on, there was a chirp, and then it shut down. If you held the motors right up to your ear, you could tell which one was chirping, and then a look at the FETs revealed a small burnt spot on one of them, but you had to look close to see it.

So we ordered a 2.1, and since I have been doing component level replacement for more than 30 years, I went ahead and replaced it for him. Not to belittle anyone's efforts, but this is some of the easiest soldering there is. It's surface mount, but large pads for the solder, so you don't even have to go through the board. I also agree with what was said in your other thread about connectors being a possible source of problems. If it's a critical connection, solder is much better.

Just a tip, I found that for me, it was easier to put a small dab of solder on the pad first, and then it was very easy to make the connections look just like the ones from the factory. Also, even though it came with power leads already soldered to the board, I removed them and used the ones that were used on the old ESC. My thinking was that if I suddenly went all crazy with the soldering iron and caused some damage, I would rather be repairing or replacing the ESC, than the main board, but YMMV.

Anywho, it went fine, and just confirmed what my friend already though about me being a genius and all. One point I did want to bring up is that we opted not to replace all of the ESCs. My thinking was that there probably wasn't that much difference between a 2.0, and a 2.1, and I was concerned about the likelihood going way up of actually inducing a problem with all the extra soldering. Also, one thing I noticed....after I removed the defective ESC, I started it up just to see if it would start up with the bad one disconnected. It not only started up, but I was able to rev up the remaining three motors, no problem. It was like the thing didn't even know one was out.

So, if anyone has any information regarding the difference between a 2.0 and a 2.1, I would appreciate it if you would share it here. If my buddy needs to replace the other 3, I want to make sure that gets done. Also, does anyone know if these things will fly with only 3 rotors? I had a flyaway with mine, and looking back on the way it looked when it flew away, it was leaning pretty hard. Originally I chalked it up to a catastrophic failure with the phantom losing it's home position (which I know it had before I took off), but if these things will actually fly with a bad ESC, I could see it not being able to come back home as well.
2015-5-6
Use props
gnixon2015
First Officer

United States

dmiles Posted at 2015-5-7 07:09
Glad to see you are back flying again. Since I have been involved with the Phantom, I found out quit ...

dmiles, i struggled with the soldering because i have to hold a wire, the solder, and the iron.  even with a 'third hand' alligator clamp in use, it was near impossible to do it.  if anyone has any video clips of someone soldering WIRES TO BOARD id love to watch.  i only found videos of soldering wires to wires (which even i find easy) and COMPONENTS to boards, which i also find pretty easy.  but wires to boards just seems difficult for me for some reason and i dont know why
2015-5-6
Use props
I. P. Freely
Second Officer

United States

Well, the only good that came of it was the abbreviations didn't keep popping up again and again at the top. Perhaps we are all paying the price.
2015-5-6
Use props
gnixon2015
First Officer

United States

I. P. Freely Posted at 2015-5-7 10:48
Well, the only good that came of it was the abbreviations didn't keep popping up again and again at  ...

haha, the abbreviations, i forgot about that.  how stupid, who needs a thread with comprehensive abbreviations when google is at your fingertips like a billion times a day...
2015-5-6
Use props
Gerry1124
Captain

United States

gnixon2015 Posted at 2015-5-7 12:12
haha, the abbreviations, i forgot about that.  how stupid, who needs a thread with comprehensive a ...

It looks like they have put in the last post again to move to the top.
2015-5-7
Use props
I. P. Freely
Second Officer

United States

Did you guys see the slider at the top of the page?  LAST REPLIES or LAST POST.
2015-5-7
Use props
Gerry1124
Captain

United States

I. P. Freely Posted at 2015-5-7 23:00
Did you guys see the slider at the top of the page?  LAST REPLIES or LAST POST.

Last replies, you get the last reply AND the last post at the top.
Last post. you only get the LAST NEW POST at the top. the replies to previous posts will still be scattered.
2015-5-7
Use props
gnixon2015
First Officer

United States

no i didnt see that thank for sharing
2015-5-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules