4925 15 2018-3-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
PedalingDuo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 31896 ft
United States

Hello all,

Yesterday I replaced my old Gallaxy S5 to a new Galaxy S9 Plus.  I was very apprehensive about the change but with infomation gathered here on the forum I decided to jump in and do the change.

I am very glad to report that everything went smoothly.   The S9+ fits into the the RC and is it actually easier to connect the USB C cable than it was with the S5.

I loaded the DJI Go 4 app on the new S9+, powered up the Air, powered up the RC and the S9+ immediately brought up the Go app, and I mean immediatly, wow it was fast compaired to the old S5.  I checked all of the settings and they looked good.  I did have a notification to upgrade the new firmware.  I did not do the upgrade at this point because I wanted to see if the new S9+ would fly the drone.  I took the drone in the backyard and checked out the functionallity.  I flew it with the S9+ in Airplane Mode as recommended by some on this forum. It all worked well and the new, much brighter screen, was nice.  The picture quality on the new phone was fantastic.

After a short, low test flight I brought it all in and did the firmware update.  Took it back out and flew again. I was thrilled that it all worked just fine.  It seems that the S9+ has a better connection with the drone.  My old S5 picture would drop out or studder occationally but the new S9+ picture was rock solid and did not seem to lag.

The weather right now is dodgy, expecting 7 inches of snow, so I cannot do longer tests at this time.  I hope to get oput and do some better flying as soon as it clears up.

Thanks for all of the help and input that people have given me on this forum.  It really helped make the decision to upgrade less stressful.

2018-3-24
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

I’m a long time iPhone fan but I’m seriously considering the galaxy 9 plus, it looks like a real power house. I currently use the iPhone X and I’m amazed how apple can make a 5.9 inch screen look so small..
2018-3-24
Use props
PedalingDuo
lvl.4
United States

R&L Aerial photography Posted at 2018-3-24 05:46
I’m a long time iPhone fan but I’m seriously considering the galaxy 9 plus, it looks like a real power house. I currently use the iPhone X and I’m amazed how apple can make a 5.9 inch screen look so small..

Yeah, my eyes aren't what they used to be.  The screen is brighter and that helps a lot.  I considered a small tablet but as we are planning on using the Air on bicycle trips we do not want MORE gear to carry.  

It is only one day's experience with the S9+ but so far I like it.  We will have to see how it does on battery life, both the phone and the RC.  I read somewhere here that the RC tries to charge the phone while connected.  I don't know about that yet, we will see.
2018-3-24
Use props
cyborg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 123960 ft
Singapore

PedalingDuo Posted at 2018-3-24 05:51
Yeah, my eyes aren't what they used to be.  The screen is brighter and that helps a lot.  I considered a small tablet but as we are planning on using the Air on bicycle trips we do not want MORE gear to carry.  

It is only one day's experience with the S9+ but so far I like it.  We will have to see how it does on battery life, both the phone and the RC.  I read somewhere here that the RC tries to charge the phone while connected.  I don't know about that yet, we will see.

s8+ user here from the go..  it always worked well with MA and RC.. and yes, the RC  will start charging the phone the moment you plug it in
2018-3-24
Use props
PedalingDuo
lvl.4
United States

cyborg Posted at 2018-3-24 07:31
s8+ user here from the go..  it always worked well with MA and RC.. and yes, the RC  will start charging the phone the moment you plug it in

Can the charging be suspended?
2018-3-24
Use props
zoomzu3
lvl.2

PedalingDuo Posted at 2018-3-24 07:44

I believe its designed that way, so your phone doesn't die while in flight. In my limited experience with my MA. Flying using  up 3 batteries, the RC still had plenty of charge to it to go though more batteries if I had them. I have the S6, looking hard at getting the S9 also.
2018-3-24
Use props
PedalingDuo
lvl.4
United States

zoomzu3 Posted at 2018-3-24 08:58
I believe its designed that way, so your phone doesn't die while in flight. In my limited experience with my MA. Flying using  up 3 batteries, the RC still had plenty of charge to it to go though more batteries if I had them. I have the S6, looking hard at getting the S9 also.

So I guess that I'd better have the RC fully charged.  Thanks.
2018-3-24
Use props
cyborg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 123960 ft
Singapore

PedalingDuo Posted at 2018-3-24 07:44

as mentioned by zoomzu3 you can't disable RC charging  the phone
2018-3-24
Use props
Ford7007
lvl.1
Flight distance : 261739 ft
United States

Hey PedalingDuo... How did you get the DJI4 app on to the S9? I just got the S9+ and in the play store it comes up that the device isn't compatible with this version. I chatted with DJI on their website and they said they are not compatible yet?
2018-5-18
Use props
AlansDronePics
Second Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

I can confirm that the S9+ works well with the Mavic Pro.
I bought this version because of the very bright screen and poor reports of Crystal Sky. I was otherwise delighted with the Samsung J7, so the Crystal Sky was my preferred choice.
There are practical issues that have made me regret the decision of the S9+ for use with the drone.
The penalty for a large and superb screen is greatly reduced battery life when at full brightness, droning. This can be improved very slightly by using the lowest screen resolution, you don't need the higher res in flight.
Even though the memory is 4GB compared with the 1GB on the J7, Samsung bloatware which can't be disabled will reduce this to 3GB at best, but can easily drop to 1.5GB. The J7 had less memory when running, but you could control it better. The point is, the bigger memory will soon vanish with App updates and added apps. On Android devices, in conjunction with drones, this can cause disaster.
It is essential with android to kill off all apps after starting the controller and then start GO4. Maximum memory is the holy grail for trouble free flight. Apple have strict App control so apple rocks in this respect.
Because of the soft buttons on the S9+, the controller arms cover them if pushed home. The last thing you want is the expensive phone falling out of the controller.
At the top of the screen is the light sensor. That gets covered as well by the other arm. The workaround is to set the slider to full brightness and switch off auto brightness. Annoying, because after droning, it needs to be reset.
There are various speed settings you can chose to help with battery life. However, I have not dared use anything but maximum in case it causes issues with GO4.
With the phone at 100%, after one full flight, the controller shows about 60%. The phone battery drops similarly. I wouldn't attempt a third battery without a full recharge of phone and controller.

The J7 seemed to drop a few % per battery. I swear, you could start a lorry with the battery in the J7 it is so massive.

In conclusion, S9+ has a brilliant screen and it works well with GO4

2018-5-18
Use props
rydfree41
lvl.4
Flight distance : 153268 ft
United States

I just updated my old Droid Turbo to the Galaxy S9+ and it works like a charm . No issues at all . The Turbo had been working just fine since getting one of the first Mavics shipped but the later updates had the video lagging a bit . The S9+ seems to run Go4 and Litchi effortlessly .
2018-5-18
Use props
PedalingDuo
lvl.4
United States

Ford7007 Posted at 2018-5-18 09:10
Hey PedalingDuo... How did you get the DJI4 app on to the S9? I just got the S9+ and in the play store it comes up that the device isn't compatible with this version. I chatted with DJI on their website and they said they are not compatible yet?

I went to the Play Store and it downloaded flawlessly.  No such message and no issues at all.  My provider is Verizon but that should not matter.

To be clear.  I downloaded the DJI Go4 App.  Here is a screen shot from the Play Store of the App I have.  It even says on the 2nd picture that it supports Mavic Air.

2018-5-18
Use props
Ford7007
lvl.1
Flight distance : 261739 ft
United States

PedalingDuo Posted at 2018-5-18 11:52
I went to the Play Store and it downloaded flawlessly.  No such message and no issues at all.  My provider is Verizon but that should not matter.

To be clear.  I downloaded the DJI Go4 App.  Here is a screen shot from the Play Store of the App I have.  It even says on the 2nd picture that it supports Mavic Air.

A day or two after I upgraded to the Samsung S9+ (and posted my previous message), I went back to the Google Store and the App was available to download. No idea why. No idea why DJI told me it wasn't in its list of compatible phones. But its working, and the screen is so nice to fly with!  Thank you for your replies!
2018-6-6
Use props
djiuser_Bf1I78bUGnIp
New
Flight distance : 3766 ft
Italy

Ho comprato S9 plus ma purtroppo non funziona con il mavic pro 2 hassemblad. La connessione si interrompe di continuo cin seri rischi per il volo. Ho provato con S7 e S8 la connessione è perfetta. Ho sentito i tecnici di DJ che confermano il problema. Spero possano risolvere presto questo problema perché lo schermo del S9 plus è eccellente per meglio gestire foto e video soprattutto in funzione della nuova camera hassemblad in dotazione del nuovo Mavic
2018-9-26
Use props
SirDuarte
lvl.3

Portugal

[ Last edited by *** In 2021-3-3 04:41 Editor ]\n\n***************
2018-9-27
Use props
djiuser_Q0zge8OuU0Kj
New
Australia

Hi all I have a Samsung 9 plus (Mavic pro2 Zoom) but I am finding that when using the dji go 4 app and RC my viewing screen is cropped about 1.6 inches in either side. I have my settings on full App display on my phone and played with screen resolution settings but no difference still cropped. Any suggestions is appreciated Cheers - Todd
2019-6-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules