iPhone vs Ipad Mini4 vs Ipad?
4540 21 2018-3-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
marcel_911
lvl.3
Flight distance : 18901 ft
United Kingdom

I was originally thinking that when my Air arrives I would be using it with my iPhone X but thinking about it closely now, using your actual active phone is probably not a great idea when flying so I think getting a separate device would be better.

Looking at the ipads, the Mini 4 looks ok, but the spec of the larger 9.7 seems to be slightly newer. Better processor. A9 vs A8.

I was watching a review on Youtube that showed screen capture on the Mini4 was not 100% stable, so was wondering if the normal 9.7" ipad with the better processor is the better option for flying with? I would be using an adaptor to hold the tablet above the controller so the extra size wouldn't be an issue but certainly helpful for on screen controls.

The iPhone would be quick to setup but is quite small and my eyes aren't the best without glasses.

The Mini4 says it had a anti reflective coating. Does that make any real difference when flying? Sounds like it might help.

2018-3-24
Use props
Mohinder
Second Officer
Flight distance : 920489 ft
Belgium

I'm using Ipad Mini 4. I'm realy glad of that. A8 processor has enough power fod DJI Go 4. Size of this Ipad is perfect for me and I can recomend it for you.
2018-3-24
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I have 2 ipad mini 4's and so far not experienced an issue with either.  Used with a mavmount and sunshade, ideal for the MA  
2018-3-24
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

I have the Mini 4 ,128 GB that is just for the my Mavic Pro.
First it fits perfectly in the controller without using a tablet holder.
Second The display is much more visible and clearer then most phones. I Still need glasses to focus.. Just comes with age.

I don't have a Mavic Air so I don't know if the iPad will fit in the controller.  
Just wait and you will  get more information from the forum.

Enjoy your Air and fly safe.

2018-3-24
Use props
marcel_911
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Good input so far, thanks. Seems like the Mini is most popular at the moment.
2018-3-24
Use props
ChasesDronePics
lvl.4
Flight distance : 198990 ft
United States

I have a iPad Mini 2 and it works amazing with my Mavic Pro. I think it is also the largest tablet size to fit into the Mavic Pro controller as well. Great size to see everything on but not too big to hold while controlling the drone.
2018-3-24
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

just to mention: when flying your other device is either with you or it is not. If it is with you it should be turned to airplane mode for 2 good reasons 1. you do not want to be distracted by phone calls and messages when flying and 2 it can be a source of interference.
Therefore if your device is not being used whilst flying - then you may as well use it for flying.
unless you really want a designated flying device and the additional cost is not a concern then yes, i would think a bigger screen with the best possible image visibility in bright sunlight would be more awesome.
2018-3-24
Use props
marcel_911
lvl.3
United Kingdom

GPS. i just realized that the iPad will not have GPS. How would that impact on the maps on the DJI Go 4 App?

@Bekaru A very good point about having any other devices turned off. So if my phone is off then It might as well be used as the flying device. I guess I should see how it feels first before making any decisions.

2018-3-24
Use props
Phantom Help
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

Without GPS, you will not be able to use the Follow Me flight mode or be able to manually reset the home point to your current location. If you do not plan on using those features, then you'll lose nothing by using a Wi-Fi only mobile device.
2018-3-24
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>

I also use Ipad mini 2 wifi version without any issues with my mavic pro. Been using it for over an year.
2018-3-24
Use props
lomo2017
lvl.4

United States

B1houdini Posted at 2018-3-24 16:21
I have the Mini 4 ,128 GB that is just for the my Mavic Pro.
First it fits perfectly in the controller without using a tablet holder.
Second The display is much more visible and clearer then most phones. I Still need glasses to focus.. Just comes with age.

I just bought a mini 4 after reading your comment. I have the IPad 9.7 but it's way to big and I don't like the tablet holder.
But I am not sure if you have the same mini 4. Mine does not fit the RC. I have the MP.
Now I am back using the tablet holder.
2018-3-25
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
United States

lomo2017 Posted at 2018-3-25 14:03
I just bought a mini 4 after reading your comment. I have the IPad 9.7 but it's way to big and I don't like the tablet holder.
But I am not sure if you have the same mini 4. Mine does not fit the RC. I have the MP.

This is the specs for my iPad Mini 4
2018-3-25
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
United States

lomo2017 Posted at 2018-3-25 14:03

Here is my set up:

2018-3-25
Use props
lomo2017
lvl.4

United States

I see.... That's how you clip it to the RC.  Thank you for showing me. Now I don't have to use the tablet holder.  
My daughter was also disappointed, cause I promised her the IPad 9.7 if the mini works for me. I was going to bring it back to BestBuy. They have it on sale for $300.
I guess I'll keep it. Thank you
2018-3-25
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
United States

lomo2017 Posted at 2018-3-25 15:24
I see.... That's how you clip it to the RC.  Thank you for showing me. Now I don't have to use the tablet holder.  
My daughter was also disappointed, cause I promised her the IPad 9.7 if the mini works for me. I was going to bring it back to BestBuy. They have it on sale for $300.
I guess I'll keep it. Thank you

Glad to help.
2018-3-25
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

Doesn't an iPad Mini 4 fit inside the Mavic Pro?
2018-3-25
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Bekaru MP UAV Posted at 2018-3-24 16:49
just to mention: when flying your other device is either with you or it is not. If it is with you it should be turned to airplane mode for 2 good reasons 1. you do not want to be distracted by phone calls and messages when flying and 2 it can be a source of interference.
Therefore if your device is not being used whilst flying - then you may as well use it for flying.
unless you really want a designated flying device and the additional cost is not a concern then yes, i would think a bigger screen with the best possible image visibility in bright sunlight would be more awesome.

"just to mention: when flying your other device is either with you or it is not. If it is with you it should be turned to airplane mode for 2 good reasons 1. you do not want to be distracted by phone calls and messages when flying"

If only people would apply that same safety rule to when they are Driving.  
Yesterday, yet another close call with a driver who was texting and driving.  Came right into my lane, to distracted to check driver's mirror or look to left.

Why can't people ignore their Cell-phones when Driving or Flying, or doing anything else where a distraction could lead to destruction?
2018-3-25
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

marcel_911 Posted at 2018-3-24 17:10
GPS. i just realized that the iPad will not have GPS. How would that impact on the maps on the DJI Go 4 App?

@Bekaru A very good point about having any other devices turned off. So if my phone is off then It might as well be used as the flying device. I guess I should see how it feels first before making any decisions.

"So if my phone is off then It might as well be used as the flying device."

You got it.  Now for those of us who are 20-20 challenged, most phone's screens are to small.  Along with issue of bright sunlight and phone screens.  
Samsung Galaxy S9 appears to be between CrystalSky High brightness and CrystalSky Ultra-brite when it comes NITs.
Specs aren't always reality.  Only way to be sure is through comparison tests in different lighting conditions.

2018-3-25
Use props
ChaosKnign
lvl.4
Flight distance : 402877 ft

I used to use my iPhone X, but I tried my iPad Pro 10.5" out of curiosity and will never go back to anything smaller. xD
Pics of my setup in another thread.
2018-3-25
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-3-25 18:37
"just to mention: when flying your other device is either with you or it is not. If it is with you it should be turned to airplane mode for 2 good reasons 1. you do not want to be distracted by phone calls and messages when flying"

If only people would apply that same safety rule to when they are Driving.  

people are frikken crazy - glad to hear you did not get hit or hurt. Hope you gave them an earful.
2018-3-25
Use props
Mikem691
Second Officer
Flight distance : 247474 ft

The I pad mini 4 does fit in the Air controller and works great. The only issue I have is when screen recording the video seems to lag and get choppy at times.
Here is a short video I made of inserting the mini 4 in the controller.

2018-3-26
Use props
Thoarax
lvl.3
Flight distance : 488484 ft
United States

I use an iPhone 6s when I want to travel light. I use my iPad Air 2 when flying close to home. The issue I have with the Air 2 is it’s extremely hard to see the sceeen when it is sunny out. I tried an anti glare screen protector and it really did not do anything other than make the screen blurry. So I figured I would try a three sided hood and that really did not help much at all either. The iPhone is much easier to see even with no hood or anti-glare on it. I think it is the brightness level of the phone that makes it easier to see on sunny days.
2018-3-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules