Mavic Air connection lost and gone
5061 21 2018-3-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tw_stockman
lvl.1
Flight distance : 16860 ft

Hi all,

A few weeks ago I bought the Mavic Air. Due to the weather here I didn't have the chance to fligh that much yet. However today was a beautiful day so I decided to go and fly. About 2 minutes after taking off on an altitude of about 120 and horizontal distance of 67m connection was lost and I never saw the drone again.

-I assume that the drone lost connection with the GPS sattelites and then flew away with the wind.
-Another option could be that the drone literally malfunctioned and crashed.

As it was getting dark pretty fast I didn't have the chance to search the area very thoroughly, I will do that first thing in the morning. At the last known location of the drone there's nothing to be found.

Do you guys think this would fall under warranty? There were not any obstacles and the drone was only about 120m away, how can the connection get lost on a distance like this?

I have the flight record right here: http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/KVTPGO1AF7NEFEM103AT/

I would really appreciate your input guys!

Thank you in advance!
2018-3-24
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Sorry for your loss. I would recommend you contact our support and start a case: http://www.dji.com/support You can provide the flight log to our suppport to locate the problem. Please remember to apply for the data analysis. Thanks for your support.
2018-3-25
Use props
tw_stockman
lvl.1

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-3-25 20:11
Sorry for your loss. I would recommend you contact our support and start a case: http://www.dji.com/support You can provide the flight log to our suppport to locate the problem. Please remember to apply for the data analysis. Thanks for your support.

Thank you DJI Elektra, I actually already opened a case. Let's hope this falls under warranty!
2018-3-27
Use props
fans2c829f02
lvl.2

United States

Did you have GPS locked?
Did you set a home point?
2018-3-27
Use props
fans0521f91d
lvl.2
Canada

It is strange that you lost connection at such a short range, nothing raises and flags in your logs as far as I can tell.  Did you hit the RTH button on the controller?  Always fly within a distance you can watch your drone at first till you learn to trust it. Sorry for the loss man.
2018-3-27
Use props
tw_stockman
lvl.1

fans0521f91d Posted at 2018-3-27 16:02
It is strange that you lost connection at such a short range, nothing raises and flags in your logs as far as I can tell.  Did you hit the RTH button on the controller?  Always fly within a distance you can watch your drone at first till you learn to trust it. Sorry for the loss man.

Quick update: I found the drone the day after completely demolished because of a crash on a concrete floor. Battery was only 4% less than when I lost connection, so it seems that it literally shutdown in the sky and crashed down. GPS was locked, home point was recorded. Everything was as it should, I had connection with 17 satellites when the crash occurred. I had the drone within my line of sight, ok he was far, but I could see the lights blinking at all times.

I have absolutely no idea what might have happened. This drone is supposed to have a 4km range.
2018-3-27
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

tw_stockman Posted at 2018-3-27 12:37
Thank you DJI Elektra, I actually already opened a case. Let's hope this falls under warranty!

You are welcome. Please contact us if you have doubt in your case.
2018-3-28
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

tw_stockman Posted at 2018-3-27 21:08
Quick update: I found the drone the day after completely demolished because of a crash on a concrete floor. Battery was only 4% less than when I lost connection, so it seems that it literally shutdown in the sky and crashed down. GPS was locked, home point was recorded. Everything was as it should, I had connection with 17 satellites when the crash occurred. I had the drone within my line of sight, ok he was far, but I could see the lights blinking at all times.

I have absolutely no idea what might have happened. This drone is supposed to have a 4km range.

Good that you have found it! Please let us know the outcome and if possible the cause if you receive the information.
2018-3-28
Use props
QuadKid
Second Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

tw_stockman Posted at 2018-3-27 21:08
Quick update: I found the drone the day after completely demolished because of a crash on a concrete floor. Battery was only 4% less than when I lost connection, so it seems that it literally shutdown in the sky and crashed down. GPS was locked, home point was recorded. Everything was as it should, I had connection with 17 satellites when the crash occurred. I had the drone within my line of sight, ok he was far, but I could see the lights blinking at all times.

Yeah it definitely looks like it just dropped out of the sky, glad you found it and it didn't cause any damage to your neighbors homes.

2018-3-28
Use props
tw_stockman
lvl.1

QuadKid Posted at 2018-3-28 02:16
Yeah it definitely looks like it just dropped out of the sky, glad you found it and it didn't cause any damage to your neighbors homes.

[view_image]

Yes exactly! Imagine it fell on someones car or house. I would 've been in serious trouble! I'll keep you guys posted on the further process!
2018-3-28
Use props
tw_stockman
lvl.1

Hi Guys,

Just a small update: DJI replaced my drone with a new one. Which I am very happy with! Thanks DJI! The only thing that I didn't receive yet is the detailed investigation of the .DAT files that they promised me. I asked about it again today so let's see if I get a reply.
2018-4-12
Use props
Karolina
lvl.2
Flight distance : 106299 ft

You were lucky to have found it . How did you do it if the last GPS location was wrong?
2018-4-14
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft

tw_stockman Posted at 2018-4-12 11:16
Hi Guys,

Just a small update: DJI replaced my drone with a new one. Which I am very happy with! Thanks DJI! The only thing that I didn't receive yet is the detailed investigation of the .DAT files that they promised me. I asked about it again today so let's see if I get a reply.

Great to hear this positive outcome, congratulations! And yes, it would be very interesting to learn about the cause.
2018-4-14
Use props
tw_stockman
lvl.1

Karolina Posted at 2018-4-14 04:48
You were lucky to have found it . How did you do it if the last GPS location was wrong?

The last known location was off for about 30 meters. I went asking to all the neigbors and I was lucky that one neighbor found an 'unknown device' in his garden.
2018-4-17
Use props
QuadKid
Second Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

tw_stockman Posted at 2018-4-17 09:47
The last known location was off for about 30 meters. I went asking to all the neigbors and I was lucky that one neighbor found an 'unknown device' in his garden.

Glad things worked out for you, DJI missed the boat when they leaned more towards the Spark when developing the RC for the MA, you would think for the price they would have included a Telemetry LED screen on the RC like the MP so you know what mode you are in. My biggest fear with this new Quad, is losing video feed or having the app crash and not even knowing if the RC is still connected, and/or what mode you are flying in!
2018-4-17
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Must not be my day.  Can't look at Flight record, keep getting redirected to http://www.phantomhelp.com/Phantom-4/.
2018-4-17
Use props
Landbo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 502792 ft
Denmark

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-4-17 11:04
Must not be my day.  Can't look at Flight record, keep getting redirected to http://www.phantomhelp.com/Phantom-4/.

You must upload the file again as the file will be deleted after x number of days.

Regards Leif.
2018-4-17
Use props
Karolina
lvl.2
Flight distance : 106299 ft

tw_stockman Posted at 2018-4-17 09:47
The last known location was off for about 30 meters. I went asking to all the neigbors and I was lucky that one neighbor found an 'unknown device' in his garden.

Haha I hope the neighbor wasn't too much mad about it
2018-4-18
Use props
dont slow down
lvl.4
Flight distance : 574977 ft

So this almost exact thing happened to me today. I got prepared to fly and the app told me there was a firmware update for the RC and aircraft. I thought that I had already updated everything to the latest version about a week ago, but I let it run is course and update again, I did not not which version it was. I was going for a walk and wanted to try the follow me mode. I launched the aircraft and it automatically set the home point. I activated my follow me mode and it started following me. I got about a block away and it said connection was lost, the drone was only about 30 feet behind me and about 15 feet high. I had the remote control in my hand and the video feed was gone and I had no control. It initiated RTH and started to climb. It popped up a box for the RTH and asked if I wanted to cancel, I chose yes because the drone was literally feet from me. It did not cancel and climbed and returned to home. I walked back to my house to find it hovering over my truck in the driveway at about 7 feet high. I reached up and tried to turn it off but the battery would not shut down. I removed it and that turned it off. I’m really confused why I would just lose connection that close to it. I need to go look at all the firmware versions but what happened is unacceptable. Luckily I recovered the drone and it did what it was supposed to.
2018-4-18
Use props
randy.sauder
lvl.4
Flight distance : 872572 ft
Canada

tw_stockman Posted at 2018-4-12 11:16
Hi Guys,

Just a small update: DJI replaced my drone with a new one. Which I am very happy with! Thanks DJI! The only thing that I didn't receive yet is the detailed investigation of the .DAT files that they promised me. I asked about it again today so let's see if I get a reply.

So happy DJI replaced it for you.  Last Nov I LOST MY MAVIC (in Maui)  due to a bug in the DJI GO4 app.  Since I tried desperately to land my Mavic safely when my flight was crippled by loss of video (video lag) and then app crash and failed
I seem to be penalized by DJI and they have not yet offered a replacment...they have initially said it is my fault.  Too bad I didn't just crash it and recover then use my DJI Care to replace it.  It was not found at it's last GPS fix even though it was flown almost 100% within line of sight.  I had no video feed and the app was dead...so I had no luck in making sure it landed in an open area.  I spent hours looking for it, contacted land owners, even the local police; it was never found.  Boo.
2018-4-18
Use props
tw_stockman
lvl.1

dont slow down Posted at 2018-4-18 13:16
So this almost exact thing happened to me today. I got prepared to fly and the app told me there was a firmware update for the RC and aircraft. I thought that I had already updated everything to the latest version about a week ago, but I let it run is course and update again, I did not not which version it was. I was going for a walk and wanted to try the follow me mode. I launched the aircraft and it automatically set the home point. I activated my follow me mode and it started following me. I got about a block away and it said connection was lost, the drone was only about 30 feet behind me and about 15 feet high. I had the remote control in my hand and the video feed was gone and I had no control. It initiated RTH and started to climb. It popped up a box for the RTH and asked if I wanted to cancel, I chose yes because the drone was literally feet from me. It did not cancel and climbed and returned to home. I walked back to my house to find it hovering over my truck in the driveway at about 7 feet high. I reached up and tried to turn it off but the battery would not shut down. I removed it and that turned it off. I’m really confused why I would just lose connection that close to it. I need to go look at all the firmware versions but what happened is unacceptable. Luckily I recovered the drone and it did what it was supposed to.

Yes I heard from other people also that they have connection issues with the mavic air. I heard sometimes reupdating your drone + rc via the computer works out better. Via your phone the update gets stuck sometimes (from my experience). Eventually it gets to 100% but maybe with a corrupt firmware on it. Not sure that is the cause but it might have something to do with it.
2018-4-20
Use props
tw_stockman
lvl.1

Karolina Posted at 2018-4-18 12:01
Haha  I hope the neighbor wasn't too much mad about it

Haha no it's OK it didn't break anything in his garden. Luckily!
2018-4-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules