New P4A owner...
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Oldmaninwva
lvl.4
Flight distance : 9750253 ft
United States

Have been flying a P4 until very recently when I lost it during a Litchi mission that took it out of comm range...  In other words, it failed to return..

Have purchased a used P4 advanced off of eBay and will be getting it tomorrow and was wondering, aside from the better camera and a higher cap battery are there any other differences it may have over the P4?  are there any major iussues with firmware updates like I've had with the P4 last year..

The one I purchased claims only a few flights hours but no charger (no prob there, already have 2 along with a car charger).  Picked it up for $620 plus shipping so I dont think I did too bad really...  Was wanting the better camera but really did not need all of the extra sensors that the Pro offers.

2018-3-25
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

So you bought it sight unseen?  Hmmm, don't know if I would have gone that route.  The price seems ok,  but the Advanced is kind of the black sheep of the P4 world.  They don't seem to upgrade the firmware very often or provide a ton of support for the drone.  Aside from the camera, not a lot of differences from the P4 you had.  Oh, but what a camera it is!  You plan on doing anymore Litchi flights after your loss?
2018-3-25
Use props
Oldmaninwva
lvl.4
United States

I have had pretty good luck with used purchases off of ebay and amazon so with a good return policy of the seller I'm okay with it..
as far as using Litchi again, I'm sure I will...  The loss of the P4 was not Litchi's fault.  The bird had over 450 recorded flights and over 800 miles of flight time so it's loss could have been from anything really...  I had replaced the shell (arm stress crack) and while I had it open I went ahead and replaced all 4 motors.  It's quite possible my soldering may have failed and downed the AC...  It's also quite possible that a nesting eagle or hawk could have attacked it too as I was flying over a heavily wooded and raptor populated area.  That Litchi mission I had done numerous times without a hitch but this last time I took off from a lower elevation so loss of connection occurred....  It's also possible that the loss of connection location might very well be where the P4 went down, just have not had the chance to go look for it.

The lack of support from DJI is probably my only concern, but at least of the P4's the P4A is still on their site as a system still being sold..  They've discontinued the P4 it seems.

More postings to come I'm sure, after I put the bird thru it's trials.

Thanks for the response.
2018-3-25
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

Oldmaninwva Posted at 2018-3-25 07:29
I have had pretty good luck with used purchases off of ebay and amazon so with a good return policy of the seller I'm okay with it..
as far as using Litchi again, I'm sure I will...  The loss of the P4 was not Litchi's fault.  The bird had over 450 recorded flights and over 800 miles of flight time so it's loss could have been from anything really...  I had replaced the shell (arm stress crack) and while I had it open I went ahead and replaced all 4 motors.  It's quite possible my soldering may have failed and downed the AC...  It's also quite possible that a nesting eagle or hawk could have attacked it too as I was flying over a heavily wooded and raptor populated area.  That Litchi mission I had done numerous times without a hitch but this last time I took off from a lower elevation so loss of connection occurred....  It's also possible that the loss of connection location might very well be where the P4 went down, just have not had the chance to go look for it.

Seems you know what you're doing, good luck to you.  And be careful with that soldering...
2018-3-25
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Besides to the major features of camera and battery, the transmission range is extended to 7 km, and the obstacle sensing range is increased from 15 m to 30 m. For the discontinued products, we will offer technical service, feel free to contact us if you encounter any difficulties.
2018-3-26
Use props
Oldmaninwva
lvl.4
United States

Unfortunately the auction that I won for the P4A was not an advanced model as described.  The eBayer had missed a prefilled block that described an auction he had earlier for the P4A...
However all was not lost, he agreed to refund 200 of my auction payment so I got a fairly new P4 with less than 8 flight hours....  for $420.00 so I cannot complain I guess.

Now I need to sell off the new Polar Pro cinema series filters that I had purchased for the Advanced...  
2018-3-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules