Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Is Spark still WORTH IT in 2018?
12Next >
12785 49 2018-3-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DroneSupremacy
Captain
Flight distance : 2060915 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

Hey everyone,

I've been flying the Spark ever since it got released and I still love it. In the video below I discuss whether the drone is still relevant in 2018.

Please let me know what you think, I've put a lot of effort into creating the video

Best,

Mike
2018-3-25
Use props
SOUNDWAVE439
Second Officer
Flight distance : 115597 ft
United States

All drones are relevant mate? No matter the size
2018-3-25
Use props
Gunship9
Captain
United States

Depends on the pilot.  Some pilots need autopilot very badly and need the best navigation systems.  The spark has only one compass and one GPS receiver.  Not the best systems but good for the size of the drone.  The nav systems can have issues on long distant flight which puts the pilot back in control.  If they are Maverick then all is good.  If they are Larry, Moe, or Curly,...
2018-3-25
Use props
Enri
Second Officer
Flight distance : 683501 ft
Italy

For what you get at 2018's prices is a best buy....
2018-3-25
Use props
jyc
Captain
Flight distance : 2246224 ft

Mine is just as good as it was last years ;-)
2018-3-25
Use props
Solestacz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 489193 ft
United States

to me? sure it's worth it. i'd buy again now.
2018-3-25
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

For the price tag I'd say yes - ideal for those getting into the hobby or on tighter budgets/don't want to drop a grand on their first drone.
2018-3-25
Use props
ZarcTheSpark
Captain
Flight distance : 460676 ft
United States

those are some guady houses...but I love the desert myself.
2018-3-25
Use props
drewhoover
Second Officer
Flight distance : 323455 ft
United States

First off, great video. There was tons of great footage and really good insight on what an experienced drone pilot has to say on the Spark.
I think the Spark is great for learners, but because we are so used to the Spark by now, the Mavic Pro/Air are great options for upgrades because we want something better.
To someone new to the drone market, I still always recommend the Spark without any experience bias.
2018-3-25
Use props
Flighty
Captain
Flight distance : 1977175 ft
Croatia

Still relevant. Great machine and I love flying it.
2018-3-25
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

There is a lot to like about the Spark
Even in 2018.
2018-3-25
Use props
ArnoSpark
First Officer
Kenya

I agree and thanks for the amazing clip, thanks for sharing it here
2018-3-26
Use props
DroneSupremacy
Captain
  • >>>
Bulgaria

Thanks everybody for your positive feedback!
The Spark definitely has a lot to offer even now, agree with you that's it's one of the best starters drone out there.
It was the drone that I started my YouTube channel with, so it definitely has a special place in my heart
2018-3-26
Use props
Miaz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 104121 ft
Denmark

I just love the spark. i would buy it again and again. i have heard rumors of a spark 2 ?? how can it be better,.. beside upgrading the gimbal.
2018-3-26
Use props
Oli-Shields
lvl.2
Flight distance : 62766 ft

United Kingdom

Good video, thank you
2018-3-26
Use props
Folody
lvl.1

Philippines

I'm taking most of your insights and suggestions. I did saw a lot of videos regarding it as well but the one in this thread is a great one. A very nice discussion here.
2018-3-26
Use props
embayweather
Captain
Flight distance : 556667 ft
United Kingdom

Just off to fly my Spark, well if the sea fog goes anyway. Absolutely still relevant and will be for many years to come. I doubt I will ever swap or get rid of my little aircraft.
2018-3-26
Use props
FXF
lvl.4
Flight distance : 68123 ft

Austria

First thank you for the great Video. As I was a newbe a couple of month ago SPARK was the right drone to come closer to this hobby. So if someone starts with this Hobby, this drone would be a really good and stable starting choice.
What also count for me are in conjunction with necessary but strict regualtions. increasing in all countries more and more. With SPARK you might be on a safe way to fly in a lot of countries because of theit low weight. This low weight might be the difference between a Hobby drone and a "professional" drone in your local regualations (look at your local regulations).
Last but not least - in the meantime I love my SPARK with all her faults (OTG....). SPARK never let me alone till today - so for me ist worth also in 2018
2018-3-26
Use props
RGMGFitness
Captain
Flight distance : 233757 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sparks still a great product.  Just as you described..it really comes down to the users preferences and price point.  No regrets buying the SPARK but I also own the Mavic Air and for me personally I find more value in the Mavic Air for what I'm doing.  For others, who are the casual flyer and just want to take some great drone shots while on vacation (or traveling) it's simple to use and gets the job done.  

For those who want to spend a little extra time learning the in's and out's of a newer and more advanced drone than the Mavic Air would be something to look at.  As you've stated, you'll get the most out of your Mavic Air by going into the MANUAL SETTINGS of the CAMERA, and additionally adjusting the IOS, SHUTTER SPEED, EXPOSURE, ETC.   So, it really depends on what you want in a drone.  

I would still buy the SPARK to get my feet wet with drone flying and then progress into more expensive drones as my interests grow.

Nice video..thanks for sharing.  
2018-3-26
Use props
jh8
First Officer
Flight distance : 39685 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Spark is great: compact, light, built like a tank and ready-to-go in an instant. Except for the wifi connection in EU/CE mode, very unreliable.
And a lot of people seem to forget that it has similar or even better (sharper) Jpg photo quality as the Air!
Even the 1080p video quality is generally good enough for me.  I personally have no no real need for those huge 4k files.
2018-3-26
Use props
czechmark01
First Officer
Flight distance : 1078343 ft
  • >>>
United States

I’ve had my Spark since December, 2017. So far it is all I need, given the VLOS restrictions of the FAA.
2018-3-26
Use props
IceBox-Murdock
Second Officer
Flight distance : 43845 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes, this is still very relevant and valuable. Although my first drone was the MP, I still love the Spark despite its noisy props. I love the portability. Its all ready when you pull it out of its bag, no legs to unfold. For me, this is the best small drone.
2018-3-26
Use props
Sparky_17
Captain
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

I love my spark and it's still relevent in 2018.
2018-3-26
Use props
iiaXeii
Second Officer
Flight distance : 31047 ft
Canada

using it now to introduce friends and my kids to the hobby while I'm more focussed on my Mavic Air personnally
2018-3-26
Use props
Viking-Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 2379249 ft
Spain

I still love mine but must admit that I would like a better drone, like a P4 or MPP, one that's flying with a better range and not using WIFI.
2018-3-26
Use props
Mike459
lvl.2
Flight distance : 177343 ft
Austria

I can say to everybody: come , get it, fly and be happy with a little flying "Spark"
2018-3-26
Use props
AlexVideoShark 5
Captain
Flight distance : 4522884 ft
  • >>>
Italy

hey ... great post ...
I believe that the spark is an excellent drone, even now in 2018
dji builds excellent drones ...
in Italy, drones of 300g allow to do many jobs, because the law considers them harmless ...
so many people, usaully change to lighten the spark to work, without being forced to ask too many permissions ...

so, I believe that even on a professional level, to start working, it can be good ...

then we will see what will happen soon with the arrival of new drones (maybe not dji maybe yes)
the field of drones is quickly upgradable ... like everything in technology

for now hurray the spark (better if lightened 300g)

link last my video:    skypixel video link
2018-3-26
Use props
sidtx
Second Officer
Flight distance : 266729 ft
United States

Relevance of the Spark in 2018 is all relevant to what you want to use a drone for.

For casual and personal use,  I don't think there is a better drone than the Spark.

If you need better video, than the Mavic and/or P4 might be a better choice.

If you just want the latest and greatest technology -- the Mavic might be a better choice.

I have both a P3S and the Spark.   Both meet my needs completely -- which is fun and casual flying,  and getting ariel pics/videos of things I'm interested in.   As I don't publish or sell anything,  the Spark and P3S photos and video are more than adequate for my needs.   In fact, the P3S is more than adequate.   The main reason I added the Spark to my collection is that it is smaller and easier to grab and go than the Phantom.

I'd be willing to bet that for 90% of all missions that people use a drone for,  the Spark is more than adequate!

It all comes down to what you need and what you want.   Need higher resolution/better video -- got to get a Mavic or P4.       Just want better tech -- got to get a Mavic or P4.    Want portability, fun and are happy with the photo/video quality -- then  you will be happy with the Spark.

I'm very, very happy with my Spark.   And still happy with my P3S and still fly it.

Sid

2018-3-26
Use props
Oracle Miata
Captain
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

I still adore this tough tiny bird.
2018-3-26
Use props
Skymax.
lvl.4
Australia

You always remember you're First.
There are less issues here with the SPARK than any other model, and at $USD460 with a controller ATM nothing comes close to it for value.
2018-3-26
Use props
RjMllr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 17913 ft
Philippines

Great insights for the Spark! Again, another great video! Thank you for sharing
2018-3-26
Use props
JoeCec
First Officer
Flight distance : 3491430 ft
  • >>>
United States

Still fly my often.
2018-3-27
Use props
CoreyB10
Captain
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It's a pointless question really, asking if Spark is still relevant in 2018. I know people who still fly a P3A due to the fact it's relevant to their use of the drone. It's like all the lame comparisons between Mavic and the Air. Each to their own my friend. Yes it's a nice vid but what craft do you think you need against what you need to use it for. Without realising you have answered your own question. You love the Spark, it's relevant to you and your uses. It's a nice drone. Done. Sorry for being blunt by the way.
2018-3-28
Use props
djiuser_Kf4iPA3DtL3S
First Officer
Flight distance : 510968 ft
Israel

Wouldn't buy it again in 2018. Better choices out there even considering the price. The newer models will also get more developmental attention for improvements, new features etc.
2018-3-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I think it will be relevant for awhile yet, it flys great it takes great photos/videos and is amazingly portable. Everything is really easy to edit. Everything is easy to charge, it still has many features MavAir doesn’t have. And it’s the best fun you can have with your clothes on...
2018-3-28
Use props
Kaiku
lvl.3

NICE VIDEO!
2018-3-28
Use props
DroneSupremacy
Captain
  • >>>
Bulgaria

Big thanks everyone! Means a lot
2018-3-28
Use props
Tekpc
New

India

You want o know more to learn something advance for your computer education. then visit home cyber security tips
2018-3-30
Use props
m1n1s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 319915 ft
United Kingdom

nice video

sure the Spark is still a good buy in 2018 and the best bit is we know all her weakness now so we can fit the accessories to make the experience better and safer
2018-3-31
Use props
SweeperAZ
lvl.1
Flight distance : 725 ft

I love my Spark and am in no hurry to upgrade at this time. About the only advice I could give you is to ask yourself "Is this drone doing what I need it to?" every now and then. If the answer starts becoming "No." then start looking for a new one that can.
2018-4-1
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules