Image quailty / download source
1545 6 2018-3-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Matt2018
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Hi,

Images that are straight from the SD card onto my macbook seem to look great in quality. However if i download images from the DJI app on my iPhone and view them in my camera roll they are very grainy. Any reason why?

Secondly, if im saving these images on my macbook what format is will retain more quailty TIFF, JPEG or RAW.

thanks
2018-3-26
Use props
chiplifter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 745180 ft
Netherlands

As far as I know, the quality on the phone is a low preview version of the image. Full image quality is stored on the SD card in the phone. Please correct me if I am wrong.
2018-3-26
Use props
chiplifter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 745180 ft
Netherlands

you can enable raw format in the DJI Go 4 app. A DNG extension image will be saved containing the raw formatted image.  I do not know the difference between RAW and DNG.
2018-3-26
Use props
Axeli
Second Officer
Flight distance : 339416 ft
Czechia

Yes that's true. Definitely RAW.
2018-3-26
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

chiplifter Posted at 2018-3-26 05:17
As far as I know, the quality on the phone is a low preview version of the image. Full image quality is stored on the SD card in the phone. Please correct me if I am wrong.

This is correct. These are low resolution cached pictures. Full quality only on the SD or the internal memory of the MA.Concerning the other question I can only answer what I have learned in this forum because I have not yet tested it myself. It seems that when the pictures are taken in raw farmat they contain much more image data that can be used in post production.
2018-3-26
Use props
Matt2018
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Thank you all for your help.
@chiplifter - "you can enable raw format in the DJI Go 4 app."
Do you know how I can do this? and... I guess if I save them as RAW format from the app to my camera roll they will still be lame quality? therefore whats the benefit of that?

2018-3-26
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Raw images have all of the data from the camera sensor, so you can get the most quality from them.  However, they will look pretty bad if you don't process them.  RAW requires you to spend time editing them in an editor to recover the data that you want.  
2018-3-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules