Talking a Spark to Thailand But not flying.
2611 12 2018-3-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
max100
lvl.1
Sri Lanka

Hi, Im new here. My girlfriend and i meeting in phuket (At the moment we are in different countires.) And she is bringing me a Dji Spark as a gift. I wont be flying it there since i heard they have strict rules now. My Quesion is, is it allowed to bring drones there? Thanks in advance. Please let me know soon as possible as I will be leaving to Phuket within 48 hours.

2018-3-26
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

First: They mostly don't check Hand luggage at Phuket(Thailands) Airport(s) on arrival.
Second: You/she don't import it, you/she is planing to take it with you/her, after a stop over from xx days.
Take it out of the original box, so that it does not look like you wanna sell a brandnew drone here.
And you are not planning to fly it, on arrival I mean ;-)

For not flying and strict rules:
Yep, the rules are strict.
But that does not mean, the law enforcer are strict enforcing it by the letter of the law.
I would register with the NBTC in Kathu/Phuket, that is a free 20-30 minutes "walk in with the drone" -process.
Just in case any law enforcer is ever thinking about enforcing the law, and not charging you 500 or 1000 baht 'fine' only,
and forget about the CAAT registration, which needs month. Not having that is anyway a lot cheaper, as not having the NBTC one
Chose your flight areas carefully, close to the parasailing guys at the beach is not the best idea.
Unless your gf would fly with 'em, of course. That would change everything ;-)
Have a nice holiday

2018-3-26
Use props
max100
lvl.1
Sri Lanka

Thank you for all your info. I did planed on bringing a racing drone with me because i have 10 of those i build. But this is a gift. Can i ask how long and how much will it take to obtain a license? Because we are only staying there for a week. Thanks again.
2018-3-26
Use props
mark_s
lvl.2

Russia

Hi Max,
You can register your drone in Thai to be sure, detailed instruction is here, may be it would help to have a good time. Regards.
Register drone in Thailand to fly
2018-3-26
Use props
max100
lvl.1
Sri Lanka

Thanks Mark. Seems that its easier to try S-e-ven way. I was planing not to fly at all. Because it is a gift and i dont want them to take it. But if im flying i want be flying around people. We are planing to stay in khao sok 1st two days then in then to our hotel and next day in pi pi. so all i want is to get few footage in floating houses khao sok tour. and few selfies from our tree house. That is all and take the drone back with me.
2018-3-26
Use props
mark_s
lvl.2

Russia

max100 Posted at 2018-3-26 11:58
Thanks Mark. Seems that its easier to try S-e-ven way. I was planing not to fly at all. Because it is a gift and i dont want them to take it. But if im flying i want be flying around people. We are planing to stay in khao sok 1st two days then in then to our hotel and next day in pi pi. so all i want is to get few footage in floating houses khao sok tour. and few selfies from our tree house. That is all and take the drone back with me.

I wish I were there, I love Thai )) Have a good time for all of us being here still in winter...
2018-3-27
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

First: Your gf should leave the original box at home! That was not so clear in my first comment, methinks
I highly doubt that anyone in the Khao Sok Resort will complain or tell the police or even ask you, whether you are registered or not.
As long as the other guest not complaining, you won't get in trouble! So make friends first, promisse them dronies, ......!
(Works with guesthouse owners/hotels too, sometimes. Thinking off PhiPhi, flying it from the hotel roof, perhaps? ;-)
I think that I would ask the managing staff from the hotel, b/c you (we, registered or not) should ask the owner/tenant of the ground, you/we wanna start/fly!
Name it as a kind of a honeymoon trip ;-)

The registration with CAAT needs still to long. That is b/c even foreigners needs police authorisation: "Did he/she ever did a crime in Thailand"
The registration with NBTC however is quick. But only if you stay somewhere close to an office. Krabi, Phuket comes in mind.
Btw: There are so many fresh Spark videos out. Do you think, all these people registered?
Don't pi** somebody off, and it should be ok (own experience).
Don't fly obviously over people/crowd, usually NOT on temple areas (unless you have asked) or direct over Buddha statures.
Take your starting point aside the masses, best in the shade if possible.
You'll see  a lot more on your screen, and it is hot in Thailand, in the sun right now.

Have fun, Thailand is really not bad as a holiday destination
2018-3-27
Use props
max100
lvl.1
Sri Lanka

Thank you so much for the info. Much appropriated. I am a experience pilot since i do FPV racing. I will keep all the info in mind. Hopping to enjoy our vacation.

Again thank you all for your info and wishes. After the vacation i will post here how it went.  
2018-3-27
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

max100 Posted at 2018-3-27 09:04
Thank you so much for the info. Much appropriated. I am a experience pilot since i do FPV racing. I will keep all the info in mind. Hopping to enjoy our vacation.

Again thank you all for your info and wishes. After the vacation i will post here how it went.

Hi, you can also learn the NFZ info in our website. Please find a suitable place to fly your drone before flight. Here is the link: https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map
2018-3-28
Use props
mark_s
lvl.2

Russia

Max, I see you are from Shri Lanka, and what is a situation there, some restrictions? I was in Unawatuna couple of years ago and fond of its nature.
2018-3-29
Use props
max100
lvl.1
Sri Lanka

Mark im really sorry for the delay to reply. Just got back to Sri Lanka and my gf went back to Australia. Didnt had any issues got some great videos. Thank you guys for all the advice. In Sri Lanka you need a permit which no one takes. Dont worry about anything just come down and do your stuff. Just dont hit anything in temples.  No one will say anything when you fly around. Come down and have fun. Yes unawatuna is cool. Even i am a Sri Lankan i was there only 5 times. Mostly i stay away from the country. If your coming down and should you need any help from me, I can give you my email and would love to help you out with anything I can. Again sorry for the delay to reply. In profession i am a web and software developer so in my holidays i want to keep away my phones and laptops that's why i didn't see your reply.  
2018-4-5
Use props
mark_s
lvl.2

Russia

max100 Posted at 2018-4-5 17:48
Mark im really sorry for the delay to reply. Just got back to Sri Lanka and my gf went back to Australia. Didnt had any issues got some great videos. Thank you guys for all the advice. In Sri Lanka you need a permit which no one takes. Dont worry about anything just come down and do your stuff. Just dont hit anything in temples.  No one will say anything when you fly around. Come down and have fun. Yes unawatuna is cool. Even i am a Sri Lankan i was there only 5 times. Mostly i stay away from the country. If your coming down and should you need any help from me, I can give you my email and would love to help you out with anything I can. Again sorry for the delay to reply. In profession i am a web and software developer so in my holidays i want to keep away my phones and laptops  that's why i didn't see your reply.

Hi Max, really no matter to excuse, thanks a lot for your kind reply. A strange world is nowdays, my gf lives also far avay from me, in another country. Anyway I'm grateful for your info and would look through your Thai photo/videos if any. Cheers.
2018-4-10
Use props
max100
lvl.1
Sri Lanka

I will post some pics and videos soon and your most welcome.
2018-4-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules