Are all filters created equal
4674 16 2018-3-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sky6105
Second Officer
Flight distance : 345653 ft
United States

You here so much about filters is there a big difference or are they pretty much equal.
You have Sunnylife You have Freewell and Polarpro filters and maybe other ones out there for theMavic Air.
Do you think there is a quality difference in the ones I listed above.
Would like to here from someone that may have had any of these to compair with the others.

Thanks
Rudy
2018-3-26
Use props
Phantom Help
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've tried lots of filters. The biggest differences I see between them are the quality of the materials used to build the filter, the size/weight of the filter, and the way the filter attaches to the camera. There are always the usual brands that are always known to work well (DJI, Taco-RC, and PGYTECH in addition to those you already mentioned). There is almost never a very noticeable difference between the images/video produced by any of these major brands (even though some claim to use superb materials).
2018-3-26
Use props
sky6105
Second Officer
United States

Thank you for the information.
2018-3-26
Use props
Face-AcheNZ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 96631 ft
New Zealand

Phantom Help Posted at 2018-3-26 11:02
I've tried lots of filters. The biggest differences I see between them are the quality of the materials used to build the filter, the size/weight of the filter, and the way the filter attaches to the camera. There are always the usual brands that are always known to work well (DJI, Taco-RC, and PGYTECH in addition to those you already mentioned). There is almost never a very noticeable difference between the images/video produced by any of these major brands (even though some claim to use superb materials).

Thank you for this - i've been wondering about the premium PolarPro filters, versus the cheaper Sunnylife and JSR filters that you can get elsewhere, trying to figure out if 3x the price equates to 3x the quality.

I know there's a school of thought that says why would you put lower quality filters on your expensive drone, to which i'd say "Money!". My "Minister of Finance" (wife) is already unhappy with all the extra stuff i've been buying for my Mavic Air, and NZD$70 is much easier pill to swallow than NZD$270!  
2018-3-26
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

Face-AcheNZ Posted at 2018-3-26 11:11
Thank you for this - i've been wondering about the premium PolarPro filters, versus the cheaper Sunnylife and JSR filters that you can get elsewhere, trying to figure out if 3x the price equates to 3x the quality.

I know there's a school of thought that says why would you put lower quality filters on your expensive drone, to which i'd say "Money!". My "Minister of Finance" (wife) is already unhappy with all the extra stuff i've been buying for my Mavic Air, and NZD$70 is much easier pill to swallow than NZD$270!

I use the Sunnylife and they work just fine, didn't get the complete set as I rarely use anything but the ND filters. Cheap enough too.
Sunnylife Mavic Air Filters EBay

2018-3-26
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

All cars get you from A-B but they are not all the same. Similar principle with ND filters - coatings, weight, materials used etc all play a big part in the overall quality and the impact it has on the footage (and gimbal).
2018-3-26
Use props
sky6105
Second Officer

A CW Posted at 2018-3-26 12:33
All cars get you from A-B but they are not all the same. Similar principle with ND filters - coatings, weight, materials used etc all play a big part in the overall quality and the impact it has on the footage (and gimbal).

So the old saying you get what you pay for goes for these filters also.
Which ones do you recommend.
2018-3-26
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-3-26 12:33
All cars get you from A-B but they are not all the same. Similar principle with ND filters - coatings, weight, materials used etc all play a big part in the overall quality and the impact it has on the footage (and gimbal).

Correct.  From several posts, one of issues is filters having to much mass, resulting in gimbal start-up errors.
2018-3-26
Use props
Bob Brown
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ive only ever used Polar Pro's on my MP after watching 30+ youtube videos all saying the same thing.. "go Polar Pro or stay home"
2018-3-26
Use props
burnham187
First Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

I use the Neewer ND filters and am very happy with them. They go on very easy and never have a gimbal issue.  I am very pleased with them and especially that I didn't pay more than 2x the price for the PolarPro.
2018-3-26
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

sky6105 Posted at 2018-3-26 16:16
So the old saying you get what you pay for goes for these filters also.
Which ones do you recommend.

Hahaha - I guess so mate
2018-3-26
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-3-26 16:35
Correct.  From several posts, one of issues is filters having to much mass, resulting in gimbal start-up errors.

Yep - the cheaper ones can damage the gimbal.
2018-3-26
Use props
Wyke
lvl.4
Flight distance : 33166 ft
United Kingdom

I’ve just received my DJI ones but if I flew with them on I’d be flying blind. The weather is rubbish.
2018-3-27
Use props
Kandomere
lvl.3
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-3-26 23:50
Yep - the cheaper ones can damage the gimbal.

from reading the posts, no one really knows which nd filter is better.
Freewell has some flaring issues. Polar pro claim to solve this by adding extra coating.
Sunnylife solve this by adding a small brim around the lens to act as a mini lens hood.

2018-4-21
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

I have no glaring issues with my neewer filters. I am very happy with them. They go on and come off without issue. Gimbal calibrated without issue. And all for more than half the price of polar pro. Best purchase for my MP thus far
2018-4-21
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Kandomere Posted at 2018-4-21 18:11
from reading the posts, no one really knows which nd filter is better.
Freewell has some flaring issues. Polar pro claim to solve this by adding extra coating.
Sunnylife solve this by adding a small brim around the lens to act as a mini lens hood.

I'd say polar pro cinema series are the best with DJI's being a good, cheaper alternative
2018-4-22
Use props
bomberuk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 16759 ft
United Kingdom

i use the sunnylife nd16 and the nd8 for the mavic 2 pro great fit and good quality loads cheaper than polar pro but just as good ;)
2018-10-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules