Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJI Grace
Administrator
Flight distance : 405039 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Drones for Kids – All You Need to Know

Drones have become a popular gift for children and for good reason. Drones can provide endless hours of flying fun and a way to expand knowledge from hand-eye coordination to Science Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) skills. But not every drone is suitable for young users. Before you introduce your child to the world of droning, take some time to consider the different types of drones available.

Racing vs Camera Drones

Kid-friendly drones generally come in two main types: camera drones and racing drones. Camera drones are equipped with a built-in camera and will allow your child to unleash their inner creativity. Racing drones are primarily designed to encourage the user to customize and optimize their drone for maximum speed. These drones can also be equipped with a camera but may require a higher level of skill to fly. They are suitable for slightly older children who have perhaps displayed a passion for science and speed.

Safety is Essential
While drones guarantee hours of fun (with multiple battery charges, of course), they also have a serious side. Understanding drone safety guidelines is essential before taking off for the first time. DJI has a range of great resources for first-time drone flyers, but it’s important to know local laws and regulations too. Take the time to learn these with your child before their maiden flight. Because of the potential danger drones pose, they are usually listed as 14+ products and therefore it is your responsibility as a parent or guardian to make sure you follow these age restriction laws and guidelines.

Features to Consider

Drones vary wildly in size and operating methods. It is important to consider the ease-of-use of a drone before purchasing one for your child. Look for a drone that has an easy start feature to make launch day simple. A quick return to home button is also an important feature to make sure your child’s drone can return back to them quickly and safely. Drones that have intuitive control systems will make sure your child gets the most out of their drone and will encourage them to learn more if they can master the basics of flying quickly.

Rugged Design

Like all toys, drones need to be able to withstand the rough and tumble of play. But not all drones are created equally. Look for a drone that has easy to replace propellers and a design that will be forgiving of a few false starts. There would be nothing sadder for parents and children alike to see a cherished gift smashed to pieces on its maiden flight.

Price Point

The final point of consideration when buying a drone is price. Compare the quality of the drone’s componentry with the price point. Buying from a reputable drone maker will mean you have customer and technical support even after you have purchased it. Meaning, go for a brand that has a solid presence online and a clear method of communicating with its customers. Here are some options for getting a young one flying their first drone.

Drones for kids reviews

tello.png
Chinese startup Ryze Tech offers an affordable drone called Tello with technology from Intel and DJI. The $99 mini-drone has a camera that captures 360-degree video and streams live footage to a tablet and a selection of third-party VR headsets. The Tello drone, which weighs just 80 grams, can fly for 13 minutes and shoots 5-megapixel photos – perfect for the budding photographer, filmmaker or aspiring young drone pilot at home.
You don’t need to be a skilled pilot to capture great footage either. Tello comes with the DJI EZ shots feature, which means awesome short films are a cinch to make. Just set the drone’s mode to Circle, 360 or Up & Away and Tello’s software will capture and edit the perfect video story for you. As your junior drone enthusiast begins their training, Tello is a safe indoor drone too. It’s lightweight and sturdy design means it’s super kid-friendly.

DJI Spark

GTScreenshot_20180327_181043.png

Another great option when looking to invest in a drone for younger family members is the DJI Spark. If your kids are not only budding drone enthusiasts but keen on the sports field, this is a brilliant choice for capturing family activities or even sports from the air. Spark shoots 12-megapixel shooter good for video at 1080p (30 fps) that delivers great photos and video. Spark flies about 16 minutes per charge.

The ActiveTrack feature automatically recognizes moving objects and tracks them reliably according to what they are and how fast they move. This is an excellent drone for kids that follows the user, so you’ll never miss another winning moment! Spark is intuitive to use and can be operated with Gesture Control. That's right. Use simple hand gestures to control the drone and get it to do cool maneuvers in various selfie modes. It's super fun and intuitive.

GTScreenshot_20180327_181200.png

Register

Once you’ve made your choice of drone, it’s important to follow some simple steps to make sure you get the most out of your drone experience. First, check whether it’s necessary to register your drone with local authorities. Even though drones for kids don’t seem dangerous it is important to cover all bases. If you’re based in the United States, the FAA requires all drones over 250 g (0.55 lbs) to be registered. Just head to the FAA’s website and pay the five dollar registration fee.

Insurance
The next step is to insure your drone in case of accidental breakage. DJI Care provides peace of mind for drone users. Repair fees and related costs connected to damage to your DJI aircraft, gimbal or camera sustained during normal use will be covered by DJI after you purchase the service plan.

Read the Manual!

Once you are covered it’s time to get flying – well almost. Take some time before your maiden voyage to read the drone’s manual carefully. By taking the time now, you’ll have a richer and more enjoyable drone experience. As well as studying the manual, it’s crucial to familiarize both you and your child with the safe flying tips on the DJI website. Propeller guards, small attachments to your drone that fit over the propellers, are essential when first learning to fly a drone. The propeller guards will protect both the drone and any objects that might accidentally hit as new drone pilots master their device.

Adult Supervision
Ok – so it’s time to fly! But whether you’re about to launch your new Spark or Tello, it’s essential for fun and safety that children operating a drone are always supervised by an adult.

Happy Droning!
Drone flying is an activity the whole family can enjoy together. Children can use their drone to explore many skills and interests through their drone flying from creatively capturing videos, to learning about the engineering behind these incredible machines.

Happy droning!
The content origins from :  BUYING GUIDES

2018-3-27
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Great post Grace - I have a 15 month old son who is already taking an interest
2018-3-27
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

United States

A CW Posted at 2018-3-27 03:58

Mine 10 y.o. flies sub 100US$ MJX Bugs 3 Mini with like 50 US$ RunCam in an acro mode. Kids are fast learners and not afraid they'll break something. Cost wise and feature wise it's far more affordable than suggested drones, IMHO. And kids will also learn to fly PROPERLY without unreliable external help (altitude hold, gps hold...)
2018-3-27
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

eYeSkYeYe Posted at 2018-3-27 06:36
Mine 10 y.o. flies sub 100US$ MJX Bugs 3 Mini with like 50 US$ RunCam in an acro mode.  Kids are fast learners and not afraid they'll break something. Cost wise and feature wise it's far more affordable than suggested drones, IMHO. And kids will also learn to fly PROPERLY without unreliable external help (altitude hold, gps hold...)

Mine is at the age where he would rather try and eat the drone so he has quite a few years yet before he'll be flying an Inspire
2018-3-27
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

HIGHLY recommend the Parrot Mambo with FlyPad controller.  Widely available for under $100.  My grandson (6) has been flying one indoors for over a year.  Very durable and has a feature that stops the blades when it encounters an immoveable object :-)  Nice to have a controller that was MADE specifically for the quad.  Plus it's fully programable.  Has gotten him into coding his own flights.

FWIW, all the "safe" features can be switched on and off to help with learning curve.  Been around longer than Tello and the software/firmware is "mature"
2018-3-27
Use props
burnham187
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

Very good post.  I got my kid a small drone that he absolutely loves.  He is too young to fly himself so I fly it for him in the house.  
2018-3-27
Use props
Hellsgate
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

My grandkids just want to catch drones and see how quick they can tear it appart.
So a few more years for them i think
2018-3-27
Use props
RjMllr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 17913 ft
Philippines

15 month old interested in drones? Maybe he sees it as a food

2018-3-27
Use props
Droner500
lvl.4
United States

Also the phantom 3 standard is a good drone for 10 year old's (and up), well... as long as they have been flying drones for a few years and know how to keep control.
2018-3-27
Use props
DJI Grace
Administrator
  • >>>
Hong Kong

wow
he must be so cute!
2018-3-27
Use props
The Bash's
lvl.4

United States

I have let my 10 year old fly my Spark in gesture mode while I maintained the remote.  She is addicted so I know it won't be long till I am making the purchase.
2018-3-27
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Very nice.
Our youngest can't wait
2018-3-27
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Grace Posted at 2018-3-27 18:39
wow
he must be so cute!

He is! I'll use the drone to take a photo of him soon and post it for you
2018-3-27
Use props
DJI Grace
Administrator
  • >>>
Hong Kong

A CW Posted at 2018-3-27 23:02
He is! I'll use the drone to take a photo of him soon and post it for you

wow
look forward to that!
2018-3-27
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

Thanks for the post.  Should do something simular for the gimbled camera (OSMO, OSMO+, Osmo Mobile and Osmo Mobile 2).
2018-3-28
Use props
FatherXmas
First Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

My 8yo grandson flies my Spark every chance he gets, he's getting pretty good at it.
2018-3-28
Use props
DJI Grace
Administrator
  • >>>
Hong Kong

FatherXmas Posted at 2018-3-28 17:51
My 8yo grandson flies my Spark every chance he gets, he's getting pretty good at it.

wow! So sweet!
look forward to seeing his work here
2018-3-28
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

The Bash's Posted at 2018-3-27 19:04
I have let my 10 year old fly my Spark in gesture mode while I maintained the remote.  She is addicted so I know it won't be long till I am making the purchase.

You will get to keep old beat up Spark, and she will get Inspire 2+.  
2018-3-28
Use props
CoreyB10
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Good post Grace but kids don't have the rational thought processes of adults. Neither do they have a developed notion of right or wrong. Little Timmy wants a drone cos it's the must have accessory to the latest iPhone 50. There is a small age range in years where kids will enjoy them and then they are bored. Just like the electric Swegways or Scooters. It takes longer than 30 mins to charge a battery........Don't want it anymore. Oh God...Read instructions!!!!! Can I do it on my phone. I know kids who love FPV and Quad racers cos it's quick and relates more to a video game...Loads are even damn good at it. Attention span is also a massive factor due to it being so easy to distract them. I see where you are coming from though. I have a 14yr old and am surrounded by them a lot at home and they are just not interested.
2018-3-29
Use props
Droner500
lvl.4
United States

CoreyB10 Posted at 2018-3-29 06:43
Good post Grace but kids don't have the rational thought processes of adults. Neither do they have a developed notion of right or wrong. Little Timmy wants a drone cos it's the must have accessory to the latest iPhone 50. There is a small age range in years where kids will enjoy them and then they are bored. Just like the electric Swegways or Scooters. It takes longer than 30 mins to charge a battery........Don't want it anymore. Oh God...Read instructions!!!!! Can I do it on my phone. I know kids who love FPV and Quad racers cos it's quick and relates more to a video game...Loads are even damn good at it. Attention span is also a massive factor due to it being so easy to distract them. I see where you are coming from though. I have a 14yr old and am surrounded by them a lot at home and they are just not interested.

Actually there are some kids who are more advanced in common sense and who are really interested in drones and drone flying and they also do a lot of research on the stuff. i know this because I am 11 and I have a phantom 3 standard, I always fly very safe, I figured out myself how to register my drone, I do a bunch of research on troubleshooting, maintenance, how to fly, and I have even fixed and troubleshooted my drone before myself.
2018-3-29
Use props
Droner500
lvl.4
United States

Just saying.
2018-3-29
Use props
dji-spark
lvl.2

United States

This is great!!!
2018-3-30
Use props
Droner500
lvl.4
United States

Great post Grace!
2018-3-30
Use props
ro_flyer
First Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

I don't think drones like Spark or heavier are kid's toys at all....
2018-3-31
Use props
mixchief
Second Officer
Flight distance : 182057 ft
  • >>>
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-3-27 08:31
Mine is at the age where he would rather try and eat the drone so he has quite a few years yet before he'll be flying an Inspire

mmmmm, tastes like chicken.
2018-4-3
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

mixchief Posted at 2018-4-3 07:31
mmmmm, tastes like chicken.

LOL - I think that's what the drone would say as more likely to make mince meat out of his face if I let him get too close!
2018-4-4
Use props
Ray_Dunakin
lvl.4

Along with laws, regulations, and safety, I would also suggest that parents discuss privacy. This is a major concern for many people, especially when it comes to drones. A great deal of this concern is due to misconceptions and media exaggerations, but it is still an issue. Kids who want to fly drones should be taught not only to respect people's privacy, but also to take care to avoid even the appearance of invading privacy. (For instance, even if your drone doesn't have a camera, it's still not a good idea to fly it right outside someone bedroom window!)

2018-4-4
Use props
axevalentine
lvl.4
Flight distance : 15272 ft
Georgia

Great Post! Looking forward to get that Tello  Drone.   Looks Funny.
2018-4-7
Use props
darrc
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5558 ft
Singapore

I wouldn’t play brushless drones around kids, never. Or even around people. Tello is good. As are many of the brushed whoops. My daughter loves the Tello.
2018-4-7
Use props
nJo-nJo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 51355 ft
Bulgaria

Drones are not for kids! More of them are not a for a joke!
2018-4-7
Use props
miketmtpro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1883940 ft
United States

Started my nephew on a Syma X20. He loved that little thing. Then I bought him a X5UW. He has done well with it too. Wanted to buy him a Tello for his BD this year. No RC for that one though. I think I may look into another second hand or refurb Spark.  Just that Spark is a little much for a 11 yr old imo.  Fine if supervised, but I know I'd have to keep the Spark with me. His Mom would freak he'll slice his hand up in the props even with guards. So she says she read about online.

closest looking to MP is Eachine E58. Brushed motors, shouldn't be too bad.
2018-4-7
Use props
vdh
lvl.3
Flight distance : 193786 ft
  • >>>
Australia

My grandkids all love using my resident Tello while I play with my Mav Pro.They are learning lots of safety & privacy stuff,even correcting me if I get too close to people (never happens,they are imagining it )
2018-4-19
Use props
LeBonBon
lvl.1

Norway

My wife is pregnant now and I am really glad because now I know that in a few years I'd be able to share my hobbies with the child and it's an amazing feeling. Btw, she told me that she is pregnant just a few days ago and I wanted to make a present for her, what do you think, something like http://pregily.com/ would be fine?
2019-1-16
Use props
RYZE
Super Moderator

Hong Kong

LeBonBon Posted at 1-16 04:23
My wife is pregnant now and I am really glad because now I know that in a few years I'd be able to share my hobbies with the child and it's an amazing feeling. Btw, she told me that she is pregnant just a few days ago and I wanted to make a present for her, what do you think, something like http://pregily.com/ would be fine?

congratulations! That present is very comfortable. You will be the great father!
2019-1-16
Use props
RYZE
Super Moderator

Hong Kong

Bladebringer Posted at 3-6 16:20
This is a very cool idea. Thank you very much.

Thanks for such a nice comment!  That's  our great pleasure :) 
2019-3-6
Use props
RYZE
Super Moderator

Hong Kong

Bladebringer Posted at 3-7 00:32
I wanted to ask your advice. Which is best to buy a drone, so that it is not the most expensive and reliable. I look through the options here http://droneadvisor.tech/catalogue I need a small drone for family shooting and for photo and video while traveling.

How about Tello listed in the post above?
A single Tells charged 109 €on DJI website.
It is quite small with dimension 98×92.5×41 mm.

Shooting photo and video is available, but you may better check if the specs below are sufficed or not.
Photo: 5MP (2592x1936
Video: HD720P30
For more specs, you can click this link: https://www.ryzerobotics.com/tello/specs

In regard to reliable, warmly reminded to avoid the collision by flying in an open environment with good light. Also, It owns a 6-month warranty.

Plus it's programmable with Scratch, python on the computer. If you think it is a bit complicated, then you can also code on Tello Edu APP,  Or on swift playgrounds APP which is available on Ipad.
2019-3-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules