Reasons I got the Advanced, not Pro
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
paul
lvl.2

United States

In another thread someone commented: "I don't know why people are buying the Advanced."

It seems clear the Pro model is far outselling the Advanced.  I currently have a P2V+, and I should have my P3A Friday.  So I don't mind stating my reasons for choosing the Advanced model.

Reason 1) It's almost too obvious... It costs less!  Only I know how the extra few bucks will affect my lifestyle.

Reason 2) The way I use the camera may not be the way you use it.  I fly with my kids, when we go on hikes.  For us, the camera is "enjoyed in the moment" on the tablet FPV.  Occasionally I share flight video with friends or family, but I've learned they aren't nearly as interested as me and the kids.  I'm not interested in photography, or doing much editing, and I don't want to spend time downscaling the resolution to upload to YouTube.  And since I will never be in 4K mode (by mistake or otherwise) the SD card won't get full as quickly.

Reason 3) In case anyone here doesn't know, 1080P video can be absolutely beautiful.  Chances are, that gorgeous 80" High Definition television you use to watch the superbowl is 1080P, and your computer's monitor can't even display all the pixels of 4K video.  For stills, I'll get the same resolution as the Pro.  See below for footage from the P3 Advanced.

Clearly, the Pro is right for a lot of folks, especially those who like to edit footage.  I just don't happen to be one of them.

Yes, I was a little tempted to get the Pro for two reasons only: Higher resale value, and a faster charger.  But if the resale difference is the same as the original purchase price difference, the resale point is moot.  Yes I might miss the faster charger, but the same money spent on more batteries accomplishes the same result.

What follows is footage shot with a P3 Advanced.  [Edit: Make sure you click the gear icon in the lower right corner and switch to 1080P to get the full quality.  I am not the videographer/pilot.  I just found this on YouTube.]

2015-5-6
Use props
yale
lvl.1

United States

I completely agree.  I actually do do photography and videography as a side to web design, but even then, barely anyone cares about 4k yet unless you are doing a pro video which 99% of the people on this forum don't actually do.  The 1080p is gorgeous and doesn't fill the card nearly as fast.  Also by the time 4k is necessary, I'm going to want the newest and best drone anyway and this one will be sold.
2015-5-6
Use props
ragz
lvl.1

Norway

Great video Paul!!

2015-5-7
Use props
tjrchampion
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I'm a web developer by profession and couldn't fully decide on what option to get. I love photography/videography but im not even an amateur when it comes to either of those.... being my first phantom ever I decided to go big and go pro. Not sure it was necessary but im happy I did as I'm pretty sure I wont be getting another for a long time coming so i plan to use thing thing carefully and get the most out of it.
2015-5-7
Use props
Adamation
lvl.2

United States

My reason for going Pro is simply because I'm buying mine in the US and i can get the Pro for the price of an Adv in the UK - Adam
2015-5-7
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70203 ft
Germany

The Advanced should be the way to go for most ppl. Full HD is currently the number one format and your smartphone, notebook, TV etc.. will support it. Most computers cant even play 4k footage cause of not strong enough hardware. So it makes only sense in video editing but even than you need a strong computer and a video editing software able to handle 4k. So at the moment you just can convert your 4k material to 1080p which takes some time for slightly better quality, only visible at 200x zoom. I bet 90% of the pro buyers wont use 4k because of those reasons and 90% of the buyers will buy a phantom4 next year anyway. Im surprised that so many ppl ordered the pro model as well, they went in the marketing trap
2015-5-7
Use props
PaulOTron
lvl.2

United States

To be clear, it's not my video.  Just an example I found that was shot with the Advanced model.  I'll won't be getting my P3 until tomorrow.
2015-5-7
Use props
buzzcbr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 316545 ft
United Kingdom

Does the ISO change automatically when shooting stills or do you have to set it manually.

I guess the question i'm asking is is the camera fully auto or do you have to frig about with it?
2015-5-7
Use props
BrewserB
lvl.1

United States

Paul, I'm the bozo that posted the question why anyone would by the Advanced and not the Pro.

The reason I said that is because I guess I've always been on the bleeding edge of tech and now that's turned into drones. I bought my first drone a few years ago, DJI original Phantom. Loved it and very easy to use but I could only fly for about 7 min at a time due to the battery. I then had to go out and buy a $600 Zenmuse Gimbal.

Then DJI introduced the Phantom 2 Vision. I ordered immediately. I got it and loved it but I seemed to lose video connection when flying over 300FT and had to watch video on my tiny iPhone 5 screen. The Vision didn't have a gimbal so I found a company out of the Netherlands that builds special gimbals for the bird. I waited almost 2 months to get it and cost me another $600. Then DJI released the V2+ with the gimbal. I was kind of pissed because I spent so much money already. I also had to wire up a larger antenna so I wouldn't lose video connection with such short range. The drone started to look like frankendrone...LOL

Now DJI offers the V3P with everything i've always wanted built in. The only difference is really 1080P and 4K video. I've seen 4K video on Youtube and thought it looked amazing so to me this was a no brainer to get the Pro because I'm sure in a few months I would be kicking myself for not getting the 4K camera. To me this is somewhat near future proof. I can also use a larger tablet screen and go greater distances without losing video connection.

I guess after you read my novel and see how much I've spent over the last couple years you can see that an extra $250 is well worth it for me.{:3_48:}
2015-5-7
Use props
bestfhorn1
lvl.1
Flight distance : 823583 ft
United States

Absolutely agreed with everything the OP said here.  The main reason I went with the Pro was the ability to crop and frame a 4k video into 1080p.
2015-5-7
Use props
robert
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1119 ft
United States

Price, + Did not want to purchase a 4K TV, or a faster computer, Very happy with the 1080P video from it.
2015-5-7
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70203 ft
Germany

BrewserB Posted at 2015-5-8 01:56
Paul, I'm the bozo that posted the question why anyone would by the Advanced and not the Pro.

A drone dont need to be futureproof because it will be replaced in a year anyway i guess. You said you love 4K on youtube so i assume you have a laptop with 4K screen or a computer with 4K screen. This is still rare and to stream a 4K video also needs a super fast internet connection. You also need a strong PC to play 4K files and for video editing. 4K is good for zooming in and brings a small amount of quality when rendered to 1080P but i just cant believe every P3 pro owner will do all this, the majority will just record in 4K and realize that they cant watch it properly and switch to Full HD. Its strange that the advanced models are to rare, it seems like 80% are Pro models
2015-5-7
Use props
coherent
lvl.2
Flight distance : 7411 ft
United States

I'm sorry, but don't understand the entire purpose of this thread (although it is entertaining reading at 2am if nothing is on TV), but who cares why someone (I/they don't even know) does or doesn't buy something?
It's only slightly more interesting than the old "why I DID buy something" discussions. To me it's like sharing that you bought corn for dinner instead of beans, because beans give you gas. Your wife may care that beans give you gas... or you mother certainly would consider it an appropriate topic of discussion, but the rest of us... really? Did someone spend too much time at a psychiatrist who told them it's good to share your innermost feelings with strangers? I know, I know, I'm being insensitive... and my post is more annoying than the original topic of discussion, but who cares, because most will pass this topic by when they read the title... If you want to buy the Advanced model buy it! If you'd rather have the Pro... by all means buy one. Hey, buy two or three. Please do pass on your purchase experience and feelings with the forum if you find them for $25 each somewhere. Now that I'd consider an terrific topic to share!  
2015-5-7
Use props
HunterBrooks
lvl.4

United States

Hey coherent, Paul's thread was actually a reply to BrewerB's question as to why anyone would want a PH3 Adv over a Pro since the price delta is only like $300, yet you get so much more.  But Paul started a new thread instead of having it embedded in the original one.  That's why it looks like Paul is just offering up his reason for buying the Adv.  But it's really a reply to a larger thread.

But, it's actually not a bad topic to get on the table - I'm sure there are more than just a few folks trying to make the same decision.  I'm going through the same process right now between which iPad to get.  So hearing the different opinions helps.
2015-5-7
Use props
PaulOTron
lvl.2

United States

coherent Posted at 2015-5-8 05:30
I'm sorry, but don't understand the entire purpose of this thread (although it is entertaining readi ...

LOL.  Turns out it was worth the time for everyone who chose to reply.  Apparently that includes you.

You read the title, and you clicked anyway.  Why would you cause yourself the distress of doing so?  You put a fair amount of time into describing how this thread isn't worth your time.  That smells like irony.

I do apologize.  If I've ruined your day, I can only hope tomorrow will be better for you.  Maybe you can enjoy some warm tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich, and that will bring a small amount of joy to your life.

</End sarcasm>

Kidding aside, I honestly think it's pretty likely someone out there will end up $250 richer for having read this thread.  I assume you disagree, and that's cool with me.
2015-5-7
Use props
flydronefly
lvl.3

United States

Having 4K isn't just for the initial output resolution but also think about how the resolution holds when you crop the video -
2015-5-7
Use props
neilkarunatilak
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

flydronefly Posted at 2015-5-8 06:04
Having 4K isn't just for the initial output resolution but also think about how the resolution holds ...

Agreed. I have a GH4. I shoot in 4K all the time. Although I rarely output 4K final products, the P3 Pro I purchased, shooting 4K footage from that along with 4K footage from my GH4 gives me lots of options in post for either cropping the image in or rotating the image slightly with the 4K footage for a 1080p product, as well as post stabilizing footage and not losing any quality.
2015-5-7
Use props
PaulOTron
lvl.2

United States

flydronefly Posted at 2015-5-8 06:04
Having 4K isn't just for the initial output resolution but also think about how the resolution holds ...

That's certainly valid... If you're motivated to crop video.  Personally, I'm confident I never will and I suspect most hobbyist pilots don't.

I'm all about the flying, and seeing what can be seen from up there.  I'm not so much about making videos and pictures.  I upgraded from the P2V+ for lightbridge.
2015-5-7
Use props
HunterBrooks
lvl.4

United States

Yeah, it occured to me a few months ago - you're either a pilot who wants to take some pictures, or you're a photographer who wants a different perspective.  Which one you are will pretty much decide which features are important to you, and thus, which version you're leaning towards.
2015-5-7
Use props
flydronefly
lvl.3

United States

PaulOTron Posted at 2015-5-8 06:23
That's certainly valid... If you're motivated to crop video.  Personally, I'm confident I never wi ...

And not having the fisheye in either will be nice too
2015-5-7
Use props
PaulOTron
lvl.2

United States

HunterBrooks Posted at 2015-5-8 06:36
Yeah, it occured to me a few months ago - you're either a pilot who wants to take some pictures, or  ...

Well said.
2015-5-7
Use props
BrewserB
lvl.1

United States

Daninho Posted at 2015-5-8 03:44
A drone dont need to be futureproof because it will be replaced in a year anyway i guess. You said ...

I've got a 27" iMac with quad core i7.
2015-5-7
Use props
brightlife84
lvl.1

United States

BrewserB Posted at 2015-5-8 01:56

Fair enough. I was very tempted to get p3p also, but I am waiting for my p3a extra battery now. Maybe my next drone will have 4k ability. Too early to talk about the next drone, I guess. Or, is it? DJI evolves so fast!
2015-5-7
Use props
coherent
lvl.2
United States

LOL.  Turns out it was worth the time for everyone who chose to reply.  Apparently that includes you.

I had fun with my post... Hopefully you didn't take it too seriously.  I was hoping to lean so far toward obnoxious satire, that I wouldn't offend anyone. Yes I read it (the whole thread) with interest and a smile as I considered an addition that I really had no opinion about to constructively comment on one way or another. I know... like my mother always told me "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything".

I try to keep my opinions to myself... honestly I do. But sometimes the devil on my shoulder overrides common sense. No need to apologize, you didn't offend me, nor ruin my day (in fact it just made me think of a few humorous rhetorical replies that  made me smile, but stop  and remember my mother's sage advice). I was in heavy decision making mode prior to deciding which model to buy myself. Finally I decided getting either of them was very foolish and an expensive toy I really didn't need. Sadly, this thread  wasn't here at the time and I am getting older and have children I'd rather not leave money to just so they could waste it and buy an Inspire. So, I just decided if I'm gonna spend $1000 on a new toy, why not make it $2000. I looked, but couldn't find one for $2000 so went with the $1259 model. With luck I'll  find a case, batteries and other extras to get it up there above what I really should spend.

P.S I can't stand tomato soup, but that's a whole other forum and thread. Really.. it's out there.. do a search for tomato soup forums : )
2015-5-7
Use props
desertstormarti
lvl.2
Flight distance : 710587 ft
United States

I agree.  I have a GoPro that can shoot in 4K and I never use it.  1080 seems to be the most my internet connection and equipment can handle.  Not too mention the extra money saved is going to extra batteries (more flight time ;)
2015-5-7
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

HunterBrooks Posted at 2015-5-8 05:50
Hey coherent, Paul's thread was actually a reply to BrewerB's question as to why anyone would want a ...

Well put.

It is a very valid discussion - that might also help prospective Phantom 3 owners.
2015-5-7
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

PaulOTron Posted at 2015-5-8 06:23
That's certainly valid... If you're motivated to crop video.  Personally, I'm confident I never wi ...

I was about to reply to you that if it was about flying, you should consider other drones than the Phantom 3, which very much is a flying camera, more than a aircraft.

But I thought about it, and you have a very good point. It is very much about the FPV from the flying, and the P3 is great for that.

But I'm not sure you are right about the majority of people getting P3s will not use it to make and edit videos (and shoot photos to show off). I could be wrong. I certainly got it to make videos and photos, edit to music and use for various projects, commercial included.
2015-5-7
Use props
coherent
lvl.2
United States

FantomDK Posted at 2015-5-8 07:44
Well put.

It is a very valid discussion - that might also help prospective Phantom 3 owners.

hmmm,   Ok I agree.  Really. Hey, I research the web and forums for opinions before I buy anything. Honestly. Always.  Or I ask my wife  (who has already searched the web for reviews and opinions and her opinion is very important and a big part of a happy marriage of course)  Roomba Vacuums, Label Makers, Coffee Makers (go with a good Keurig if you want fast) and even Cars (although my auto budget is much less researched than my vacuum budget as of late beacuse i spend money on quadcopters).  Even tomato soup. Just ask PaulOTron... he'll vouch for me.
2015-5-7
Use props
shayd93
lvl.3
Flight distance : 247306 ft
  • >>>
United States

I used the 1080P at 60FPS and it does look pretty I'm not saying it does not, I did not use 4K too much because 16GB MicroSD that came with P3 would be filled quickly and I don't own any 4K displays, my laptop alone can't play that resolution  without stuttering but in few years everything will be 4K and the extra pixels do matter when you film high up in the air since everything is small then. Also Professional version charges your battery from 0 to 100% in one hour
2015-5-7
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

shayd93@gmail.c Posted at 2015-5-8 08:09
I used the 1080P at 60FPS and it does look pretty I'm not saying it does not, I did not use 4K too m ...

Size of microSD card included is not a very strong argument. There is plenty for a couple of batteries full of footage - and you should empty it after each flight anyway (in my opinion). Besides, microSD-cards are very cheap nowadays.

The fact that it takes a new computer to edit and a fairly strong computer even to play 4K videos is an excellent argument for getting the Advanced. If you would have to get a new computer as well, it would suddenly become a quite large extra-cost to go from the Advanced to the Professional.

@coherent
That was a bit incoherent - but hey, that might just be me   Nice story bro
2015-5-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules