Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Dji mavic air - RC magnetic holder good/bad idea?
4044 39 2018-3-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
LookAt_Wictim
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2621982 ft
Slovakia

Hi,

• what do you think? small and easy to attach.
  • some interference problem or something?
  • it´s ok to keep it in the bag with dji mavic air?

Only asking before i will do it. I dont want to damage my drone or rc.

Thanks for answers.
29547629_10211234124038988_180816517_n.jpg
2018-3-27
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Seriously, the people who designed this do not know anything about magnetic interference in RC units by the look of it. One of the worst accessories I have seen so far - you could very well lose your drone with a huge magnet sat on top of your remote during flight
2018-3-27
Use props
M2Wair
Captain
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Agreed a very bad idea, throw it in the bin.
2018-3-27
Use props
LookAt_Wictim
Second Officer
Slovakia

A CW Posted at 2018-3-27 08:44
Seriously, the people who designed this do not know anything about magnetic interference in RC units by the look of it. One of the worst accessories I have seen so far - you could very well lose your drone with a huge magnet sat on top of your remote during flight

no i combined 2 accesories in one. First one is foldable phone mount for dji mavic and second magnetic holder from my car (8 neodymium magnet in circle) small magnets aiming only to the phone. I think there are no interference. But thanks for your comment
2018-3-27
Use props
LookAt_Wictim
Second Officer
Slovakia

M2Wair Posted at 2018-3-27 09:34
Agreed a very bad idea, throw it in the bin.

i want someone who can explain me why it is bad idea
2018-3-27
Use props
LoSBoL
First Officer
Flight distance : 666483 ft
Netherlands

I wouldn't try either, does the compass of your Phone even work when attached to that magnet?
2018-3-27
Use props
LookAt_Wictim
Second Officer
Slovakia

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-3-27 09:39
I wouldn't try either, does the compass of your Phone even work when attached to that magnet?

it´s special accesory for mobile devices.... Magnetic car holder.... Sold by lot of stores and it´s not affecting any smartphone.
2018-3-27
Use props
LoSBoL
First Officer
Netherlands

LookAt_Wictim Posted at 2018-3-27 09:41
it´s special accesory for mobile devices.... Magnetic car holder.... Sold by lot of stores and it´s not affecting any smartphone.

I know the brand, they make very nice Phone accesoires. But it still might throw off the compass without even knowing.
2018-3-27
Use props
LookAt_Wictim
Second Officer
Slovakia

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-3-27 09:43
I know the brand, they make very nice Phone accesoires.

“The vast majority of magnets that you come across day to day, even many of the super-strong ones on the market, will have no adverse effect on your smartphone,” For example, the new Apple Watch uses a magnetic inductive wireless charging system.”

Yes they are. I dont think there are some intereference to smartphone because it is designed to hold your phone inside the car for navigation.
2018-3-27
Use props
LoSBoL
First Officer
Netherlands

LookAt_Wictim Posted at 2018-3-27 09:44
“The vast majority of magnets that you come across day to day, even many of the super-strong ones on the market, will have no adverse effect on your smartphone,” For example, the new Apple Watch uses a magnetic inductive wireless charging system.”

Yes they are. I dont think there are some intereference to smartphone because it is designed to hold your phone inside the car for navigation.

You may be right, phone navigation gets its heading from GPS though when on the move. Funny thing is, the Apple Watch is known for interfering with DJI drones.

I think if your seeking validation in using this, you might be in the wrong place. If you want to use it, you should make the descision for yourself. There are plenty of accesoires to fit phones and tablets to the remote that for 100% won't interfere.

Even if you try it and have good results with it, I would be cautious in sharing that experience and stay away from recommending it. Results may vary, and personally, I wouldn't want to be responsible for a recomendation that could be troublesome for others, worst case scenario could be loss of craft.

2018-3-27
Use props
LookAt_Wictim
Second Officer
Slovakia

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-3-27 10:00
You may be right, phone navigation gets its heading from GPS though when on the move. Funny thing is, the Apple Watch is known for interfering with DJI drones.

I think if your seeking validation in using this, you might be in the wrong place. If you want to use it, you should make the descision for yourself. There are plenty of accesoires to fit phones and tablets to the remote that for 100% won't interfere.

Yes i understand. Only reason why im doing this sollution is because i dont have space in my carry case for big phone holder and i needed something small to pick up with me.

I wanted to know some feedback or some advice from Dji support.
2018-3-27
Use props
John TC
lvl.1
Flight distance : 358 ft
United States

Just the interference of an smartwatch is enough to screw the compass.... i will not even try to use that accessory.....
2018-3-27
Use props
LoSBoL
First Officer
Netherlands

LookAt_Wictim Posted at 2018-3-27 10:09
Yes i understand. Only reason why im doing this sollution is because i dont have space in my carry case for big phone holder and i needed something small to pick up with me.

I think you can envision DJI's response ;)

Anyway, the Mavic Air has a very delicate compass, having a magnet near it probably won't do any good.
If the compass of the Air goes haywire, in flight, the craft will go into ATTI mode because its heading doesn't correspond with the GPS coordinates. How well can you fly with a compass which doesn't have its heading right?
The Apple Watch is known to throw off the compass, so... I think you are taking an awfully big risk.
2018-3-27
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

LookAt_Wictim Posted at 2018-3-27 10:09
Yes i understand. Only reason why im doing this sollution is because i dont have space in my carry case for big phone holder and i needed something small to pick up with me.

DJI will be the first to tell you that they do not recommend you even use third party landing gear extensions and ND filters on their drones - I can assure you they will not advise you to use a product that they have not manufactured or at least tested and sell - especially a great magnet sitting on top of the RC LOL

It is clear that everyone who has replied so far (all very credible forum members) have advised against you using it for very obvious reasons to anyone who knows anything about this hobby. If you wish to keep deflecting everyones advice in the hope that somebody supports this on here then you may be waiting quite some time.

So the best thing to do is use it yourself but if you lose signal and the drone decides to fly south in RTH (never to be seen again) then you know what caused it.

It's a bad idea - it's a VERY bad idea!
2018-3-27
Use props
ImTravis
lvl.4
Flight distance : 109734 ft
United States

I use PolarPro Mavic Air Phone Mount and it works great and very compact.
2018-3-27
Use props
V_kingo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 310157 ft
Chile

Not recommended. Magnets can affect your RC stick inputs.

2018-3-27
Use props
LookAt_Wictim
Second Officer
Slovakia

A CW Posted at 2018-3-27 10:47
DJI will be the first to tell you that they do not recommend you even use third party landing gear extensions and ND filters on their drones - I can assure you they will not advise you to use a product that they have not manufactured or at least tested and sell - especially a great magnet sitting on top of the RC LOL

It is clear that everyone who has replied so far (all very credible forum members) have advised against you using it for very obvious reasons to anyone who knows anything about this hobby. If you wish to keep deflecting everyones advice in the hope that somebody supports this on here then you may be waiting quite some time.

ok thank you very much i will use classic phone mount
2018-3-27
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

LookAt_Wictim Posted at 2018-3-27 12:28
ok thank you very much  i will use classic phone mount

It's your drone my friend and ultimately your decision but that will definitely be a safer solution to ensure it remains your drone. Fly safe.
2018-3-27
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

You need to take a close look at this video to see problems you may be looking at.

2018-3-27
Use props
miketmtpro
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1883940 ft
United States

One guy I talked to about flying around anything magnetic said he was recording a band that was playing. Making a demo for them. He landed, put the drone on a speaker with the RC temporarily. Took to the air and the controls were all messed up. It flew at weird angles, didn't hover well. Because of experience he was able to fly it though the stick calibration was very much off. He got it to just around the stage and parking lot and landed. Said he took it to a repair shop. They degaussed the metal and then it worked right again.
2018-3-27
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Hi there, it is not recommended to use the third-party accessories. As you know, those third-party accessories are not tested by our engineers, we are unable to ensure the compatibility and the performance, which might cause a potential threat to the flight safety. Thank you so much for your support!
2018-3-27
Use props
LookAt_Wictim
Second Officer
Slovakia

Little test with magnetic holder mounted on. Here are results all is ok and compass in device is good. What do you think? (Im not saying that i will use it only doing it for "science" now)

2018-3-28
Use props
M2Wair
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

LookAt_Wictim Posted at 2018-3-28 00:26
Little test with magnetic holder mounted on. Here are results all is ok and compass in device is good. What do you think? (Im not saying that i will use it only doing it for "science" now)

[view_image]

If you value your drone, keep it as a test and don't use for flight. That said it is up to you lol
2018-3-28
Use props
AirSnaps
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5423 ft
United Kingdom

Am I missing something, on my Mavic Air the phone slots in to the controller, no need for any additional devices to attach it.

Seriously though, I wouldn't fancy using the device, it could all be fine but why take the chance. Plus, why would you want to carry that around, the point of the Air is that it's small and portable, that all changes if you start adding clamps and magnetic attachments and stuff.
2018-3-28
Use props
LookAt_Wictim
Second Officer
Slovakia

AirSnaps Posted at 2018-3-28 00:42
Am I missing something, on my Mavic Air the phone slots in to the controller, no need for any additional devices to attach it.

Seriously though, I wouldn't fancy using the device, it could all be fine but why take the chance. Plus, why would you want to carry that around, the point of the Air is that it's small and portable, that all changes if you start adding clamps and magnetic attachments and stuff.

It´s because sometimes im taking ipad mini with me
2018-3-28
Use props
AirSnaps
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5423 ft
United Kingdom

oh ok, could you not just use one of these https://amzn.to/2urVdjd
2018-3-28
Use props
LookAt_Wictim
Second Officer
Slovakia

AirSnaps Posted at 2018-3-28 00:54
oh ok, could you not just use one of these https://amzn.to/2urVdjd

if you look on my picture u will see i have this holder but the phone mount is too big for my case i dont have space for it and that is the reason why im finding sollution in magnetic holder (because i have it home and it´s small)
2018-3-28
Use props
M2Wair
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

LookAt_Wictim Posted at 2018-3-28 00:56
if you look on my picture u will see i have this holder but the phone mount is too big for my case i dont have space for it and that is the reason why im finding sollution in magnetic holder (because i have it home and it´s small)

I get where you are coming from regarding portability, but the mavmount is so easy to disassemble and fits into your pocket/,backpack along with an ipad mini 4 with no hassle at all.  (I have the same mount) If you have to because of lack of room, wear the mount with the supplied strap as a necklace with the remote removed. No hassle, right.

Seriously, anything is safer than using a device that might be be the cause for a fly away or crash.
2018-3-28
Use props
LookAt_Wictim
Second Officer
Slovakia

M2Wair Posted at 2018-3-28 02:03
I get where you are coming from regarding portability, but the mavmount is so easy to disassemble and fits into your pocket/,backpack along with an ipad mini 4 with no hassle at all.  (I have the same mount) If you have to because of lack of room, wear the mount with the supplied strap as a necklace with the remote removed. No hassle, right.

Seriously, anything is safer than using a device that might be be the cause for a fly away or crash.

yes true thank you all for your help.
2018-3-28
Use props
M2Wair
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

LookAt_Wictim Posted at 2018-3-28 02:06
yes true  thank you all for your help.

No problems, happy to offer my thoughts on the subject.
2018-3-28
Use props
Thoarax
lvl.4
Flight distance : 488484 ft
United States

Like the idea of a smaller mount bracket for the phone.  I am going to look around for a cheap ball mount phone gripper and use it in the same manner as you did with the magnet one.
2018-3-28
Use props
Bill B
First Officer
Flight distance : 319245 ft
United States

I think it is a great idea to use it, while flying from inside your lead lined bunker. No problems I can see.
2018-3-28
Use props
Flycaster
Captain
United States

Is it really worth the risk?
2018-3-28
Use props
V_kingo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 310157 ft
Chile

2018-3-28
Use props
LoSBoL
First Officer
Netherlands

LookAt_Wictim Posted at 2018-3-28 00:46
It´s because sometimes im taking ipad mini with me

Do you know the IPad Mini fits the remotes brackets?
2018-3-28
Use props
LookAt_Wictim
Second Officer
Slovakia

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-3-28 07:45
Do you know the IPad Mini fits the remotes brackets?

i know but after few minutes i have broken neck because i need to look straight down...
2018-3-28
Use props
LoSBoL
First Officer
Netherlands

LookAt_Wictim Posted at 2018-3-28 22:38
i know but after few minutes i have broken neck because i need to look straight down...

2018-3-28
Use props
mumtazkhan9
lvl.1

United States

I think its a good idea but the issue we found is that a close-by magnetic phone holder will influence the inner attractive sensors inside the telephone. The compass won't read accurately," clarified Michael Paul, an architect at K&J, "What's more regrettable, on the off chance that you stick a solid magnet to the telephone, you could somewhat polarize some steel segments inside, influencing them to act like frail magnets. This can make it hard to legitimately adjust the compass.
2018-8-7
Use props
InvisibleName 7
Captain
Flight distance : 795653 ft
United States

and if you did do this, where would you place the magnetic holder when you pack up your drone etc? Next to the MA?? As said before, an Apple Watch magnetic strap plays havoc with the compass, heaven knows what this would do if it spent anytime near the MA
2018-8-7
Use props
小仙女的星巴克
Captain
Flight distance : 4657841 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just fly it and let's us know
2018-8-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now