Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Phantom 1 + hero4 low battery on takeoff
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
lMrNeutronl
New

Netherlands

here's my problem in a nutshell:

Recently, I switched from a gopro hero 3 to a gopro hero 4 silver on my Phantom 1.

At first hand it seems to work just fine, but as soon as I take off, a red light starts flashing, and my climb rate gets reduced to somewhere near 10 cm/s.

The funny part is, when I unplug the gopro and reboot my phantom, it climbs just as it should. (with the same battery still in)

-goes into "low battery mode" with hero 4 silver mounted on
-works just fine with hero3
-the gopro doesn't seem to drain its batteries
-same issue with every LiPo I try
-I still get a pretty long flight time in "low battery mode"

Is my gopro drawing too much current from the circuit?

Thanks in advance!
2018-3-27
Use props
Gil
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

While my P2 is a different bird (P2 w/ HD-3D gimbal)  I always fly with a charged battery in the GoPro so it doesn't draw from the Phantom battery.

So, my guess is your gimbal doesn't support the hero 4.  (Just taking a shot in the dark here since you didn't give a lot of details about your gimbal or particular setup).  Does the flashing light correspond to anything like the diagram below:

Also, you may want to get an inexpensive cell checker.  You can hook it up while the bird is on to see exactly how much of a voltage drop you're getting.
Phantom1 - LED description.jpg
RC Cellchecker.jpg
2018-3-27
Use props
lMrNeutronl
New

Netherlands

I use a HD-2D with the replacement board instead of the separate module. I even tried flying without gopro battery hoping to reduce current. It's definitely the Low voltage alert by the way.
2018-3-27
Use props
lMrNeutronl
New

Netherlands

Gil Posted at 2018-3-27 10:35
While my P2 is a different bird (P2 w/ HD-3D gimbal)  I always fly with a charged battery in the GoPro so it doesn't draw from the Phantom battery.

So, my guess is your gimbal doesn't support the hero 4.  (Just taking a shot in the dark here since you didn't give a lot of details about your gimbal or particular setup).  Does the flashing light correspond to anything like the diagram below:

thanks for the advice, although I don't think I am getting a battery voltage drop, is it possible that the bec just isn't up to the task? (the one that converts 11,1v to 5v)
2018-3-27
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi there, may I know what's the discharge current of the battery?
2018-3-27
Use props
lMrNeutronl
New

Netherlands

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-3-27 22:49
Hi there, may I know what's the discharge current of the battery?

hi,

as in the battery specs?

I use five of these:
Phantom 1 Battery - DJISP12

I get the same result with all five of them
2018-3-28
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

lMrNeutronl Posted at 2018-3-28 05:26
hi,

as in the battery specs?

Thanks for the clarification. Could you upload some pictures or videos of the connection for better assistance? I'd like to forward to our engineers for further review.
2018-3-29
Use props
Gil
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

lMrNeutronl Posted at 2018-3-27 10:57
thanks for the advice, although I don't think I am getting a battery voltage drop, is it possible that the bec just isn't up to the task? (the one that converts 11,1v to 5v)

Well, sure.  

The most obvious culprit is the Hero 4.  The gimbal simply wasn't designed to work with that particular model.  Of course, without knowing the tech specs differences between the Hero 3 & 4  I couldn't speculate exactly why.  

And unfortunately, there is not a lot of support for the older models of Phantom... Heck, I just spent 10 minutes without success trying to find the link for the wiki DJI used to have or the web page for the HD-2D gimbal.
2018-3-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules