Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Inspire 2 accuracy
496 6 2018-3-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JerryLaurence
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1588 ft
United Kingdom

Does anyone else think that their Inspire 2 may have become less accurate and stable over time? Some people have suggested it’s due to firmware updates. Is there a DJI view on this?
2018-3-28
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft

Hi Jerry, the firmware is usually released to fix or optimize some issues or add some new functions, we can't say all the problem is caused by the firmware upgrade.
You must be very familiar with Inspire series products, it may be silly questions but I still would like to verify if there is any interference during flight? Does the issue happen to every place? How about calibrating compass and IMU? Is GPS signal strong enough?
If the drone doesn't perform well, may I have a short video for further analysis? Thanks for your input in advance.
2018-3-29
Use props
JerryLaurence
Second Officer

I’m really talking about the drifting which becomes more noticeable when close to objects. It’s not bad enough to be a fault, but perhaps exposes the limits of the I2’s capabilities. Re IMU calibration, I always do this indoors on a level table. Any suggestions on how to get the best IMU calibration?
2018-3-29
Use props
Blackwood
Second Officer

JerryLaurence Posted at 2018-3-29 06:10
I’m really talking about the drifting which becomes more noticeable when close to objects. It’s not bad enough to be a fault, but perhaps exposes the limits of the I2’s capabilities. Re IMU calibration, I always do this indoors on a level table. Any suggestions on how to get the best IMU calibration?

Check the angle of your prop arms.  Looking at the nose of the bird,  look to see if the tip of one blade is higher or lower than the other.  They should be the same.  There is an allen screw on the arm just behind the T-fitting that is used to adjust the angle.  Takes about 30 seconds to fix. My Inspire 2 had started drifting real bad, but after re-adjusting the blade angle, it's solid again.  Mark had posted a diagram for the Inspire 1 in this forum showing the proper angle.  I haven't seen a diagram for the Inspire 2, so I based the angle roughly off of that diagram.
2018-3-29
Use props
Blackwood
Second Officer

Found Mark's post.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... &fromuid=591376
2018-3-29
Use props
JerryLaurence
Second Officer

That’s great, thanks. I will look closely at these angles when I get the chance.
2018-3-29
Use props
RobAlbania
Second Officer
Albania

The exact angle is not critical, so long as its the same on both sides so the tips are at exactly the same height.  About 10 degrees is fine.  But if the rotor tips do not line up exactly, then there will always be a sideways force pulling the drone to the side with the highest offset angle, and this will lead to position instability.  In fact, what happens when the rotor arms are misaligned is that the drone drifts to one side when climbing and it also drifts sideways when travelling straight forward or backwards.  And in a "hover", instead of sitting still on the spot, it will drift until the VPS and / or GPS detects the position error, then the drone will put in a correction.  This causes it to "dance" maybe moving rapidly by up to 10 cm from side to side (not fore / aft).

If it gives you any reassurance, I can tell you that my I2 rotor blades and rotor tips are exactly aligned and there is no free play movement in any of the rotor blades.  The drone sits in a hover with no visible movement or wobbling at all.   It climbs straight up to 500 meters (1600 feet) and then descends in an exact straight line, returning to the exact same spot on the ground it took off from, without me touching the right hand stick at all.  It will also do a fast pirouetting climb out and descent, returning to the exact same spot on the ground it took off from.

After removing free play in the rotor blades and aligning the rotor tips, the I2 drone flies amazingly well.  
I'm surprised that DJI do not provide any documentation on the procedures, leaving users to learn about this without DJI's help.
2018-3-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules