Beginner Drone
49496 23 2018-3-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Serra Nova
lvl.1

Greenland

Is the Maveric Pro Drone a good beginners drone?

I read some reviews which stated so but when reading the forum posts with all that techniqal stuff, error reports and other stuff I'm beginning to loose confidence in this.

Do I need to be a techhead to fly this drone or can a normal person do it as well?

Thanks
2018-3-28
Use props
Phantom Help
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

While DJI drones are very easy to fly, they are very technical and feature-rich. Here are some things you can do to help avoid common user errors:

- Thoroughly read and understand the Mavic manual before attempting to fly
- Ensure the DJI GO settings are configured properly before each flight
- Inspect your Mavic for damage before each flight (especially critical parts like the props)
- Learn by flying in a wide open area that's free of all obstacles (don't fly inside your house)
- Keep your Mavic within your sight when flying and don't fly in strong winds

These are certainly things any normal person can do.
2018-3-28
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>

It's a great drone. Just be sure to read and reread the manual. Have fun and fly safe.
2018-3-28
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

Have you ever flown any type of drone before?
2018-3-28
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I  would not consider it a 'beginner' drone, even though it is very easy to fly.
But that is more because it has a lot of options and I'm not sure what you mean by 'beginner'.
If you don't need all the fancy options like waypoints, home lock, buttons on the remote controller etc. you might be better off with Mavic Air, or even Spark.

They all fly about the same btw, but there are a lot of options on the Mavic Pro, that a 'beginner' would not need.

2018-3-28
Use props
Serra Nova
lvl.1

Greenland

Phantom Help Posted at 2018-3-28 04:56
While DJI drones are very easy to fly, they are very technical and feature-rich. Here are some things you can do to help avoid common user errors:

Thanks a lot for the advice I also just found a video on Yotube explaning 10-20 beginners errors and how to correct them.
2018-3-28
Use props
Serra Nova
lvl.1

Greenland

QuadKid Posted at 2018-3-28 05:11
Have you ever flown any type of drone before?

No never. This is my first one
2018-3-28
Use props
Serra Nova
lvl.1

Greenland

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-3-28 05:31
I  would not consider it a 'beginner' drone, even though it is very easy to fly.
But that is more because it has a lot of options and I'm not sure what you mean by 'beginner'.
If you don't need all the fancy options like waypoints, home lock, buttons on the remote controller etc. you might be better off with Mavic Air, or even Spark.

Thanks for the breakdown. I viewed and read about the Spark but it seems underwelming compared to Air and Pro and Air seems not as good as Pro.

I want the best video quality out of those 3 drones. I'm filming in Greenland where I live
2018-3-28
Use props
CuaC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 369626 ft
Germany

Yes, it is. Simply don't believe you're Casey Neistat (he's not a good drone pilot, he just can crash it and buy a new one straight away...)  Curb your enthusiasm, go step by step and you'll be fine. DJI Care is also a good option to have some additional peace of mind with your first bird.
2018-3-28
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Serra Nova Posted at 2018-3-28 05:51
Thanks for the breakdown. I viewed and read about the Spark but it seems underwelming compared to Air and Pro and Air seems not as good as Pro.

I want the best video quality out of those 3 drones. I'm filming in Greenland where I live

Do you have experience in photography / videography?
You can get very good footage out of Spark and very bad footage out of the Mavic Pro (and vice versa)
Good video is not created by the camera, but by the operator (pilot).
2018-3-28
Use props
Serra Nova
lvl.1

Greenland

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-3-28 06:05
Do you have experience in photography / videography?
You can get very good footage out of Spark and very bad footage out of the Mavic Pro (and vice versa)
Good video is not created by the camera, but by the operator (pilot).

Oh. No only by using my phone. I'm a pretty good phone photographer with my note 8

Last year I climbed a huge mountain here in Greenland and it took me 10,5 hours straight. I want to climb it this year again and some other higher mountains. I need the drone to follow behind me and film me and also do a boomerang shot when I'm reaching the top.
2018-3-28
Use props
Serra Nova
lvl.1

Greenland

CuaC Posted at 2018-3-28 05:58
Yes, it is. Simply don't believe you're Casey Neistat (he's not a good drone pilot, he just can crash it and buy a new one straight away...)  Curb your enthusiasm, go step by step and you'll be fine. DJI Care is also a good option to have some additional peace of mind with your first bird.

Thanks I will consider that
2018-3-28
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13438648 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

Has mentioned above very good advice given. The Pro is an excellent drone RTFM first and start in beginners mode, also ensure your have a pre-flight checklist in place and do not fly this drone indoors get used to it in open fields with no trees.
2018-3-28
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The MP is a great drone but not one I would recommend to someone who has never flown a drone before and does not know anything about photography. There is a 59 page manual you can download from the DJI store - I suggest you read every page of that and watch all of the tutorials and if you are finding that it is going over your head then perhaps take a step back and look at cheaper options to start out with. That said, I was in your boat a couple of years ago and bought the Phantom 3 Professional as my first drone and by having £1000 of my money in the air I took more care not to crash it - I've never crashed/lost any of my DJI drones to date though I will one day - everyone does!  
2018-3-28
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Serra Nova Posted at 2018-3-28 06:08
Oh. No only by using my phone. I'm a pretty good phone photographer with my note 8

Last year I climbed a huge mountain here in Greenland and it took me 10,5 hours straight. I want to climb it this year again and some other higher mountains. I need the drone to follow behind me and film me and also do a boomerang shot when I'm reaching the top.

Not to offend you, but int that case the 'pro' will not give you any better footage than the Spark.
Video quality is more about exposure, framing the shot, making smooth motion, telling a story than just 4K resolution and other hard numbers.

Long story short: if you want to invest time (and money) in the hobby and learn about making video's, I think the Air is probably perfect for you.
Otherwise, Spark will get you there also. Great looking footage for 50% of the price.

2018-3-28
Use props
slimharry
lvl.4
Flight distance : 720446 ft
Canada

A CW Posted at 2018-3-28 06:13
The MP is a great drone but not one I would recommend to someone who has never flown a drone before and does not know anything about photography. There is a 59 page manual you can download from the DJI store - I suggest you read every page of that and watch all of the tutorials and if you are finding that it is going over your head then perhaps take a step back and look at cheaper options to start out with. That said, I was in your boat a couple of years ago and bought the Phantom 3 Professional as my first drone and by having £1000 of my money in the air I took more care not to crash it - I've never crashed/lost any of my DJI drones to date though I will one day - everyone does!

Do you have a link for the manual? Thanks
2018-3-28
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

slimharry Posted at 2018-3-28 06:26

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... 0Manual%20V2.0-.pdf
2018-3-28
Use props
Phantom Help
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

slimharry Posted at 2018-3-28 06:26

The current manual and other documentation is available here:
https://www.dji.com/mavic/info#downloads
2018-3-28
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 666483 ft
Netherlands

It sounds a bit like learning to ride a motorbike starting on a 1000cc bike.

Yes, you can, same for a Mavic drone, but expect a learningcurve and take it slow!  You don't have to be a techhead, bit it helps if you do read a lot of others experiences.
2018-3-28
Use props
Lamplighter55
Second Officer
Flight distance : 538596 ft
United Kingdom

Hard to recommend as it very much depends on your experience using other joystick related devices. I think to get the best imagery and a more up-to date 'follow-me' software I'd suggest the Mavic Air is probably the safest bet for you maybe? That said the longer fight times of the Pros offers more 'thinking time' while the drone is up in the air. Ether way you will need a couple to three batteries with your purchase ... so you will have enough power on tap for a number of flights in your next long trek up a mountain.
2018-3-28
Use props
Serra Nova
lvl.1

Greenland

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-3-28 07:35
It sounds a bit like learning to ride a motorbike starting on a 1000cc bike.

Yes, you can, same for a Mavic drone, but expect a learningcurve and take it slow!  You don't have to be a techhead, bit it helps if you do read a lot of others experiences.

Thank you I will Luckely for me the Greenlandic nature is vast and with low obstacles except high mountains. So I can practice safely out there. Also there are no polar bears in my area.
2018-3-28
Use props
FatherXmas
First Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

The Mavic Pro was my first drone. I read the manual and watched a ton of YouTube videos. Then when I finally got it, I went to a large open field with nothing to crash into and flew about a million figure eights until I was very comfortable with the controls. Just make sure you have the basics down before trying any of the advanced modes.
2018-3-28
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Phantom Help Posted at 2018-3-28 04:56

2018-3-31
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Hi Serra, you can choose the Mavic pro, read the user manual more than once before flying the drone, and make a preflight checklist as the video below shows, you will enjoy the flying.

2018-3-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules