Do we have Pano shooting mode for Inspire 2?
7924 23 2018-3-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>

Or - perhaps - is it only Phantom/Mavic/Spark specific option?
2018-3-28
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Sorry that there is no PANO mode for Inspire series products, please note the future release in our website, thanks for your interest.
2018-3-29
Use props
Rob W
lvl.4
Flight distance : 94390 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-3-29 01:36
Sorry that there is no PANO mode for Inspire series products, please note the future release in our website, thanks for your interest.

Hi Mindy,

Something must be done about Pro products having less functions and possibilities that the lower range of products. Pano mode and other functions like POI (promised for I don't know how long time(!)) are done purely in software, it's no hindering for it to work on, let's say, the Inspire 2.

Pay more, get less. Not good.
2018-3-29
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
  • >>>

Rob W Posted at 2018-3-29 02:36
Hi Mindy,

Something must be done about Pro products having less functions and possibilities that the lower range of products. Pano mode and other functions like POI (promised for I don't know how long time(!)) are done purely in software, it's no hindering for it to work on, let's say, the Inspire 2.

A few words of clarification about requested Pano mode, IMHO. Firstly - in it's form as featured in Go 4 app for Phantom/Mavic/Spark - it's an greatly overvalued option, rarely delivering visually attractive output image. For that reason automated panoramas and all these ridiculous tiny planets and asteroids will fade away in no time. However, the ability to efficiently shoot a series of required images for further post is nothing more than simple convenience. Add the benefits of using RAW files, longer lenses for even greater resolution, imported sky images taken from ground level with DSLR camera, and the world of interactive 360 x 180 spherical panoramas may be a different game at all ...   
2018-3-29
Use props
Rob W
lvl.4
  • >>>
Sweden

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2018-3-29 20:23
A few words of clarification about requested Pano mode, IMHO. Firstly - in it's form as featured in Go 4 app for Phantom/Mavic/Spark - it's an greatly overvalued option, rarely delivering visually attractive output image. For that reason automated panoramas and all these ridiculous tiny planets and asteroids will fade away in no time. However, the ability to efficiently shoot a series of required images for further post is nothing more than simple convenience. Add the benefits of using RAW files, longer lenses for even greater resolution, imported sky images taken from ground level with DSLR camera, and the world of interactive 360 x 180 spherical panoramas may be a different game at all ...

I'm not so much into making those planets or so, but having an easy and automated way of taking a panorama can be usable, for instance in 2.5 and 3D composites. POI is also very usable and it have been promised for a year, I think. Still not delivered.

Since there is no real hardware or software hindering the I2 from having these functions, I find it ridiculous not to let I2 user have these functions that are common in DJI's products.

It's like comparing two cars, one "standard" car with AC, a fairly weak but working engine, automated door lock, and then a more luxury car with powerful engine, camera and sensors all around the car, top of the notch audio system but *no* AC, with the excuse that the engine is better in the luxury car then in the cheaper standard car, so it should not have AC.

Although some people probably would never touch panorama or POI, there is simply put no excuse for I2 users not to have it, to be able to use them if they want to, or need to.
2018-3-29
Use props
Des_B
lvl.4
Flight distance : 129600 ft
United Kingdom

Hi Rob,

I understand your point, but I think you are banging your head against the DJI wall.

Litchee is what you need at the moment, cheap and does the job well.
2018-3-30
Use props
Rob W
lvl.4
  • >>>
Sweden

Des_B Posted at 2018-3-30 00:43
Hi Rob,

I understand your point, but I think you are banging your head against the DJI wall.

Yes, Litchi is good. But it does not work on Crystalsky which I use (well, an old version of Litchi does). The newer versions don't work as it needs Google Play.
2018-3-30
Use props
PilotSmith
lvl.4
Flight distance : 706539 ft
  • >>>

Can you use litch and inspire 2
2018-3-30
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
  • >>>

PilotSmith Posted at 2018-3-30 13:53

No, as far as I know. This app is compatible with Phantom/Mavic/Spark drones, i believe. Check on their website just to confirm.
2018-3-30
Use props
Des_B
lvl.4
Flight distance : 129600 ft
United Kingdom

PilotSmith Posted at 2018-3-30 13:53

Yes, I am using current version of Litchi with Inspire 2 - No problems at all
2018-3-31
Use props
PilotSmith
lvl.4
Flight distance : 706539 ft
  • >>>

Thanks so much
2018-4-1
Use props
VR360
lvl.1
  • >>>
Brazil

I'm planning to buy a I2 X7 D50 for high res 360 aerial job. But discovered I2 doesn't have PANO mode. Today april 2019 DJI didn't implemented it yet ?  Can't understand why Mavic has and top of the line equipment does not.  How can I ask a DJI staff about it , if there's plans for that or never will be ?
2019-4-12
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

VR360 Posted at 4-12 09:36
I'm planning to buy a I2 X7 D50 for high res 360 aerial job. But discovered I2 doesn't have PANO mode. Today april 2019 DJI didn't implemented it yet ?  Can't understand why Mavic has and top of the line equipment does not.  How can I ask a DJI staff about it , if there's plans for that or never will be ?

Don't count on it. Use venerable Litchi app for pano job instead, it woks charmingly. X7 with DL 50 lens, however, seem to be a bit of overkill for such application. I had excellent results shooting hires panos with X5S camera and Olympus 25 mm lens. D 50 will require much more images to stitch 360x110 sphere, which may result with two difficult to match sequences due to limited hovering time.
2019-4-12
Use props
Barney Meyer
lvl.1
Flight distance : 892 ft
Australia

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2019-4-12 10:46
Don't count on it. Use venerable Litchi app for pano job instead, it woks charmingly. X7 with DL 50 lens, however, seem to be a bit of overkill for such application. I had excellent results shooting hires panos with X5S camera and Olympus 25 mm lens. D 50 will require much more images to stitch 360x110 sphere, which may result with two difficult to match sequences due to limited hovering time.

Matthew, Litchi is working quite well for I2 X7 50mm DL to capture 4Gpx 360x180° aerial panoramas . BUT, as it requires 142 frames in the air you need great air stability and excellent visibility. Often it works spectacularly, at other times glitches in focus or gimbal movement can cause problems. This panorama required two goes and going back again when conditions are best taught me that I won't easily get away with less than ideal conditions. This is 4Gpx from the air: https://www.hiddenmelbourne.com.au/aerialviews/melbourne-high-school/
2020-3-18
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Barney Meyer Posted at 3-18 16:45
Matthew, Litchi is working quite well for I2 X7 50mm DL to capture 4Gpx 360x180° aerial panoramas . BUT, as it requires 142 frames in the air you need great air stability and excellent visibility. Often it works spectacularly, at other times glitches in focus or gimbal movement can cause problems. This panorama required two goes and going back again when conditions are best taught me that I won't easily get away with less than ideal conditions. This is 4Gpx from the air: https://www.hiddenmelbourne.com.au/aerialviews/melbourne-high-school/

Glitches in focus? How come? Are you shooting with Continuous AF?
2020-3-18
Use props
Barney Meyer
lvl.1
Flight distance : 892 ft
Australia

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 3-18 17:00
Glitches in focus? How come? Are you shooting with Continuous AF?

Hi Matthew
Generally, autofocus works well but sometimes I get a frame slightly out of focus. Manual focus from 120m in the sky seems to work better, with the aperture in the sweet range f/5.6 to f/8 on X7+50mm DL, manual exposure settings DNG raw files. I had a lot of problems with the gimbal so I decided to downgrade the firmware to Inspire2 V01.02.100 and everything worked. Today I went out to test the RCPANO app, which drives DJI Go4, but I found it to be pathetically slow, doesn't optimise the rows and times out due to a gimbal movement error. I switched to Litchi and it worked - I have to check the frames as we had 40kph wind gusts at 120m. What firmware are you on? I get regular complaints that the firmware is out of date. Hey, this stuff is not easy! I also shoot multi-gigapixel panos with 70mm and FF Camera from the tops of buildings and wind is just as much of a problem!
2020-3-22
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Barney Meyer Posted at 3-22 21:21
Hi Matthew
Generally, autofocus works well but sometimes I get a frame slightly out of focus. Manual focus from 120m in the sky seems to work better, with the aperture in the sweet range f/5.6 to f/8 on X7+50mm DL, manual exposure settings DNG raw files. I had a lot of problems with the gimbal so I decided to downgrade the firmware to Inspire2 V01.02.100 and everything worked. Today I went out to test the RCPANO app, which drives DJI Go4, but I found it to be pathetically slow, doesn't optimise the rows and times out due to a gimbal movement error. I switched to Litchi and it worked - I have to check the frames as we had 40kph wind gusts at 120m. What firmware are you on? I get regular complaints that the firmware is out of date. Hey, this stuff is not easy! I also shoot multi-gigapixel panos with 70mm and FF Camera from the tops of buildings and wind is just as much of a problem!

Barney, why are you worrying about firmware update? Anything what required some tweaking or ironing was done long time ago, version .0300 is final. Inspire 2 works just fine. If not, it's QC issue, not FW ...

Your occasional problems with focus are still puzzling me, since I never had a single issue of this nature. I'm shooting panos in manual mode by default.

I just purchased Sigma 56mm f1.4 lens from highly acclaimed DC DN Contemporary series. Expecting wonderful stills from this exceptionally sharp and clear glass, although with balancing weight the whole setup is on rather heavy side. I'm recently trying to master 3x3 stitches in my landscape photography, where this lens may shine. Sadly, familiar Adobe software can't properly read RAW files made by X5S with this lens, for whatever reason. For post processing I must use RawTherapee software, which is bypassing embedded lens profile.

Cheers,
Matthew.
sigma_56mm_f_1_4_dc_dn.jpg
2020-3-22
Use props
Rob W
lvl.4
  • >>>
Sweden

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 3-22 22:40
Barney, why are you worrying about firmware update? Anything what required some tweaking or ironing was done long time ago, version .0300 is final. Inspire 2 works just fine. If not, it's QC issue, not FW ...

Your occasional problems with focus are still puzzling me, since I never had a single issue of this nature. I'm shooting panos in manual mode by default.

To the best of my knowledge, the Inspire 2 has not reached End Of Life, and thus it is not sure that the .300 is the final firmware (or .400 that is nearly the same as .300). It is the latest, but perhaps not the last. I've just read some fresh rumors that a new firmware is coming, but as everything, take it with a large cup of salt.
2020-3-22
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Rob W Posted at 3-22 22:51
To the best of my knowledge, the Inspire 2 has not reached End Of Life, and thus it is not sure that the .300 is the final firmware (or .400 that is nearly the same as .300). It is the latest, but perhaps not the last. I've just read some fresh rumors that a new firmware is coming, but as everything, take it with a large cup of salt.

It's not that Inspire 2 reached (or is about to reach) EOL. It is a matured product. Not perfect, but it is what it is. The goods Inspire 2 is capable to deliver will be valid for years to come, even when 8K television finally become a standard. Thing is that this platform is not really a gold mine, like DJI and legions of entrepreneurs were hoping. The marketing niche for Inspire 2 happen to be much shallower than predicted, therefore DJI promptly shifted R&D efforts toward much more profitable Enterprise sector. Thousands of small drone filming ventures is struggling with fierce competition, bigger and better established rely on heavy lifters with Arri or RED camera rigs, eventually keeping I2 as a backup. That's why the market is oversaturated with second hand Inspire 2 for half the original price. The picture is even more murky with uncertainty of future droning regulations and restrictions. DJI may - eventually - come up with filming version of M200 with full frame sensor camera, but I doubt it.

That's why I don't expect anything of revolutionary nature in Inspire's future.
2020-3-23
Use props
Rob W
lvl.4
  • >>>
Sweden

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 3-23 12:02
It's not that Inspire 2 reached (or is about to reach) EOL. It is a matured product. Not perfect, but it is what it is. The goods Inspire 2 is capable to deliver will be valid for years to come, even when 8K television finally become a standard. Thing is that this platform is not really a gold mine, like DJI and legions of entrepreneurs were hoping. The marketing niche for Inspire 2 happen to be much shallower than predicted, therefore DJI promptly shifted R&D efforts toward much more profitable Enterprise sector. Thousands of small drone filming ventures is struggling with fierce competition, bigger and better established rely on heavy lifters with Arri or RED camera rigs, eventually keeping I2 as a backup. That's why the market is oversaturated with second hand Inspire 2 for half the original price. The picture is even more murky with uncertainty of future droning regulations and restrictions. DJI may - eventually - come up with filming version of M200 with full frame sensor camera, but I doubt it.

That's why I don't expect anything of revolutionary nature in Inspire's future.

Yes, I know the business and DJI's move from film to Enterprise. But I answered on that you wrote:
"Anything what required some tweaking or ironing was done long time ago, version .0300 is final."

You are indicating for users that it is the very last firmware to be released for the I2, which is actually perhaps not the case.

There are still things to iron out, a lot of improvements could be done for the I2 - things that would not cost so much development money as many of these functions are available in other drones from DJI, for instance panorama. It would be very easy to implement for DJI, yet not their crown photo/film drone have it, but their cheaper alternatives have it. Will DJI implement this, and fix other bugs? I don't know, I hope so, but DJI does not listen much to their customers, especially those that have invested a lot of money in their film drones and film equipment (Inspire 1 and 2 and up).
2020-3-23
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Rob W Posted at 3-23 22:13
Yes, I know the business and DJI's move from film to Enterprise. But I answered on that you wrote:
"Anything what required some tweaking or ironing was done long time ago, version .0300 is final."

Hi Rob
I think that Matthew is correct by saying the Inspire 2 has reached maturity. We have also been around for awhile and DJI sees the sales dropping off and shows less interest in supporting the software and hardware moving forward. They left many unfinished things on the Inspire 1 series as they quickly changed everything to the I2.

Technology keeps moving forward making new drone versions and features available for us to buy. But the new regulations will slow this process down and possibly kill the market all together at some point.

Rich
2020-3-24
Use props
Rob W
lvl.4
  • >>>
Sweden

RichJ53 Posted at 3-24 12:06
Hi Rob
I think that Matthew is correct by saying the Inspire 2 has reached maturity. We have also been around for awhile and DJI sees the sales dropping off and shows less interest in supporting the software and hardware moving forward. They left many unfinished things on the Inspire 1 series as they quickly changed everything to the I2.

Yes, I also think the I2 have reached maturity, I don't say that statement was wrong.

What I said was that firmware .300 may not be the final one as Matthew stated. It looks like we might get another one [rumors]. The Inspire 2 is not EOL yet (even if it looks like that, with no new firmware for over a year). Still it has its bugs, and missing features that it should have when it is sold as a proffessional photo/film drone in DJI's line of segment, as it is missing functions even the Mavic has.

Yes, new regulations spreading around the world make it more difficult for us pilots, as well as drone production companies. Many hobby pilots/small companies will find it difficult and tedious with all regulations and that might make the sales go down in that group, meaning drone production companies might have to move to other sectors, like DJI already have done for awhile - gearing towards Enterprise for the big bucks where there are more exemptions possible in the regulations, for instance, for the police and rescue services, mining operations etc.

Hopefully we'll see a light in the dark tunnel. Hopefully DJI kickstarts with better support, and fixes the bugs in the I2 and also put in new functions that should be there, like panorama, Apple ProRes for the X5S that was promised etc. Hope, Hope, hope...
2020-3-24
Use props
djiuser_FHrQRhU4Zgr3
lvl.3
Flight distance : 151962 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I believe DJI don't include panorama mode in I2 intentionally, as it's not as stable in the air as their smaller drones and could lead to stitching issues. I'm stitching panoramas manually with ptgui and constantly dealing with parallax problems
2020-4-27
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

djiuser_FHrQRhU4Zgr3 Posted at 4-27 18:08
I believe DJI don't include panorama mode in I2 intentionally, as it's not as stable in the air as their smaller drones and could lead to stitching issues. I'm stitching panoramas manually with ptgui and constantly dealing with parallax problems

This is one of possible reasons indeed, although not every Inspire 2 is wobbling so badly. Mine - for example - is pretty stable. Never had a single problem stitching panos, wind or not.
2020-4-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules