My Fly Away Was Covered... But...
2034 23 2018-3-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_y2RvLy3QPKJk
lvl.1
Flight distance : 15499 ft

I had an incident where I received a “SYS ERROR” message and watched it fly away unresponsive to any control attempts. Thankfully, my incedent was covered and a new drone is on the way to me.
I am so grateful, but I was never told what the problem was. I fear such an occurance happening again. I’d LOVE details as to what exactly happened so that perhaps I avoid a repeat. I’ve emailed support, but haven’t heard back. I figured I’d post here. Thanks!
2018-3-29
Use props
ghostrdr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1272723 ft
United States

My guess is that they discovered a known hardware problem with your drone, as evidenced by the fact that they are replacing it. If they suspected it was pilot error or some sort of interference, you would have been blown off without compensation. You'll probably never be provided with specifics because everyone else that loses a drone will point to your situation and claim theirs is the same. Be happy that you're getting a replacement drone and don't worry about the cause.
2018-3-29
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

" watched it fly away unresponsive to any control attempts "

There never is a Drone Gun around when you need one.
2018-3-29
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Did you see the "SYS ERROR" message on the DJI Remote Controller display or with GO / GO4 App?
2018-3-29
Use props
Flycaster
Second Officer
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-3-29 11:50

There never is a Drone Gun around when you need one.

Really!!!!!!!!!
Had to fill up for minimum charachter count...
2018-3-29
Use props
lomo2017
lvl.4

United States

DJI support is not good at returning emails. I had my MP fixed and sent them two emails with questions after I got the quote. Never responded. I got the replacement MP and never got my questions answered.

2018-3-29
Use props
djiuser_y2RvLy3QPKJk
lvl.1

lomo2017 Posted at 2018-3-29 13:18
DJI support is good at returning emails. I had my MP fixed and sent them two emails with questions after I got the quote. Never responded. I got the replacement MP and never got my questions answered.

Not encouraging. It’ll def take time to once again become confident flying without a reason. My replacement arrives tomorrow. I’m both excited and terrified. Watching in horror as your thousand dollar drone vanished into the horizon was... very memorable to say the least and left an impression. I’d REALLY like to know what happened.
http://N8looks@windstream.net
2018-3-29
Use props
djiuser_y2RvLy3QPKJk
lvl.1

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-3-29 11:53
Did you see the "SYS ERROR" message on the DJI Remote Controller display or with GO / GO4 App?

On the controller. On the app it said “disconnected”
2018-3-29
Use props
djiuser_y2RvLy3QPKJk
lvl.1

ghostrdr Posted at 2018-3-29 11:27
My guess is that they discovered a known hardware problem with your drone, as evidenced by the fact that they are replacing it. If they suspected it was pilot error or some sort of interference, you would have been blown off without compensation. You'll probably never be provided with specifics because everyone else that loses a drone will point to your situation and claim theirs is the same. Be happy that you're getting a replacement drone and don't worry about the cause.

Yeah I feared as much. It would be helpful to know what the problem was. Fear of a reoccurrence will be hard to overcome.
2018-3-29
Use props
djiuser_y2RvLy3QPKJk
lvl.1

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-3-29 11:50

There never is a Drone Gun around when you need one.

Ain’t that the truth. My EMP gun was malfunctioning at the moment as well.
2018-3-29
Use props
djiuser_y2RvLy3QPKJk
lvl.1

djiuser_y2RvLy3QPKJk Posted at 2018-3-29 13:33
On the controller. On the app it said “disconnected”

Screen grabs...
E67C2408-58B4-4EBE-BB5A-FB5C7BA9762E.jpeg
E3032798-4D8B-487B-936E-7116A964BE01.jpeg
2018-3-29
Use props
lomo2017
lvl.4

United States

djiuser_y2RvLy3QPKJk Posted at 2018-3-29 13:32
Not encouraging. It’ll def take time to once again become confident flying without a reason. My replacement arrives tomorrow. I’m both excited and terrified. Watching in horror as your thousand dollar drone vanished into the horizon was... very memorable to say the least and left an impression. I’d REALLY like to know what happened.
N8looks@windstream.net

I am sorry, I meant NOT good at replying emails. I corrected the original comment.
Don't be discourage. Probably one out off thousands with that error. You're getting a complete new replacement. Mine was pilot error, crashed it against a tall skinny dead tree at full throttle in Sport mode at 25m. Thought I was high enough
2018-3-29
Use props
djiuser_y2RvLy3QPKJk
lvl.1

lomo2017 Posted at 2018-3-29 17:06
I am sorry, I meant NOT good at replying emails. I corrected the original comment.
Don't be discourage. Probably one out off thousands with that error. You're getting a complete new replacement. Mine was pilot error, crashed it against a tall skinny dead tree at full throttle in Sport mode at 25m. Thought I was high enough

This was previously my greatest fear, smashing into a tree. I’ll tell you what, watching a $1000 drone disappear into the horizon really makes.a mark. I had grown so confident flying it, but now it’ll be hard to fly it much outta reach. I’m zure it’ll take time to trust again. Of all my drone related fears, a fly off wasn’t even on my radar.
Did you buy the extended warranty... whatever it’s called? If so, does crashing into tree get covered? Sorry, if not, hindsight is always 20/20.
2018-3-29
Use props
lomo2017
lvl.4

United States

djiuser_y2RvLy3QPKJk Posted at 2018-3-29 17:13
This was previously my greatest fear, smashing into a tree. I’ll tell you what, watching a $1000 drone disappear into the horizon really makes.a mark. I had grown so confident flying it, but now it’ll be hard to fly it much outta reach. I’m zure it’ll take time to trust again. Of all my drone related fears, a fly off wasn’t even on my radar.
Did you buy the extended warranty... whatever it’s called? If so, does crashing into tree get covered? Sorry, if not, hindsight is always 20/20.

No, no DJI care.
Cost me $175 to get it fixed. Actually, they didn't fix it. They sent me a refurbished one. That's how they handle it. The give you a repair quote, once you pay they'll send you a refurbished one. What hurt the drone was only one week old. That was January. I was flying out of VLOS. And it sport mode obstacle avoidance is disabled. At 60 km/hr it was to late to stop when I saw the tree.
That's how we all learn, by making mistakes and reading on this forum.
Hope you'll find your confidence again with your new drone.
2018-3-29
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

djiuser_y2RvLy3QPKJk Posted at 2018-3-29 13:33
On the controller. On the app it said “disconnected”

The "SYS ERROR" only on controller, appears to be rare happening.
In one case it was drone gone bad.  Another case, there was nothing figured out.  

Bad that you lost your drone.  But it is great that DJI is going to replace it.
2018-3-29
Use props
djiuser_y2RvLy3QPKJk
lvl.1

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-3-29 18:14
In one case it was drone gone bad.  Another case, there was nothing figured out.  

I REALLY appreciate that explanation. It helps to know this was an uncommon occurrence.
2018-3-29
Use props
djiuser_y2RvLy3QPKJk
lvl.1

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-3-29 18:14

I’m SERIOUSLY surprised they sent me a new one. I was certain of a different outcome. I’m impressed by the service I was received. It happened pretty fast. From incident to replacement in around a week.
2018-3-29
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

What is your case number and ticket number? I will try to check.
2018-3-29
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

lomo2017 Posted at 2018-3-29 13:18
DJI support is not good at returning emails. I had my MP fixed and sent them two emails with questions after I got the quote. Never responded. I got the replacement MP and never got my questions answered.

Sorry for this, Lomo, could you please provide me with your ticket number or email address so I can help to check?
2018-3-29
Use props
djiuser_y2RvLy3QPKJk
lvl.1

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-3-29 19:40
Sorry for this, Lomo, could you please provide me with your ticket number or email address so I can help to check?

I’d REALLY appreciate that!!

CAS-1567162-P0F5W0 CRM
2018-3-29
Use props
djiuser_y2RvLy3QPKJk
lvl.1

Email to N8looks@me.com
2018-3-29
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Thanks for the case number, it has been warrantied and the accident was not caused by pilot-error, there is nothing you should be worried about, you will just need to take care of the aircraft well and make a pre-flight checklist to make sure the drone is in good condition. If any issue happens again in the future, please contact us any time.
2018-3-29
Use props
lomo2017
lvl.4

United States

CAS-1389074-F7S1N0

I got a refurbished replacement, although my MP was only 1 week old. 3 emails never answered.  
2018-3-30
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

lomo2017 Posted at 2018-3-30 12:38
CAS-1389074-F7S1N0

I got a refurbished replacement, although my MP was only 1 week old. 3 emails never answered.

Thanks for the case number, your drone was damaged by pilot reason and not covered under warranty, it depends on the condition of the damage, either repair or replaces with a product that is new or equivalent to new in both performance and reliability. For the email service, it has been forwarded to the appropriate team for investigation and keep improving it. If there is any further issue, please feel free to let us know, we'll here for help. Thank you very much for your support.
2018-3-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules