Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
How Polarisers and ND Filters work to reduce glare
4906 32 2018-3-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Wellsi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Afternoon all

I had seen plenty of reviews on ND and polarised filters without any explanation of how polarisers actually work and the need to actually rotate and align them.  
They are so useful and make such a difference that I thought a short video, complete with quick 20 second physics lesson on polarised light, wiould help explain how reflections and glare are reduced by polarised (or polarized ) filters.   

Hope it's useful!

Cheers

Ian in London

2018-3-29
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Well presented Ian
2018-3-29
Use props
M2Wair
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Great tutorial Ian, factual and informative.
2018-3-29
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

Very good tutorial.  I have definitely learned from your video.
2018-3-29
Use props
ghostrdr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1272723 ft
United States

Good video, very well documented and explained.
2018-3-29
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

As tiny as those filters are, looks like you would need thin disposable gloves to prevent finger smudges near edges of filters.
2018-3-29
Use props
Wellsi
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-3-29 11:15
As tiny as those filters are, looks like you would need thin disposable gloves to prevent finger smudges near edges of filters.

Well, you tend you handle them from the edge, but they do supply a small lens cloth too....

Ian
2018-3-29
Use props
B1houdini
Second Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

Thanks Ian, Your video was very informative.
Most of my videos take place in very sunny condition so 75% of the time I use a 16ND filter. I hardly ever take it off.
Always wanted to try a polarizer so I think I will purchase one. Thanks again.

2018-3-29
Use props
GoldenSun
Second Officer
Flight distance : 681903 ft
Poland

Awesome video! Finally someone explained all things straight. I have to say I'm impressed, you made the video really interesting and informative yet kept it short. I liked also the information about the weight difference between no filter and the different filters. When you understand how it works, you can get the most out of a pack like this in different conditions.

All in all, fantastic job!

PS. Reaaally lovely footage at the end!
2018-3-29
Use props
FlyDK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1636286 ft
Denmark

Great video and explanation.
2018-3-29
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Beautiful scenery at the end of your video, thank you so much for your sharing. Hope you have a good time on flying.
2018-3-29
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

You do a pretty thorough job explaining the role of these filters to where myself as a layman when it comes to photography understood the concept a little better when after watching your video.
2018-3-29
Use props
Wellsi
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

GoldenSun Posted at 2018-3-29 13:24
Awesome video! Finally someone explained all things straight. I have to say I'm impressed, you made the video really interesting and informative yet kept it short. I liked also the information about the weight difference between no filter and the different filters. When you understand how it works, you can get the most out of a pack like this in different conditions.

All in all, fantastic job!

Thanks for the good words GodenSun! They're a great set with a lot of different uses.

Yes, was up at the right time for the misty sun rise!  Perfect conditions!

Ian
2018-3-29
Use props
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>

I Cant see the link to to buy these filters. Is there something I am missing

Dennis
2018-3-29
Use props
Wellsi
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bigplumbs Posted at 2018-3-29 22:29
I Cant see the link to to buy these filters. Is there something I am missing

Dennis

Hi Dennis
The links are in the text below the video; you may need to click the 'Show More' to expand the text.

Cheers
Ian
2018-3-29
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Very nice work!
Now I have my doubts on the usefulness of PL filters on drones.
Mainly because you don't know on forehand what the angle will be you are shooting when you still have the drone on the ground.
(and you can rotate them).
So you either must have luck, or come back every time you reframe your shot in another direction.

I have not tried them yet, but that is just how I find it hard already when using them on my DSLR.
2018-3-29
Use props
Wellsi
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-3-29 23:19
Very nice work!
Now I have my doubts on the usefulness of PL filters on drones.
Mainly because you don't know on forehand what the angle will be you are shooting when you still have the drone on the ground.

Well, that's the point I'm trying to make. The drone's camera will normally be horizontal and most reflections are off horizontal surfaces.  So all you need is to mark the rotator once you've got it aligned, as  I show when it's pointing at the water and you're viewing it through the screen..  That way it will always be set right.  Even if you take the filter off, however it sits when it screws on again, you'll rotate the rotator so the mark is at the top and you'll know it's aligned properly again for cutting down reflections from water and hosizontal surfaces.

That's how I've made them work for me....

Cheers,
Ian
2018-3-30
Use props
Spiritua
lvl.4
Flight distance : 904347 ft
Switzerland

Very useful, thank you !
2018-3-30
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Wellsi Posted at 2018-3-30 05:42
Well, that's the point I'm trying to make. The drone's camera will normally be horizontal and most reflections are off horizontal surfaces.  So all you need is to mark the rotator once you've got it aligned, as  I show when it's pointing at the water and you're viewing it through the screen..  That way it will always be set right.  Even if you take the filter off, however it sits when it screws on again, you'll rotate the rotator so the mark is at the top and you'll know it's aligned properly again for cutting down reflections from water and hosizontal surfaces.

That's how I've made them work for me....

But how do you know what angle you will be setting your camera when it is still on the ground?
That will depend on when you are flying and see something beautiful.
At least when I'm using PL filters with my DSLR, I have to adjust them when I turn my camera up, down, left or right. (since the angle of the light changes)
2018-3-30
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft

As always, excellent tutorial, thank you!
2018-3-30
Use props
Wellsi
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-3-30 06:03
But how do you know what angle you will be setting your camera when it is still on the ground?
That will depend on when you are flying and see something beautiful.
At least when I'm using PL filters with my DSLR, I have to adjust them when I turn my camera up, down, left or right. (since the angle of the light changes)

True, you're never going to get perfect alignment, but the biggest effect is in the rotational alignment based on the likelihood that you'll be pointing downwards (to some degree).  I found once you have aligned the filter, most water reflections are reduced whichever way you're flying...

Ian
2018-3-30
Use props
Wellsi
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-3-30 06:16
As always, excellent tutorial, thank you!

Thank you squire

Ian
2018-3-30
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Wellsi Posted at 2018-3-30 06:58
True, you're never going to get perfect alignment, but the biggest effect is in the rotational alignment based on the likelihood that you'll be pointing downwards (to some degree).  I found once you have aligned the filter, most water reflections are reduced whichever way you're flying...

Ian

Nice to know.
My main concern is not in the water,  but more in the sky.
With my DSLR at least, if I mis-align the PL filter, I get really unnatural looking dark blue skies.
And especially with the wide angle lens, this is not even throughout the frame.
If you want (and have the time), can you test some PL shots where there is blue sky in the frame?
I'd like to see how that looks.
2018-3-30
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-3-30 10:55
Nice to know.
My main concern is not in the water,  but more in the sky.
With my DSLR at least, if I mis-align the PL filter, I get really unnatural looking dark blue skies.

PL's are great if flying in a direct line over a planned route to cut through reflectivity such as large bodies of water but as soon as you yaw the drone typically more than 45 degrees to/from the sun the polarisation changes and this can lead to what is known as polarised artefact which tends to ruin shots/images that were not aligned before take off.

No polariser can be neutral either as they all impact on the blues/greens in the image - making them darker and pop more - true ND filters need to keep the colours neutral (as it says on the tin). This is why I no longer use PL filters on my drones and presumably why DJI don't sell them for their drones.  
2018-3-30
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

A CW Posted at 2018-3-30 11:51
PL's are great if flying in a direct line over a planned route to cut through reflectivity such as large bodies of water but as soon as you yaw the drone typically more than 45 degrees to/from the sun the polarisation changes and this can lead to what is known as polarised artefact which tends to ruin shots/images that were not aligned before take off.

No polariser can be neutral either as they all impact on the blues/greens in the image - making them darker and pop more - true ND filters need to keep the colours neutral (as is says on the tin). This is why I no longer use PL filters on my drones and presumably why DJI don't sell them for their drones.

Thanks for the explanation.
That is my concern indeed.
I did get the PP 6pack for my MP the first time. But returned it with the drone.
Next will probably just be the ND filters.
Even though I like how reflections are reduced,  they are way too expensive (for me at least) to justify the limited use.
2018-3-30
Use props
chiplifter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 745180 ft
Netherlands

Very well explained Ian. Good tutorial. Will give my polars (polar pro)  a test upcoming holiday which  is starting this sunday.
2018-3-30
Use props
Skymax.
lvl.3
Australia

Good.
Often my problem is flying and filming along a White sand beach with dark Green jungle right at the edge.
If I set S Speed to expose the beach properly the green jungle looks almost Black, if I set for the Green Jungle the beach is Flaring and too hot.
Even with an ND8 being used.
it seems unless you are in soft-light England with even light on same-colour fields there is always going to be a trade off about what you want exposed properly and what you have to accept down here in the South Pacific where the light is intense.
2018-3-30
Use props
Wellsi
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A CW Posted at 2018-3-30 11:51

No polariser can be neutral either as they all impact on the blues/greens in the image - making them darker and pop more - true ND filters need to keep the colours neutral (as it says on the tin). This is why I no longer use PL filters on my drones and presumably why DJI don't sell them for their drones.

That's good information to know. Thanks.  I was wondering about skies and cloud reflections when I was making the video, but wanted to focus on water for this particular video. Cant do everything in one review.  
When I finally get to see some blue sky, I'll try some more tests, so I can see how the blues are affected and how the clouds are too.
That makes having the 8-pack of PL and non-PL ND filters all the more useful I guess.
Thanks as ever for the advice and input.

Ian
2018-3-31
Use props
Wellsi
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Diana Posted at 2018-3-29 19:48
Beautiful scenery at the end of your video, thank you so much for your sharing. Hope you have a good time on flying.

Thanks Diana

I was lucky with the weather for that end shot. I nice way to end the physics lesson

Cheers,
Ian
2018-3-31
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Wellsi Posted at 2018-3-31 01:27
That's good information to know. Thanks.  I was wondering about skies and cloud reflections when I was making the video, but wanted to focus on water for this particular video. Cant do everything in one review.  
When I finally get to see some blue sky, I'll try some more tests, so I can see how the blues are affected and how the clouds are too.
That makes having the 8-pack of PL and non-PL ND filters all the more useful I guess.

Raining all day here today! Look forward to your next vid mate
2018-3-31
Use props
Wellsi
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Skymax. Posted at 2018-3-30 12:44
Good.
Often my problem is flying and filming along a White sand beach with dark Green jungle right at the edge.
If I set S Speed to expose the beach properly the green jungle looks almost Black, if I set for the Green Jungle the beach is Flaring and too hot.

I assure you, most people would handle the problem of harsh light for the opportunity to be in your setting........
Are you north Australia?
2018-3-31
Use props
FoxAdriano
lvl.1

Italy

Hey, This thread is really interesting. I need a suggestion about ND filters. I make video editing and I loook a 4K good video quality. I sometimes shoot in Africa in remote areas. In your opinion is it better to buy PolarProVND or PolarPro ND/PL? I don't shoot over water but I read you need ND/PL filter even if you don't soot above water because it cut reflections and glare and other small problems as mist.  

I have to buy a filter for my Air 2 that I have recently. Which one of both filters do you suggest for me? I like to get the best 4K video quality.
Thank you.
2021-1-5
Use props
djiuser_5NKHqwPeBXyQ
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Great video very well explained
2022-5-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules