Focus „pumping“
2498 23 2018-3-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Wide Angle
lvl.1
Germany

Hi,
yesterday I got my new Osmo Mobile 2, I use it with my iPhone X. Today I ran into a problem and I don‘t have a solution. I hope, someone in this forum can help me.

When I record in normal film mode in the dji app, the focus is „pumping“ permanently and I don‘t know why. When I record with the iPhone camera app everything ist stable, no pumping. I attach a short video, so you can see what I mean. iPhone software is 11.3., dji software is the latest from Apple‘s App Store.

I would really be greatful for your help.
Cheers from Germany, Thomas

2018-3-30
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

It looks like the focus is off (you would expect sharper footage at least).
Not sure if Youtube caused that.
If that is also in the original footage, it might cause the auto focus to think it needs to re focus.

You can avoid it, by switching to manual focus, but that is not a permanent solution.

I at least don't have this issue on the iPhone SE.
Except for when I'm walking and the auto focus gets confused.
So than I switch to manual focus.
2018-3-30
Use props
Wide Angle
lvl.1
Germany

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-3-30 11:43
If that is also in the original footage, it might cause the auto focus to think it needs to re focus.

Thx, I will try with manual focus. But as you said, this is not a solution. Apple's camera app works flawless without pumping.
2018-3-30
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Wide Angle Posted at 2018-3-30 21:09
Thx, I will try with manual focus. But as you said, this is not a solution. Apple's camera app works flawless without pumping.

Angle, thanks for your attention. The situation will be forwarded for further check.
2018-3-31
Use props
Wide Angle
lvl.1
Germany

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-3-30 11:43

I tried it with manual focus and then the pumping stopped. Kind of workaround, but not the real thing.
2018-3-31
Use props
Wide Angle
lvl.1
Germany

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-3-31 00:18
Angle, thanks for your attention. The situation will be forwarded for further check.

I tried new recordings in time-lapse-mode and motion-lapse mode. Same result, pumping focus. The complete stuff is not usable
2018-3-31
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Wide Angle Posted at 2018-3-30 21:09

You're welcome.
2018-3-31
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Wide Angle Posted at 2018-3-31 01:24
I tried it with manual focus and then the pumping stopped. Kind of workaround, but not the real thing.

True indeed.
The AF is fooled by something.
2018-3-31
Use props
Wide Angle
lvl.1
Germany

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-3-31 00:18

Hi,

meanwhile I tried to record with the other resolution settings. The „pumping focus“ only occurs in 1920x1080 60fps. Right now it seems, that recordings in the other camera settings are stable. I will try that out tomorrow in daylight.

Cheers, Thomas
2018-3-31
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Wide Angle Posted at 2018-3-31 11:39
Hi,

meanwhile I tried to record with the other resolution settings. The „pumping focus“ only occurs in 1920x1080 60fps. Right now it seems, that recordings in the other camera settings are stable. I will try that out tomorrow in daylight.

Angle, thanks for your update. Please try to long press the image screen and wait for the icon of AE, then shoot a video again.
2018-3-31
Use props
WideAngle
lvl.1
Germany

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-3-31 22:32
Angle, thanks for your update. Please try to long press the image screen and wait for the icon of AE, then shoot a video again.

The only way to get stable movies is to choose other resolutions than 1920x1080 60fps. In daylight I tried out the other three possible resolutions, and they were o.k.
2018-4-1
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

WideAngle Posted at 2018-4-1 02:49
The only way to get stable movies is to choose other resolutions than 1920x1080 60fps. In daylight I tried out the other three possible resolutions, and they were o.k.

In this case, please tell me the version of your app and I would help you forward the situation. Thanks for your support.
2018-4-1
Use props
WideAngle
lvl.1
Germany

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-4-1 03:02
In this case, please tell me the version of your app and I would help you forward the situation. Thanks for your support.

2018-4-1
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Thanks for your update. The situation was forwarded. I think our engineers are trying to locate the problem.
2018-4-1
Use props
pendragon
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1018776 ft
Netherlands

Hi, was this ever fixed for you? I have a brand new OnePlus 6 with the Osmo Mobile 2 and have the exact same issue, but on all resolutions.
2018-6-1
Use props
WideAngle
lvl.1
Ireland

pendragon Posted at 2018-6-1 04:52
Hi, was this ever fixed for you? I have a brand new OnePlus 6 with the Osmo Mobile 2 and have the exact same issue, but on all resolutions.

Thx for asking. No, I never got an answer, I record Timelapse and normal footage only with the built in iOS camera app.
2018-6-1
Use props
pendragon
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1018776 ft
Netherlands

WideAngle Posted at 2018-6-1 06:11
Thx for asking. No, I never got an answer, I record Timelapse and normal footage only with the built in iOS camera app.

That's a bummer. Thanks for the answer...I'm going to dji and if they can't fix it, I'm going to ask my money back. I've tried for a month now to get it right.
2018-6-1
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

We are trying to follow up this concern to our engineers and waiting for their feedback on this kind of concern, once again we do apologize for the inconvenience.
2018-6-1
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi all, this issue has been fixed on v3.1.31, please make sure your APP has been updated to the latest version, thanks.
2018-6-5
Use props
ruizink
New
Portugal

Not quite.
I'm running v3.1.38(701_go3_googlePlay) and the app is constantly hunting for focus.
My device: OnePlus 6 running OxygenOS 5.1.5 (Android 8.1.0)
Can't confirm if it's fixed for iOS devices though.
2018-6-5
Use props
Hurley1718
First Officer
Flight distance : 549295 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm running 3.1.38 also on iOS with an iPhone 8+ and I do not have this issue.
2018-6-5
Use props
WideAngle
lvl.1
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-6-5 00:03
Hi all, this issue has been fixed on v3.1.31, please make sure your APP has been updated to the latest version, thanks.

I just checked it with the new version and it seems to work now. Thx for your help.

Cheers, Thomas
2018-6-5
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

WideAngle Posted at 2018-6-5 12:01
I just checked it with the new version and it seems to work now. Thx for your help.

Cheers, Thomas

You are welcome Thomas, please keep us posted if there is any other problem, enjoy shooting.
2018-6-5
Use props
Tempostudio
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1598878 ft
  • >>>
Ukraine

How to lock AutoFocus and not lock AutoExposition?
2018-7-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules