Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
[Heads up] Quick release prop adaptors
12Next >
4432 60 2015-5-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
FictitiousPerso
Second Officer
Flight distance : 303356 ft
Italy

Just doing checks after a succesfull firmware update.

Reading glasses on, torch out and went over the whole craft, to my shock all quick release adaptors have hairline cracks on the shoulders where the bolts go in.
I took extra care not to overtighten and have checked before and after every flight. Today i found the said cracks and thats 4-5 flights and there not safe to fly.
It seems if you pinch the 2 sides (not much force) it bends the plastic and i would presume this puts strain on the thin shoulder part where the crack is.( 2 anchor points in a circle seems liek a bad idea IMHO)

Should DJI take a look at the design and come up with a solution or confirm a torque setting before more birds start throwing these props off. Ive contacted support and am awaiting a reply.

I would suggest everyone who has them checks for these cracks or risk a prop or 2 flying off mid flight

Hairline Cracks

Hairline Cracks
2015-5-7
Use props
Acidsnow
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13 ft
Canada

this seems to be happening to quite a few people . . . DJI needs to recall these ASAP
2015-5-7
Use props
FictitiousPerso
Second Officer
Italy

Acidsnow Posted at 2015-5-7 21:12
this seems to be happening to quite a few people . . . DJI needs to recall these ASAP

Its the weakest point, kind of expected really as you can't anchor down a circular disk at just 2 opposite points as you would get a folding affect at the weak point. This being the shallow shoulders beside the screws.
2015-5-7
Use props
Gatorone30
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1145489 ft
United States

Man i am going back to my old props until this is sorted out! That is nuts. If just one prop is thrown the bird goes down. DJI this is no joke! This needs to be addressed immediately!
2015-5-7
Use props
FictitiousPerso
Second Officer
Italy

Carbon fiber adaptors Maybe?  Dunno but the minute I thinks it's 100% ok I find this

2015-5-7
Use props
Dave E
Second Officer
Flight distance : 729560 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

This is a bit worrying. I'm pleased I kept my old props.
2015-5-7
Use props
Rockeyes
lvl.4

United Kingdom

FictitiousPerso Posted at 2015-5-7 21:36
Carbon fiber adaptors Maybe?  Dunno but the minute I thinks it's 100% ok I find this

Well done. Glad you found that in time. I had a look over mine again and I'm OK, but after studying them you see how ridiculously thin on material they are. I don't know why the bolt holes are counter bored either
2015-5-7
Use props
Muzzy
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Rockeyes Posted at 2015-5-7 22:27
Well done. Glad you found that in time. I had a look over mine again and I'm OK, but after studyin ...

Do you think it would be too much to ask DJI for stainless steel ones?

That should be OK for strength I think and great for the exposure they get to the elements.
2015-5-7
Use props
daver/m
Second Officer
Flight distance : 234590 ft
United States

Checked mine after seeing the post , and they all are fine no cracks and they didn't look distorted like the photo shows , they look over tightened and the plastic lock bent up slightly on each side from over tightening... Should those lock plates be stronger ? Probably so but Im not seeing this with my bird so far after lots of flight time... Over tightening small RC parts is easy to do ..tighten firmly not reefed down.
2015-5-7
Use props
FictitiousPerso
Second Officer
Italy

daver/m Posted at 2015-5-7 23:44
Checked mine after seeing the post , and they all are fine no cracks and they didn't look distorted  ...

Good point and was waiting for someone saying there overtightened, but i can well sure you they are not.
I have been building RC’s for 35yrs + and know what is tight and what is overtight and the adaptors where put on as per suggestions on the forums, what your seeing in that picture is the sides deformed from stress on the plate, i fly ATTI most times and put it through its paces. and the last time i was out it was windy and i did a lot of quick braking as i was adjusting gains etc to see how much difference the percentages made.

Just a heads up as if i had overtightened them i would not have posted the "heads up" and bought a load more as they are dirt cheap
2015-5-7
Use props
hcpilot
lvl.3
Flight distance : 33763 ft
United States

Im putting on my old props and prop locks back on!!!! Can't risk that!!!
2015-5-7
Use props
FictitiousPerso
Second Officer
Italy

hcpilot@cox.net Posted at 2015-5-8 00:11
Im putting on my old props and prop locks back on!!!! Can't risk that!!!

Me too i have 2 full sets of spare adaptors which i now class as redundant)too risky) and props to match
2015-5-7
Use props
paul
lvl.4
Flight distance : 750922 ft
France

Just checked mine after 20 flights and all OK.
2015-5-7
Use props
FictitiousPerso
Second Officer
Italy

I would just keep a close eye on them regardless
2015-5-7
Use props
Captain Obvious
Second Officer

Australia

FictitiousPerso Posted at 2015-5-8 00:26
I would just keep a close eye on them regardless

I thought these would end up being the weak spot...Don't think I'll be installing those anytime soon.
2015-5-7
Use props
daver/m
Second Officer
Flight distance : 234590 ft
United States

FictitiousPerso Posted at 2015-5-8 00:06
Good point and was waiting for someone saying there overtightened, but i can well sure you they ar ...

Very good then we both have been doing RC flight a long time ,myself since I was 16 and I'm 60 now ...
And worked on just about everything big and small ....
They still (looked)  as if they were over tightened , trust me I've flown the rat outa my inspire too !
I'll definitely keep an eye on this , i always inspect my RC planes , phantom 1.1 and 2 as well as my inspire 1... Ok then they broke from hard flying then as you say.
2015-5-7
Use props
GENETTICO
lvl.4

United States

I just checked on mine and no breaks.... but definitely something to look out for... thank you for mentioning it!
2015-5-7
Use props
dbeck
Second Officer

United States

Checked mine...A-OK...love them
2015-5-7
Use props
hcpilot
lvl.3
Flight distance : 33763 ft
United States

I put my old ones back on!! Its not worth the risk!!!! If one breaks in flight............. CRASH!!!! Not worth 3K. The old props and prop locks are NOT that difficult to install and remove!!! Just not worth the risk. I will use old ones until they make a sturdy metal version of the quick release ones!!! Everyone should think long and hard about this one!!!!!!
2015-5-7
Use props
dmytchak
lvl.4

United States

THANK YOU!!!!

I just checked mine and no issues.  However, this will now go onto my preflight checklist.

-David
2015-5-7
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Well folks, I checked mine and they seem the same as when they were installed for service. I am not ready to jump ship yet, these props work very nicely and run very smoothly. During my close inspection, I noticed the plastic cable channels were coming unstuck from the battery frame. They have a screw at the top and use double sided servo tape running down the front of the battery box....

I certainly hope DJI answers us on this situation soon.

Rich
2015-5-7
Use props
DJI-Autumn
First Officer

Hong Kong

So you just used it to fly for 4-5 times? I am talking to the production folks.
2015-5-8
Use props
FictitiousPerso
Second Officer
Italy

DJI-Autumn Posted at 2015-5-8 16:18
So you just did 4-5 flight with quick release props before right? I am talking to the production fol ...

Hi DJI-Autumn

yes no more than half a dozen flights, they all have the same amount of torque applied to tighten them.

The worst ones are the front ones you can really see the cracks. Im hoping its just a bad batch of the production line as the props are much better noise wise and ease of use & seem to make the craft more stable.
2015-5-8
Use props
DJI-Autumn
First Officer

Hong Kong

FictitiousPerso Posted at 2015-5-8 16:23
Hi DJI-Autumn

yes no more than half a dozen flights, they all have the same amount of torque appl ...

This one, right? 2.jpg

2015-5-8
Use props
FictitiousPerso
Second Officer
Italy

thats the front left side (Port side) the worst one
2015-5-8
Use props
markaguille
Captain
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Guernsey

Good find, thanks for sharing dude.
2015-5-8
Use props
markaguille
Captain
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Guernsey

I just checked mine, thankfully all ok. I will be checking this every flight from now.
2015-5-8
Use props
Ph02on
lvl.4
Flight distance : 75673 ft
United Kingdom

What torque values did you use and what did you use to torque them with?  If you didnt use a torque driver or wrench, then tightning the screws down would be very 'subjective' at best.  A wrench would require much less effort than a driver. Nominal torqe settings for a fine pitch M2/M2.5 screw is only 0.3Nm/0.6Nm.  You would need to use a hex driver and not a wrench to avoid over tightning.
I am not saying that you have over torqued, but to have all 4 adaptors cracked when many others show no signs after more flights could suggest accidental over torquing.  However it could also be possible that you have received a flawed batch and are just very unlucky.  Either way, thanks for bringing this up.
Hope you resolve the issue soon.  fly safe.

Jason
2015-5-8
Use props
FictitiousPerso
Second Officer
Italy

Ph02on Posted at 2015-5-8 23:33
What torque values did you use and what did you use to torque them with?  If you didnt use a torque  ...

Hi Jason

Screwed on with a driver(Pic attached) until seated and then a little nip up then i did a test flight and checked all was ok(no play) I've now removed all Quick release parts and on further inspection i have noticed the part that would push the prop (the flat shoulder) is where they are split on all mounts. Going by the look of them i would say they moulded plastic has flaws as its very rough where the weakness is.

Possible like you say a bad batch but worth keeping an eye on.

tool.jpg
2015-5-8
Use props
roy
lvl.1

United States

Ph02on Posted at 2015-5-8 23:33
What torque values did you use and what did you use to torque them with?  If you didnt use a torque  ...

It's not just the OP. According to another post in this thread this is happening to other people too. As with all issues, they are not going to happen to everyone. For instance, not everyone lost a propeller before prop locks were shipped. And not everyone had an issue with prop locks before the QR were shipped. Not everyone has an inexplicable fly away. Point is if the same thing is happening to multiple people it suggests there could be a problem and at the very least people should keep an eye on the situation.

Even if this is the result of over-tightening, then DJI hasn't gone far enough to prevent this very easily made user error. They should either be stronger to be able to withstand over-tightening or better instruction should be given to help prevent it. Not everyone is going to tighten them the same way or know when to stop.

If this is happening to a lot of people then I imagine v4 being around the corner.
2015-5-8
Use props
Ph02on
lvl.4
United Kingdom

FictitiousPerso Posted at 2015-5-9 06:11
Hi Jason

Screwed on with a driver(Pic attached) until seated and then a little nip up then i did a ...

Hi FP.  It sounds like you have done everything by the book and used the right tool for the job.  I hope I didn't come across as questioning your integrity or honesty.  It sounds like DJI may have an issue here.  Without knowing the mechanical properties of the plastic used for the adaptors, it is difficult to make an accurate assessment on the structural integrity of them.
I will however say that a 2 screw mounting arrangement is far from ideal for a plastic adaptor.  All of the loading from the thrust of the rotor is running across the line of symmetry bisecting the fixing screws.  This also happens to be the weakest axis (structurally) of the whole adaptor, due to the cutouts on the cam ring and the counterbores for clamping.  If I were designing this, because you have to respect the PCD of the tapped holes on the motors and there are only 2,  I would have either used a more suitable material for the adaptor or I would have oversized the adaptor and rotor hub to allow the 2 holes to be rotated by 90 degrees.  The axis of loading would then lie across the centre of the raised cam ring.  This would greatly increase its structural integrity and make it almost bullet proof.
Lets hope this is a very localised problem from a faulty batch and not widespread.

Jason
2015-5-9
Use props
Captain Obvious
Second Officer

Australia

As I still have not received my set STILL!! I cant comment to much...But do the props just slip over the tread of the shaft?
If* so then wouldn't the force of the crafts lift and especially under heavy maneuvering put upward force on that part...
If you where to try and 'separate' that part by hand by pulling upon it how much force can it take before it snaps around
those screws? You could also test by evenly pulling up on each end of an attached prop as the case would be while flying.

I mean the screwed on props are held firmly on by the threads of the motors shaft and then the prop locks so 2x security
But if these new ones snap around the screws by force of lift there's nothing holding them on and one could only imaging
what will come of that

Just saying is all And sorry if it's hard to follow
2015-5-9
Use props
Ph02on
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Captain Obvious Posted at 2015-5-9 18:28
As I still have not received my set STILL!! I cant comment to much...But do the props just slip over ...

Captain.  To answer your question.  The new QR props do not interact with the threaded shaft at all.  All of the lift force is transferred through the adaptor, secured to the motor via the 2 tapped holes secured by the 2 screws.  I doubt that hand pulling will cause the adaptors to fail.  It is likely that the props will snap first.  The problem is what is called 'Load cycling'  Everytime the motors are throttled up and down, the adaptor is flexing and relaxing  along the clamping axis.  This is only happening because there are  2 tapped holes to secure the adaptor to the motor housing.  3 would be much better, but 4 would be perfect as this would distribute the load equally across the whole adaptor and not just across a single clamping line of symmetry.  The repeated load cycling effectively wants to 'fold' the adaptor, so it has to be strong enough to resist this over the many cycles of its expected lifetime.

Jason
2015-5-9
Use props
FictitiousPerso
Second Officer
Italy

Ph02on Posted at 2015-5-9 17:41
Hi FP.  It sounds like you have done everything by the book and used the right tool for the job.   ...

Hi Jason

Nope you aren't coming across as questioning my integrity or honesty.. its a discussion and a serious one.

I think your bang on about the possible flawed design of the fixing points and weakness, it to me seems a hell of a strain would be put on 2 little screws sitting on countersunk plastic, I've seen this fixing design on a friends Storm 6 Hex but not a quick release prop just screwed (2 screws)directly through the prop which i should mention are carbon fibre props and they have no countersink( if i remember correctly they are actually thicker at the srewed part).

Hes has had a few hard crashes (he day dreams while on the sticks) and some props broke but the remaining parts left where actually the area that was screwed to the motor. Carbon fibre or a stronger material would be the way forward IMHO.
I maybe wrong but hopefully they get it fixed as i too love the QR props as great for set up and less noise and it might be me but i feel they make the bird more precise.
2015-5-9
Use props
FictitiousPerso
Second Officer
Italy

Ph02on Posted at 2015-5-9 18:47
Captain.  To answer your question.  The new QR props do not interact with the threaded shaft at al ...

" The repeated load cycling effectively wants to 'fold' the adaptor,"

Thats what i can see is happening Fingers crossed its just a dirty batch and we can get back to playing happily ever after
2015-5-9
Use props
GB44
Captain
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

Thanks for the Heads Up on these.

Certainly another item to check pre and post flight.
2015-5-9
Use props
FictitiousPerso
Second Officer
Italy

DJI-Autumn Posted at 2015-5-8 16:18
So you just used it to fly for 4-5 times? I am talking to the production folks.

Any update on the "talking to the production folk" as I've heard nothing back from support
2015-5-11
Use props
DJI-Autumn
First Officer

Hong Kong

FictitiousPerso Posted at 2015-5-11 17:19
Any update on the "talking to the production folk" as I've heard nothing back from support

Just got the feedback and gonna tell you. They will take methods to address the issue.
For now, you can contact support or dealer to get the spare parts, those are replaceable.
And remember that do not use thread lock or screw the bolts too tightly, or the plastic parts will crack and be embrittled.
2015-5-11
Use props
FictitiousPerso
Second Officer
Italy

DJI-Autumn Posted at 2015-5-11 17:36
Just got the feedback and gonna tell you. They will take methods to address the issue.
For now, you ...

Hi Autumn

Methods to address are ? I would have thought dji would have wanted the faulty adaptors sent to them for inspection?
So basically I have to purchase replacements and pay another postage charge ?
Most companies would have requested the faulty ones back for inspection and in the meantime sent out replacements or is this what dji are going to do?
2015-5-11
Use props
DJI-Autumn
First Officer

Hong Kong

FictitiousPerso Posted at 2015-5-11 17:50
Hi Autumn

Methods to address are ? I would have thought dji would have wanted the faulty adaptor ...

I guess another user have already reported the issue so they got the faulty sample because they didnt require me to get the faulty one back.
I think you can get the parts for free, contact support and tell them your problem, but not sure about the postage  part.
2015-5-11
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules