Crystalsky CS550 treating USB hard disk as "read-only"
2609 6 2018-3-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Vaughanabe13
lvl.1
United States

I am having trouble copying files from a microSD card to a USB hard disk on the Crystalsky 5.5. I am using this 1TB hard disk from Seagate, and it is plugged into the USB-A port on the CS550, with the MicroSD card also in the SD1 slot. In the File Explorer, both are showing up just fine, and I'm able to play videos directly off both. I can also copy a large video file FROM the USB hard disk TO the SD card or to the internal memory, so there are no issues reading data from the USB disk.

However, I cannot seem to copy/paste anything from either SD or internal memory into the USB hard disk. I copy a file, navigate to the hard disk folder, and then click Editor-Paste as usual. The transfer dialog comes up but then it immediately disappears, with no error or message displayed. The file is never pasted to the disk. It's like the CrystalSky is treating my hard disk as read-only.

I already tried going into Settings-Storage and both the SD card and the USB disk were detected properly. I tried unmounting and remounting USB2 (hard disk) and that did not fix the issue - I was still unable to paste anything into the USB disk. I also rebooted the CrystalSky and that didn't help.

I can write files to this hard drive with no issues on both a Windows PC and a Chromebook so I don't think there is anything wrong with the drive itself. Does the drive need to be formatted in a certain way to be compatible with Crystalsky? Next I am going to try copying to a USB flash drive and see if that works, but either way I still need to fix this hard drive issue so I can back up my SD cards on the go. Please advise.
2018-3-30
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

Have you turned on USB storage on your CS once connected? You get a notification in the main menu of CS when you connect to something, klick on it and switch on for transferring files.

Screenshot_2018-03-30-17-57-27.jpg
2018-3-30
Use props
Vaughanabe13
lvl.1
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-3-30 08:06
Have you turned on USB storage on your CS once connected? You get a notification in the main menu of CS when you connect to something, klick on it and switch on for transferring files.

I'm confused, are you talking about connecting the crystalsky to a computer? That's not what I'm saying. I'm trying to move a video onto my external USB drive, which is connected via the USB Type-A port. When I connect the USB drive to the crystalsky, it automatically mounts the drive and I can view it immediately in the file explorer, but I can't move any files to it.
2018-3-30
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

Vaughanabe13 Posted at 2018-3-30 08:14
I'm confused, are you talking about connecting the crystalsky to a computer? That's not what I'm saying. I'm trying to move a video onto my external USB drive, which is connected via the USB Type-A port. When I connect the USB drive to the crystalsky, it automatically mounts the drive and I can view it immediately in the file explorer, but I can't move any files to it.

Maybe you are right, it was just a thought.
2018-3-30
Use props
Vaughanabe13
lvl.1
United States

I have an update: I tried this same process using a 32GB USB flash drive. I even used the Crystalsky to erase/format the disk, and then I tried pasting a file onto the drive. It didn't work on this drive either. So it appears the problem is with all drives plugged into this USB-A port.
2018-3-30
Use props
Vaughanabe13
lvl.1
United States

Vaughanabe13 Posted at 2018-3-30 10:06
I have an update: I tried this same process using a 32GB USB flash drive. I even used the Crystalsky to erase/format the disk, and then I tried pasting a file onto the drive. It didn't work on this drive either. So it appears the problem is with all drives plugged into this USB-A port.

Apparently the problem is explained in this thread:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/ ... ead%2A%2A%2A/page85

They say:
'Finally it's worth noting that there is a limitation on transferring files to the USB port over 2.5gb-3GB (the exact size is still unknown) , from SD card to CrystalSky and reverse is fine but any transfer to any storage on the USB A port has this 2.5gb-3gb limit.'

I was trying to transfer a file larger than 3GB. When I try transferring a small file it does work correctly.
This seems like a major issue to me, since the Osmo can put out large file sizes nearly up to 4GB, which are apparently not transferable over the USB port in the Crystalsky.
2018-3-30
Use props
clintonherring
lvl.1
Flight distance : 798822 ft
South Africa

Hello, I know this is an old thread. I formatted my hdd as xfat and used total commander. That manages to copy large files using the crystal sky
2019-4-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules