Hangar Autopilot with Inspire 1 Pro ...
1664 25 2018-3-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>

Anyone was using this app with Inspire 1 Pro? Any shared thoughts will be greatly appreciated ...
2018-3-30
Use props
flighttime1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 906352 ft
United States

I'm sure a quick search will give you lots of thoughts on the subject.
2018-3-31
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>

flighttime1 Posted at 2018-3-31 10:19
I'm sure a quick search will give you lots of thoughts on the subject.

Dear comrade flighttime1, as a longtime contributor to this noble forum you may know that I'm not a newbie either. I did my homework, now I would like to know what other, truly seasoned Autopilot users think. Do you have any advice in that matter, other than obvious Google it! ?
2018-3-31
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

I use it from time to time, it works well but is very complicated, I prefer litchi over an app including dji go..
2018-4-1
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>

R&L Aerial photography Posted at 2018-4-1 02:09
I use it from time to time, it works well but is very complicated, I prefer litchi over an app including dji go..

Thank you. My idea is to use it sparsely to perform panoramic photo sequences with my Inspire 1 Pro, since DJI Go app lack this feature. Autopilot seems to be very complex indeed, with way too many exotic settings. Will see how it works soon ...
2018-4-1
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2018-4-1 10:16
Thank you. My idea is to use it sparsely to perform panoramic photo sequences with my Inspire 1 Pro, since DJI Go app lack this feature. Autopilot seems to be very complex indeed, with way too many exotic settings. Will see how it works soon ...

Hi Matthew

I have used this program with my Inspire 1 and it is an excellent App. It gives you many options that others do not. It takes some time to program, but I am sure you are very capable.

But, after all of that, I have not used the App for sometime now. I have the Beta version 4.6 however, I have not used it with my Inspire 2. I have not been flying the I1..

This is a very nice tool to have in your box  (not on CS) DJI doesn't play nicely with others  

Rich
2018-4-1
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>

RichJ53 Posted at 2018-4-1 20:27
Hi Matthew

I have used this program with my Inspire 1 and it is an excellent App. It gives you many options that others do not. It takes some time to program, but I am sure you are very capable.

Thanks Rich, good to hear you again. The main issue I see with Autopilot is that you can't control all aspects of photography from within, I believe. You must launch Go app first, set everything to your liking, shut it down and launch Autopilot. All with aircraft already above target, which is awkward ...
2018-4-1
Use props
flighttime1
Second Officer
United States

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2018-3-31 19:19
Dear comrade flighttime1, as a longtime contributor to this noble forum you may know that I'm not a newbie either. I did my homework, now I would like to know what other, truly seasoned Autopilot users think. Do you have any advice in that matter, other than obvious Google it! ?

Matt... Nooooooooo... I didn't mean to google it. Basically, I'm a strong proponent of Autopilot and have responded to similar request here multiple times. But... At your request sir. It's the best thing out there if you're need to get something done without a camera man. I don't know any other way you can fly a steady 3 miles an hour to get a  hyperlapse done with multiple camera angles at sunset while repeating it multiple times, to get the best possible light. Those who say it's too complicated just haven't bothered to spend some time with it. When you go to the site and try and get a grasp on it, you'll see this stupidly long scrolling list of all the options. It's enough to turn anyone off. Forget that and click on the videos that accompany most all of the functions. I've been using it for about 2 years now and recently decided to give the panorama mode a shot. I was losing my mind trying to get it to just start shooting from where the bird was at rather than programming in a position. It's just not mentioned in the text or anywhere else I could find, until I watched the vid. The only negative is getting the EXACT camera angles you want during a complex video. It's not really that hard, once you get the hang of it but it takes quite a few flights to get there so always bring more batteries than you think you might need. If the waypoints function is your main purpose, just stop wasting time and buy it. lol
2018-4-1
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>

flighttime1 Posted at 2018-4-1 21:52
Matt... Nooooooooo... I didn't mean to google it. Basically, I'm a strong proponent of Autopilot and have responded to similar request here multiple times. But... At your request sir. It's the best thing out there if you're need to get something done without a camera man. I don't know any other way you can fly a steady 3 miles an hour to get a  hyperlapse done with multiple camera angles at sunset while repeating it multiple times, to get the best possible light. Those who say it's too complicated just haven't bothered to spend some time with it. When you go to the site and try and get a grasp on it, you'll see this stupidly long scrolling list of all the options. It's enough to turn anyone off. Forget that and click on the videos that accompany most all of the functions. I've been using it for about 2 years now and recently decided to give the panorama mode a shot. I was losing my mind trying to get it to just start shooting from where the bird was at rather than programming in a position. It's just not mentioned in the text or anywhere else I could find, until I watched the vid. The only negative is getting the EXACT camera angles you want during a complex video. It's not really that hard, once you get the hang of it but it takes quite a few flights to get there so always bring more batteries than you think you might need. If the waypoints function is your main purpose, just stop wasting time and buy it. lol

Now we're talkin', Brother flighttime1! Thank you. To me, the one and probably only reason to dive into Autopilot is panoramic photography (360x180 hi-res spheres, to be precise). I expect to achieve better than staple Phantom/Mavic/Spark results with longer lenses like 25 mm Oly, but that's my guess.

Anyway, at least one issue of Autopilot is muffling my initial enthusiasm: no access to advanced image settings like WB, style and color. Suggested way around to start DJ Go app first, set everything to your liking, close Go app and start Autopilot seems ridiculous while this should be done with aircraft hovering above target already. But indeed, the ability to precisely pre-program specific aspects of an mission and recall it for further implementation is very impressive.
2018-4-1
Use props
flighttime1
Second Officer
United States

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2018-4-1 22:45
Now we're talkin', Brother flighttime1! Thank you. To me, the one and probably only reason to dive into Autopilot is panoramic photography (360x180 hi-res spheres, to be precise). I expect to achieve better than staple Phantom/Mavic/Spark results with longer lenses like 25 mm Oly, but that's my guess.

Anyway, at least one issue of Autopilot is muffling my initial enthusiasm: no access to advanced image settings like WB, style and color. Suggested way around to start DJ Go app first, set everything to your liking, close Go app and start Autopilot seems ridiculous while this should be done with aircraft hovering above target already. But indeed, the ability to precisely pre-program specific aspects of an mission and recall it for further implementation is very impressive.

You have been misinformed. From the flight deck, or whatever they call it, you have full access to all of the camera controls.
2018-4-2
Use props
flighttime1
Second Officer
United States

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2018-4-1 22:45
Now we're talkin', Brother flighttime1! Thank you. To me, the one and probably only reason to dive into Autopilot is panoramic photography (360x180 hi-res spheres, to be precise). I expect to achieve better than staple Phantom/Mavic/Spark results with longer lenses like 25 mm Oly, but that's my guess.

Anyway, at least one issue of Autopilot is muffling my initial enthusiasm: no access to advanced image settings like WB, style and color. Suggested way around to start DJ Go app first, set everything to your liking, close Go app and start Autopilot seems ridiculous while this should be done with aircraft hovering above target already. But indeed, the ability to precisely pre-program specific aspects of an mission and recall it for further implementation is very impressive.

Additional info... All flight plans are automatically stored in the cloud so if you have multiple iPads, they are all always available until you manually delete them.
2018-4-2
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>

flighttime1 Posted at 2018-4-2 13:27
You have been misinformed. From the flight deck, or whatever they call it, you have full access to all of the camera controls.

Lost rather than misinformed lol, but found it already, thanks to swift response of techsup ...Thank you anyway.
2018-4-2
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>

flighttime1 Posted at 2018-4-2 13:30
Additional info... All flight plans are automatically stored in the cloud so if you have multiple iPads, they are all always available until you manually delete them.

That will do me not much of the good since I will need solid internet connection in the middle of nowhere, far from civilization, right?
2018-4-2
Use props
flighttime1
Second Officer
United States

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2018-4-2 15:26
That will do me not much of the good since I will need solid internet connection in the middle of nowhere, far from civilization, right?

Matt... I don't believe so. I always hotspot my phone when using it so I'm not positive but usually, that's an afterthought when the maps aren't showing. I'm sure I have never had a problem pulling up any of the flight plans. Sorry I'm a bit too busy to actually pull it out and confirm that right now. If I remember correctly you don't even need an internet connection if you plan the flight at home the night before. The maps will be saved on the iPad still. When it comes to panoramas, you'll find it's got every base covered, including bracketing exposure for the sky and complete control over the columns and rows. Basically, you refine a pano for each lens you might use and just keep reusing it. No need to do any set up at all once you're happy with it.
2018-4-2
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>

flighttime1 Posted at 2018-4-2 18:48
Matt... I don't believe so. I always hotspot my phone when using it so I'm not positive but usually, that's an afterthought when the maps aren't showing. I'm sure I have never had a problem pulling up any of the flight plans. Sorry I'm a bit too busy to actually pull it out and confirm that right now. If I remember correctly you don't even need an internet connection if you plan the flight at home the night before. The maps will be saved on the iPad still. When it comes to panoramas, you'll find it's got every base covered, including bracketing exposure for the sky and complete control over the columns and rows. Basically, you refine a pano for each lens you might use and just keep reusing it. No need to do any set up at all once you're happy with it.

Pardon my nuisance, flighttime1 (gee, I hate these nonsense nicknames) ... Yes. after a mere several hours of scratching Autopilot's surface I'm pretty sure it's truly advanced, professional application. I was able to shoot test sequence of 360x180 with default settings for P3P, purchased Kolor Giga stitching software for ouchy $200 and I'm about to dive in. Will see, definitely I'll have to experiment with different settings customized for X5 camera and various lenses.

As for re-calling saved flight plans or pano settings somewhere else in wilderness, off the cloud ... I had terrible experiences last summer when trying to fly my DJI drones far away from home and any internet provider in proximity. So I'm perhaps a bit oversuspicious in that matter, having next to no experience with cellular communication tricks, hot-spotting etc, believe or not ...
2018-4-2
Use props
flighttime1
Second Officer
United States

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2018-4-2 19:36
Pardon my nuisance, flighttime1 (gee, I hate these nonsense nicknames) ... Yes. after a mere several hours of scratching Autopilot's surface I'm pretty sure it's truly advanced, professional application. I was able to shoot test sequence of 360x180 with default settings for P3P, purchased Kolor Giga stitching software for ouchy $200 and I'm about to dive in. Will see, definitely I'll have to experiment with different settings customized for X5 camera and various lenses.

As for re-calling saved flight plans or pano settings somewhere else in wilderness, off the cloud ... I had terrible experiences last summer when trying to fly my DJI drones far away from home and any internet provider in proximity. So I'm perhaps a bit oversuspicious in that matter, having next to no experience with cellular communication tricks, hot-spotting etc, believe or not ...

I use PTGui for stitching and would say I'm more than happy with it but if you decide to switch, go for the Pro version. That makes all the difference with the masking ability.  As far as setting up a hot spot with your phone, just look at the settings and you'll see it somewhere. It needs a name and then password and then it's just like logging into any other wifi when you turn it on.
2018-4-2
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>

flighttime1 Posted at 2018-4-2 19:45
I use PTGui for stitching and would say I'm more than happy with it but if you decide to switch, go for the Pro version. That makes all the difference with the masking ability.  As far as setting up a hot spot with your phone, just look at the settings and you'll see it somewhere. It needs a name and then password and then it's just like logging into any other wifi when you turn it on.

it's just like logging into any other wifi when you turn it on...

And that's the problem ... There's usually no other wifi in 50 mile radius ...
2018-4-2
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2018-4-1 20:35
Thanks Rich, good to hear you again. The main issue I see with Autopilot is that you can't control all aspects of photography from within, I believe. You must launch Go app first, set everything to your liking, shut it down and launch Autopilot. All with aircraft already above target, which is awkward ...

Matthew
The early versions did not have the  full camera controls.    Now, you do have the camera controls in the newer version of the App.  You should give it a try, I find this to be a very useful tool to have.

I would post some screenshots but I am running the beta version 4.6 right now
All the best
Rich
2018-4-2
Use props
Geoff67
lvl.2
Flight distance : 75817 ft
United Kingdom

RichJ53 Posted at 2018-4-2 20:34
Matthew
The early versions did not have the  full camera controls.    Now, you do have the camera controls in the newer version of the App.  You should give it a try, I find this to be a very useful tool to have.

Hi Rich, just been following the thread. I’m using the Inspire Pro to do Pano and have found the camera controls all ok. As for focusing would you recommend setting focus to manual then to infinity on the DJI Go App then switch to Autopilot? I can’t find a way to set focus to auto and tap the screen in Autopilot like you can in the DJI App. I can set focus to auto or manual in Autopilot but there doesn’t seem to be a tap screen function or am I missing something?
Best regards, Geoff (UK based)
2018-5-11
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Geoff67 Posted at 2018-5-11 11:26
Hi Rich, just been following the thread. I’m using the Inspire Pro to do Pano and have found the camera controls all ok. As for focusing would you recommend setting focus to manual then to infinity on the DJI Go App then switch to Autopilot? I can’t find a way to set focus to auto and tap the screen in Autopilot like you can in the DJI App. I can set focus to auto or manual in Autopilot but there doesn’t seem to be a tap screen function or am I missing something?

Hi Geoff,

to be honest I am not sure about this right now. I have used both manual and Auto focus. I thought it worked normally in the AutoFlight App....  Sorry I am on the beta version right now and have not been flying my Inspire 2 on this platform currently. Maybe one of the other forum members could answer for me.

Rich
2018-5-11
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>

Geoff67 Posted at 2018-5-11 11:26
Hi Rich, just been following the thread. I’m using the Inspire Pro to do Pano and have found the camera controls all ok. As for focusing would you recommend setting focus to manual then to infinity on the DJI Go App then switch to Autopilot? I can’t find a way to set focus to auto and tap the screen in Autopilot like you can in the DJI App. I can set focus to auto or manual in Autopilot but there doesn’t seem to be a tap screen function or am I missing something?

Correct, there's no tap focusing feature in Autopilot! If you're using Oly 12mm lens set the focusing ring to manual and dial infinity, otherwise you must focus in DJI Go app first and switch to Autopilot.
EDIT: read below!
2018-5-12
Use props
flighttime1
Second Officer
United States

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2018-5-12 09:07
Correct, there's no tap focusing feature in Autopilot! If you're using Oly 12mm lens set the focusing ring to manual and dial infinity, otherwise you must focus in DJI Go app first and switch to Autopilot.

Matt... That's not accurate. Tap focus works just fine in Autopilot but it does require a 'long tap'.
2018-5-12
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>

flighttime1 Posted at 2018-5-12 12:33
Matt... That's not accurate. Tap focus works just fine in Autopilot but it does require a 'long tap'.

Ahhh, silly me ... how did I missed that?
Long tap? That's funny!
2018-5-12
Use props
Geoff67
lvl.2
Flight distance : 75817 ft
United Kingdom

flighttime1 Posted at 2018-5-12 12:33

Hi, thanks for that. I wouldn’t have guessed that as we are so used to taps etc actioning almost immediately... Geoff
2018-5-13
Use props
DGBarar
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Geoff67 Posted at 2018-5-13 09:51
Hi, thanks for that. I wouldn’t have guessed that as we are so used to taps etc actioning almost immediately... Geoff

Hi All,

I just purchased Autopilot version 4.6.188 and have begun working my way through the instruction manual and YouTube videos to learn the program.  Have any of you found a way for the following:

- Display a histogram
- Format the SD card

Thank you in advance.

Don Barar
2018-5-24
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>

DGBarar Posted at 2018-5-24 14:09
Hi All,

I just purchased Autopilot version 4.6.188 and have begun working my way through the instruction manual and YouTube videos to learn the program.  Have any of you found a way for the following:

In dashboard view of Autopilot, in center bottom of camera view you have access to all settings, card formatting included. However, I usually start with DJI Go app, perform all necessary check-ups and average image settings in the air and switch immediately to Autopilot using home button on iPad. Make sure Autopilot will recognize your bird (bottom left of main screen), re-start the app with home button if no connection is established.
2018-5-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules