P3 Standard Battery Iberned
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
C1tah
lvl.1

Italy

Hi, the battery in question has not been used for several months, yesterday i tried to load it but it does not work. I am attaching videos

VIDEO
2018-3-31
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Bad idea to let batteries sit around for months with no activity.  Even if no flying is possible, take the props off and use them periodically.
2018-3-31
Use props
C1tah
lvl.1

Italy

ALABAMA Posted at 2018-3-31 05:05
Bad idea to let batteries sit around for months with no activity.  Even if no flying is possible, take the props off and use them periodically.

Is there anything that can be done to fix it?
2018-3-31
Use props
sidtx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 266729 ft

I have let my batteries sit idle for a couple of months.

Supposedly, the smart battery will discharge over time as you don't use it.

To recharge,  I've read that if you leave it on the charger for a long period,  eventually it will start charging.   Try leaving it on the charger for 12-24 hours.

Sid
2018-3-31
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

I can only comment for the P3 battery - I suppose P4 etc. may do same - but here goes :

P3 batterys are designed to self discharge at reasonable rate till they hit the nominal 15.4V from any state higher. The time till they do this is set via GO. Default is 10days - but this in my honest opinion is too long. I prefer 1- 3days ... at this time I use 1 day but will be putting back to my usual 3.

OK - so the battery after approx. 2 days from its set start reaches near nominal voltage / charge state. It does not stop, but slows down its discharge so the pack can sit on the shelf for extended period.
After a month or two - the pack can be quite a bit lower in charge than nominal but still easily placed on charger and charged up for flight.
But should it remain discharging - it will get low enough that it 'switches' into Hibernation Mode. This is a protective mode that initiates around the 3.0v per cell level - which is about as low as anyone would ever want to push a LiPo ... lower than 3.0V and you are certain to damage it permanently.

What it looks like - C1tah - ... is that you have entered Hibernation Mode and button pushing / connecting to charger ... playing around as we do will not kick it into working mode. There is a specific sequence to follow :

1. Have charger ready and it will need to be a DJI charger. 3rd party chargers will not work in this mode.
2. Switch on battery - IGNORE all the lights ... DO NOT do anything else ... Put battery to one side.
3. Wait 5 minutes ... lights will likely go off and battery appear dead, DO NOT touch button at all ....
4. Connect charger.

Now its a case of waiting ... it can be 1 hour ... it can be half a day or more ............ but you LEAVE that battery connected - do not touch battery button ... just leave it  alone and hopefully eventually charger will kick battery into life. Let it charge up full.

REMEMBER - if you keep pressing that power button - above will not work. You have to sit back and let system do its job.

Hibernation mode does not harm the battery - its designed to prevent LiPo frtom going so low damage is done. But its not advised to let them drop into this. It is much better to charge up the batterys maybe once a month or so and let them self-discharge .... leave for a month or so then charge again. Basically keep them active.

Nigel
2018-4-1
Use props
C1tah
lvl.1

Italy

solentlife Posted at 2018-4-1 02:06
I can only comment for the P3 battery - I suppose P4 etc. may do same - but here goes :

P3 batterys are designed to self discharge at reasonable rate till they hit the nominal 15.4V from any state higher. The time till they do this is set via GO. Default is 10days - but this in my honest opinion is too long. I prefer 1- 3days ... at this time I use 1 day but will be putting back to my usual 3.

Ok, then, I turn on the battery by clicking twice then I wait 5 minutes and attack the original charger and wait several hours.

Thanks, C1ta.
2018-4-1
Use props
C1tah
lvl.1

Italy

solentlife Posted at 2018-4-1 02:06
I can only comment for the P3 battery - I suppose P4 etc. may do same - but here goes :

UP

Battery now
Video: LINK
2018-4-1
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

Sorry your Video link is on a site that refuses to play if Ad-Blocker enabled. Its generally better to use Youtube or Vimeo for video uploads to forums.

Question : Is your battery working now ?

Nigel
2018-4-1
Use props
C1tah
lvl.1

Italy

solentlife Posted at 2018-4-1 03:16
Sorry your Video link is on a site that refuses to play if Ad-Blocker enabled. Its generally better to use Youtube or Vimeo for video uploads to forums.

Question : Is your battery working now ?

New link for the video click

the battery still does not go

Thanks, C1ta.
2018-4-1
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

C1tah ....... some batterys recover in minutes - some take all day ...............

If you play with buttons - you have to wait before trying again. I look at the time stamp at bottom of posts and I feel you have not left the battery on charger long enough ... as I said earlier - IGNORE what the lights do ...

It is possible battery is dead ... but I would try again and leave it alone for the day ! not just the minutes that posts above indicate.
Here's the link tio Battery guide : https://www.drone-world.com/medi ... y_Guidelines_en.pdf

If you read through to Page 4 - you will see that I have expanded out the bare note about Hibernation Mode ...

Nigel
2018-4-1
Use props
C1tah
lvl.1

Italy

solentlife Posted at 2018-4-1 06:47
C1tah ....... some batterys recover in minutes - some take all day ...............

If you play with buttons - you have to wait before trying again. I look at the time stamp at bottom of posts and I feel you have not left the battery on charger long enough ... as I said earlier - IGNORE what the lights do ...

yes, I'll let it load for several days. I keep you updated
2018-4-1
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

C1tah Posted at 2018-4-1 06:50
yes, I'll let it load for several days. I keep you updated

If it doesn't recover over a day on charge after following sequence I gave - then its likely dead.
There are ways to manually kick a LiPo into life - but means opening up the case which I will not describe on this forum as DJI would not appreciate the 'safety risk aspects' of such action. And usually anyway when it gets to such action - a LiPo is unreliable.

Sorry to read.

Nigel
2018-4-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules