Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Motion timelapse behaves weird
919 21 2018-3-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Today I had some (many) tries with motion timelapses.
Sometimes it went flawlessly, but many times not so good.

What I found was:
- If I add multiple points with both vertical motion + horizontal motion it never worked.
-- The gimbal would start rotating up and it looked as if it wanted to make the shortest route to the end point via turning all the way up instead of following A => B => C etc.
-- Sometimes I got an error that I needed to reboot the Osmo Mobile, but not always
-- When it sort of 'did work', it missed the points and started to move to the next one too soon.
- If it was just horizontal motion, most of the times it worked ok.
-- Only sometimes the sequence stopped without an error.
-- I am confident I always started with the same settings 2s wait time and 30m recording.

The phone was balanced perfectly.
Motors were not too warm. (actually, they were nice and cold)
I was shooting 1080p (30fps) on my iPhone SE.

Anybody had this also, or got the motion timelapse to work with multiple points and have both horizontal AND vertical motion?

Here is an example where I set 4 locations starting left and low, moving up a bit and to the right via B, C and D.
Set.jpg

As you see, it went straight up and looked as if it was going to the end position (D) in a straight line via up. (D was not set very high, only like 25 degrees up)

Same story here, although now I used only A & B (where B was at the same place D was before)

Set2.jpg

The next one only had horizontal motion and worked.

And this was the only time it worked.
But the vertical motion was only very very little (like 2 degrees or someting. The smallest increment I could do with the joystick)

If I find the time, I will make a video of me setting up the motion timelapse. But I have to find a way to do that.

2018-3-31
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

I have tested my Osmo Mobile and it works great, may I have the APP version you are running now? Is it v3.1.30? Have you tried another mobile phone to see if the issue persists?
2018-4-1
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-4-1 22:45
I have tested my Osmo Mobile and it works great, may I have the APP version you are running now? Is it v3.1.30? Have you tried another mobile phone to see if the issue persists?

I don't have another phone here that can run DJI Go right now.
What phone did you test?
And did you also set multiple points that had both horizontal and vertical changes?
2018-4-2
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-4-2 11:21
I don't have another phone here that can run DJI Go right now.
What phone did you test?

Yes, I have an iPhone 6S and I have tried multiple points horizontally and vertically and it works fine, thanks for the info, I have escalated the issue to our engineers for more test, will come back to you later.
2018-4-2
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-4-2 20:07
Yes, I have an iPhone 6S and I have tried multiple points horizontally and vertically and it works fine, thanks for the info, I have escalated the issue to our engineers for more test, will come back to you later.

Thanks for that!
One thing I have to add is it does NOT occur when you set a short timeframe (like 1 minute or something).
I only had this when I set it at 30 minutes. (I did not try longer ones)
2018-4-2
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-4-2 22:00
Thanks for that!
One thing I have to add is it does NOT occur when you set a short timeframe (like 1 minute or something).
I only had this when I set it at 30 minutes. (I did not try longer ones)

Thanks for your update, your feedback will be forwarded, let's see the test result from our engineers.
2018-4-3
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-4-3 03:56
Thanks for your update, your feedback will be forwarded, let's see the test result from our engineers.

Thank you.

I will wait for that.
If I have time, I will try and document the whole process showing all the steps I take.
But that takes some planning and time and must be done at home where I can't be found most of the time due to work ....
2018-4-3
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-4-3 03:56

Any update yet?
2018-4-9
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Not yet, I will help to speed up the process in working hours since our engineers are off duty right now, will keep you updated as soon as possible.
2018-4-9
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-4-9 07:31
Not yet, I will help to speed up the process in working hours since our engineers are off duty right now, will keep you updated as soon as possible.

Thanks on forehand for that!
2018-4-9
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Hi Montfrooij, sorry to have kept you waiting, here is the opinion from our engineers:
Thank you for your feedback. It may be that the environment in which you are shooting has a certain influence on the Bluetooth signal. If the App is disconnected from the Bluetooth during the time-lapse photography, it may cause your situation. We will also strengthen the robustness of Bluetooth communications. Thank you again for your valuable suggestions.
2018-4-16
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-4-16 02:28
Hi Montfrooij, sorry to have kept you waiting, here is the opinion from our engineers:
Thank you for your feedback. It may be that the environment in which you are shooting has a certain influence on the Bluetooth signal. If the App is disconnected from the Bluetooth during the time-lapse photography, it may cause your situation. We will also strengthen the robustness of Bluetooth communications. Thank you again for your valuable suggestions.

Thanks for the update.
Can I verify this is happening?
(disconnecting)
Because the app itself does not give any notification and seems to be connected when I stop the sequence (when noticing it is in the wrong direction)
I can try and film the screen of the phone if there is something interesting to see that can verify this reason.
2018-4-16
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Thank you for your feedback. It may be that the environment in which you are shooting has a certain influence on the Bluetooth signal. If the App is disconnected from the Bluetooth during the time-lapse photography, it may cause your situation. We will also strengthen the robustness of Bluetooth communications. Thank you again for your valuable suggestions.

I might have found the reason.
There is an option in the app to limit the joystick motion to horizontal / vertical only.
I did have that option on. So I switched it off and gave it a go.
Not sure if that is 'it', but so far the motion timelapse seems good.
(10 minutes, I have to try longer ones)
2018-6-9
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Thank you for your feedback. It may be that the environment in which you are shooting has a certain influence on the Bluetooth signal. If the App is disconnected from the Bluetooth during the time-lapse photography, it may cause your situation. We will also strengthen the robustness of Bluetooth communications. Thank you again for your valuable suggestions.

Next test went good too
30 minutes!
2018-6-9
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-6-9 08:31
I might have found the reason.
There is an option in the app to limit the joystick motion to horizontal / vertical only.
I did have that option on. So I switched it off and gave it a go.

So clever you are, thanks for your feedback, we will forward this to our engineers for attention.
2018-6-11
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-6-11 02:07
So clever you are, thanks for your feedback, we will forward this to our engineers for attention.

Nice!

If you also want to have them add bulb ramping, or at least some way to be able to have a semi automatic exposure (without the changes being too big to cause for flickering) that would be superb!
Now I don't have a way to prevent over exposure if part of the sequence is more bright than the start.
2018-6-11
Use props
FlyingFish82
Captain
Flight distance : 3662503 ft
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-4-2 22:00
Thanks for that!
I only had this when I set it at 30 minutes. (I did not try longer ones)

i had a similar issue with long time interval and vertical movement. but this was a while back and i have not really tried again. i will test it this week and see if maybe it was an app version issue.
2018-7-5
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

FlyingFish82 Posted at 2018-7-5 11:16
i had a similar issue with long time interval and vertical movement. but this was a while back and i have not really tried again. i will test it this week and see if maybe it was an app version issue.

Did you also have the joystick set to only horizontal / vertical motion?
That appeared to be my cause.
2018-7-5
Use props
FlyingFish82
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-7-5 11:39
Did you also have the joystick set to only horizontal / vertical motion?
That appeared to be my cause.

No Montfrooij, i have the Joystick set to move in any axis.
2018-7-5
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

FlyingFish82 Posted at 2018-7-5 11:43
No Montfrooij, i have the Joystick set to move in any axis.

Ok, so another reason then (maybe it was app version after all)
2018-7-5
Use props
FlyingFish82
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-7-5 11:44
Ok, so another reason then (maybe it was app version after all)

I will do some testing with it this weekend with long interval and report back with my results
2018-7-5
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

FlyingFish82 Posted at 2018-7-5 11:49
I will do some testing with it this weekend with long interval and report back with my results

Nice          
2018-7-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules