Phantom 3 SE Range/Signal Peoblem
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SAM006
lvl.1
Flight distance : 493842 ft
United States

I bought a Phantom 3 SE back in January, and I love flying. But the one thing that I’m confused by is the fact that I’m dropping signal when my drone is literally 3 feet away from me. My feedback lags, and sometimes gets frozen on 1 frame. The aircraft then returns to home without any of my control. How can I fix this?
Thanks
-Sam
2018-3-31
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

If you are literally losing signal just 3 feet away, then you likely have a problem with your antenna or RC or both.  Possibly a problem with your drone's antenna or all of them.
Do you have or are you using anything non standard or not OEM on the drone or RC?  Are you using range extenders?  Are you pointing the antenna at the drone during takeoff and flight?
Yes to any of those might indicate what or where the problem lies...
Lastly, you may be operating in a very unfavorable place for your drone's signal communication ability.  You may be getting some severe interference from something such as radio, wifi, cellular, electromagnetic, or something else.
With these many possibilities you will need to work to eliminate them one by one.  Try moving to another location away from any possible interference.  
Other than these, you will need to try to narrow down the possibilities or send it off to DJI for analysis, not unless you know an electronics expert that can further trouble shoot things.
Good Luck
2018-3-31
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Please ensure that there is no interference around your drone. I would recommend you put your antenna in the right position. Did you try to flash the firmware of your drone and link the RC again? Thanks for your support.
2018-4-1
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Are you sure you're aiming correctly?  Know that your working antennas are actually patch antennas hidden inside towards the front of the SE controller and are pointing forwards.  Aim the front edge of your controller directly at your SE.  It's important to aim correctly.  Tilt the controller as needed to keep your controller and SE on the same plane

Controller .............................................. SE

2018-4-1
Use props
SAM006
lvl.1
United States

Genghis9 Posted at 2018-3-31 21:51
If you are literally losing signal just 3 feet away, then you likely have a problem with your antenna or RC or both.  Possibly a problem with your drone's antenna or all of them.
Do you have or are you using anything non standard or not OEM on the drone or RC?  Are you using range extenders?  Are you pointing the antenna at the drone during takeoff and flight?
Yes to any of those might indicate what or where the problem lies...

Everything is stock. I haven’t made any adjustments
2018-4-1
Use props
SAM006
lvl.1
United States

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-4-1 01:11
Please ensure that there is no interference around your drone. I would recommend you put your antenna in the right position. Did you try to flash the firmware of your drone and link the RC again? Thanks for your support.

There is none. I’m usually 50+ feet away from all power lines and other metal objects
2018-4-1
Use props
SAM006
lvl.1
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-4-1 03:30
Are you sure you're aiming correctly?  Know that your working antennas are actually patch antennas hidden inside towards the front of the SE controller and are pointing forwards.  Aim the front edge of your controller directly at your SE.  It's important to aim correctly.  Tilt the controller as needed to keep your controller and SE on the same plane

Controller .............................................. SE

I always face the antenna towards the drone when it’s in flight
2018-4-1
Use props
Siambuddhas Group
lvl.4
Flight distance : 116926 ft

Yes...it used to be this way esp after updated all the latest updates...
2018-4-1
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

SAM006 Posted at 2018-4-1 08:30
There is none. I’m usually 50+ feet away from all power lines and other metal objects

Hi, what is the firmware of your drone? Did you try to flash the firmware? Thanks for your update.
2018-4-1
Use props
SAM006
lvl.1
United States

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-4-1 22:28
Hi, what is the firmware of your drone? Did you try to flash the firmware? Thanks for your update.

It says it’s the latest, but it hasn’t had an update since the beginning of January. I’m skeptical of it
2018-4-2
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

SAM006 Posted at 2018-4-1 08:29
Everything is stock. I haven’t made any adjustments

My only thought is the RC is bad, possibly a broken antenna wire.  If it's still under warranty then it is possible that the repair will be covered.
Good Luck
2018-4-2
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

SAM006 Posted at 2018-4-1 08:31
I always face the antenna towards the drone when it’s in flight

Facing, meaning not pointing at but being perpendicular to the flight plane of the drone, yes?
2018-4-2
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Genghis9 Posted at 2018-4-2 12:32
Facing, meaning not pointing at but being perpendicular to the flight plane of the drone, yes?

The antenna, as seen on the controller, has no bearing on the connection between controller and AC.  The SE is unique that way.  See post #4
2018-4-2
Use props
SAM006
lvl.1
United States

Genghis9 Posted at 2018-4-2 12:32

The antenna is pointed in the same path at which the drone is flying
2018-4-2
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

SAM006 Posted at 2018-4-2 05:46
It says it’s the latest, but it hasn’t had an update since the beginning of January. I’m skeptical of it

Sam, in this situation, I would recommend you change an environment to fly your drone in a wide area without any interference. Please keep us updated, if the problem remains, you can contact our support and start a case: http://www.dji.com/support
2018-4-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules