1829 40 2018-4-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DroneGuyEd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1168140 ft
  • >>>
United States

Why can the DJI folks not get the software working on this thing.  It tends to lose almost all photos and videos every single time.  This makes it worthless as a photo device.

PLEASE FIX THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2018-4-1
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

What device are you using?
I have no issues on my iPhone SE with the Osmo Mobile
2018-4-1
Use props
DroneGuyEd
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I have had nothing but troubles with this device.  I had seen the problem with both an iPhone 7 and an iPhone X.  Saving pictures is such a basic things to get wrong.
2018-4-1
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi Ed, sorry for the trouble caused, but this issue has been fixed in V3.1.30, may I know what is the APP version you are running now?
2018-4-1
Use props
DroneGuyEd
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I am running the current release, which is version 3.1.28, so clearly this problem has NOT been fixed at all.  Its been around for about a year now.  Many others also report about this for the new OSMO 2 as well.

It there is a later version, then automatic update is also not working for your app.  I use that in iOS for all apps.
So I forced the update to 3.1.30, which also made zero difference.  Photos and videos are still missing.  It fixed NOTHING.

These are the kind of errors that novice programmers make...not a professional firm.  At this point I think your best option is to include a new option to have all photos and videos go directly to the camera roll and avoid using your internal databse at all, which has had problems from day one.  

DJI makes great hardware...but your software abilities seem weak on a good day.
2018-4-2
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

DroneGuyEd Posted at 2018-4-2 03:22
I am running the current release, which is version 3.1.28, so clearly this problem has NOT been fixed at all.  Its been around for about a year now.  Many others also report about this for the new OSMO 2 as well.

It there is a later version, then automatic update is also not working for your app.  I use that in iOS for all apps.

I never cared for the go app for osmo mobile, too many issues, so I invested in a selfie stick, it came with a small Bluetooth remote for snapping picture and for starting and stopping videos. Now I use the osmo with my iPhone X with no app running just the native camera app paired with that little Bluetooth remote. It is a very nice,very inexpensive solution..
2018-4-2
Use props
DroneGuyEd
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

R&L Aerial photography Posted at 2018-4-2 03:31
I never cared for the go app for osmo mobile, too many issues, so I invested in a selfie stick, it came with a small Bluetooth remote for snapping picture and for starting and stopping videos. Now I use the osmo with my iPhone X with no app running just the native camera app paired with that little Bluetooth remote. It is a very nice,very inexpensive solution..

That is an interesting approach.  I have one of those Bluetooth selfie things too and a separate remote photo button.  That may make a workable combo as they seem to have almost zero ability to fix such basic software issues
2018-4-2
Use props
DroneGuyEd
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I bought Filmic Pro today for videos and already had CameraPixel for stills.  I'm giving up on DJI Go and will just use these for now.  Each works good enough,, and saves direct to camera roll...which is what I want anyway.
2018-4-2
Use props
Terry Lau
lvl.2
Canada

I totally agree with DroneGuyEd
DJI makes excellent hardware but their software apps are out of sync
that needs big improvement
hope they can fix our issues soon.
2018-4-3
Use props
DroneGuyEd
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Terry Lau Posted at 2018-4-3 12:21
I totally agree with DroneGuyEd
DJI makes excellent hardware but their software apps are out of sync
that needs big improvement

They released a new update to DJI Go today.  Like the other recent updates,.,,it too fixes absolutely nothing.  It seems clear their ability to test releases before release is lacking at best.  They need new blood in their software area...as the current group seems clueless.
2018-4-3
Use props
DroneGuyEd
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

2018-4-8
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

DroneGuyEd Posted at 2018-4-8 03:59

Sorry for the late response, please replied to my post directly last time if you would like me to reply, then I will get the notification and reply your post in time.
It is regretful to know the issue persists, just to verify, the pictures and video are failed to be saved in Editor only right? Are they saved in 'hg300 storage' when you connect Osmo Mobile to iTunes?
2018-4-8
Use props
DroneGuyEd
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-4-8 04:48
Sorry for the late response, please replied to my post directly last time if you would like me to reply, then I will get the notification and reply your post in time.
It is regretful to know the issue persists, just to verify, the pictures and video are failed to be saved in Editor only right? Are they saved in 'hg300 storage' when you connect Osmo Mobile to iTunes?

Correct, the video and/or photos are stored in HG300 area, but many and/or most are missing from editor area.

Using iTunes can retrieve these folders, but that is not a user friendly approach and worthless when you have pics you want to share you just took.

This problem has been around for some time now with zero progress.  Its not rocket science.  Good software would check the folders automatically and reinsert any that are currently missing from the editor.  This could be done easily in seconds.

The better choice is to provide a setting to auto save all photos and videos directly to the camera roll.  Then all are right there from the start.  That is faster, and gives the user more choices for both sharing and editing.
2018-4-8
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

DroneGuyEd Posted at 2018-4-8 07:49
Correct, the video and/or photos are stored in HG300 area, but many and/or most are missing from editor area.

Using iTunes can retrieve these folders, but that is not a user friendly approach and worthless when you have pics you want to share you just took.

Do you also have this when you are connected to the device?
I have found multiple occasions where using the viewer in the Go app itself (so first connect to the device, you are in the camera mode,click on the review button)
All of the cases I did find my footage just there.
And also I found that using iTunes is much better to retrieve the footage, since the iOS camera roll is horrible when it comes to date handling PLUS it srews up the filenames.
So I never use the camera roll and only use iTunes for that.
Even Filmic Pro prefers you NOT to use the camera roll, since they have no control over what apple does with that.
(in theory Apple can decide to change footage once it is added to the camera roll).

But I agree with you that some parts of the Go app are still less optimal....
2018-4-9
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

And btw, Filmic Pro or Movie Pro (I bought both) are much better in this respect!
Except for the lack of motion timelapse + active track.....
2018-4-9
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

DroneGuyEd Posted at 2018-4-8 07:49

Thanks for your clarification, the issue has been escalated to our engineers for further analysis, sorry again for the inconvenience caused, I will come back to soon once I get any update, thanks for your patience.
2018-4-9
Use props
DroneGuyEd
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-4-9 01:13
Do you also have this when you are connected to the device?
I have found multiple occasions where using the viewer in the Go app itself (so first connect to the device, you are in the camera mode,click on the review button)
All of the cases I did find my footage just there.

Yes, it occurs for both cases where device is connected and ones where it isn't.  DJI ability to manage photos is weak on a good day...and non existent on others.
It is true that camara roll can do some odd things, but anything that ends up there...is at least there.  With OSMO, once they disappear, your are standing there with nothing to show or share.

What is really sad is that none of this is difficult in any way shape or form.  I develop apps, I do this kind of stuff all the time, and it is not difficult.  Having such a problem exist for more than one version release is a sign you need better software people...
2018-4-9
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

DroneGuyEd Posted at 2018-4-9 03:47
Yes, it occurs for both cases where device is connected and ones where it isn't.  DJI ability to manage photos is weak on a good day...and non existent on others.
It is true that camara roll can do some odd things, but anything that ends up there...is at least there.  With OSMO, once they disappear, your are standing there with nothing to show or share.

Just to be sure, with connected I mean the screen you get when you can actually record footage.
Not the 'editor' button.
(I think we are on the same page, but just to be sure)

Yes, I think it should be easy.
I believe they have a bad error handling internally and the Osmo Mobile does give some kind of error that goes unnoticed by the app which makes it skip the actual saving of the file.

One thing you can try is change the way it works with cache.
Maybe it does save in the cache folder.
I'm not 100% sure you have that on DJI Go and can't check now since I don't have the Osmo Mobile with me.
2018-4-9
Use props
DroneGuyEd
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-4-9 04:11
Just to be sure, with connected I mean the screen you get when you can actually record footage.
Not the 'editor' button.
(I think we are on the same page, but just to be sure)

I think the answer is yes.  If I do a pano, it appears right after the image taking, but then to be MIA if I use the editor later.

I tested.  For pano shots, the result appears after.  For video and photo shots, nothing appears after image capture is done.  It goes back to ready for next shot type

I also notice that with the more recent update. the pano options have changed and some of past ones are no longer there (it appears).  There is a new fisheye thing, but the optrions for normal 180 and 360 pano shots seem gone now.  The only ones I typically used were the regular 180 and sometimes the 360.  Fisheye things seem intesting for drones perhaos, but less so for a hand held device.  

2018-4-9
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

DroneGuyEd Posted at 2018-4-9 04:21
I think the answer is yes.  If I do a pano, it appears right after the image taking, but then to be MIA if I use the editor later.

I tested.  For pano shots, the result appears after.  For video and photo shots, nothing appears after image capture is done.  It goes back to ready for next shot type

That is weird.
I would suggest open a support case for that. (don't expect miracles)
It does work with me (most of the time)
(iPhone SE)

I must say I never use the pano option. The default iOS app is much better in that regard.
Just use the joystick to make for perfect straight horizontal motion.

2018-4-9
Use props
DroneGuyEd
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-4-9 04:45
That is weird.
I would suggest open a support case for that. (don't expect miracles)
It does work with me (most of the time)

I  had originally planned to get the new OSMO 2, but canceled that thought when others who had it reports the same missing photos issue there too.  It seems clear their software is just way too buggy for any reliable use...at least for me.  

Drone control and high end selfie stick are fairly different applications, and trying to cram both into the same app may have been a poor choice.
2018-4-9
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

DroneGuyEd Posted at 2018-4-9 05:13
I  had originally planned to get the new OSMO 2, but canceled that thought when others who had it reports the same missing photos issue there too.  It seems clear their software is just way too buggy for any reliable use...at least for me.  

Drone control and high end selfie stick are fairly different applications, and trying to cram both into the same app may have been a poor choice.

I must say I don't have this issues, so it does look like it is device related.
Not saying DJI should not fix it, but it might be worth starting a support case (if you have not already)
2018-4-9
Use props
DroneGuyEd
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-4-9 05:22
I must say I don't have this issues, so it does look like it is device related.
Not saying DJI should not fix it, but it might be worth starting a support case (if you have not already)

I talked to them once before, but got nowhere.
2018-4-9
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

DroneGuyEd Posted at 2018-4-9 05:42
I talked to them once before, but got nowhere.

About this issue?

(I assume it can be reproduced)
2018-4-9
Use props
DroneGuyEd
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-4-9 06:31
About this issue?

(I assume it can be reproduced)

Generally yes.  it a bit hit or miss, but happens at least 50% of the time
2018-4-9
Use props
DroneGuyEd
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

It seems that it might be pano related somehow.  I think I see more cases when it loses images when I take one or more pano photos.
2018-4-9
Use props
DroneGuyEd
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-4-9 03:45
Thanks for your clarification, the issue has been escalated to our engineers for further analysis, sorry again for the inconvenience caused, I will come back to soon once I get any update, thanks for your patience.

Since the folks there seem to have troubles with this, here is one solution approach.

At app startup, do the following:

1.        Produce list A of images from those currently shown in the Album editor area.
2.        Produce list B of images by scanning the images stored in the HG300 file folder.
3.        Compare the two lists and add any images found in B to A that are not already there.

Skip any thumbnail photos in file folders.  Mark any images in list A that has no corresponding image in the file folders area.  Reproduce any missing thumb nail images necessary to complete the Editor display.

The result should be a complete list of current stored images correctly displayed in the Editor area for down load.  Any attempt to download an image marked as incomplete, should yield an error message to the user along with downloading only the thumbnail image part.

This should at least provide a starting point, as thus far DJI folks have had zero success in any other approach.
2018-4-9
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

DroneGuyEd Posted at 2018-4-9 06:53
Generally yes.  it a bit hit or miss, but happens at least 50% of the time

I know it is not a solution, but I never liked the pano function on the osmo at all.
The default iOS app is 200% better so far.
Just use the joystick to generate perfect horizontal motion while the iOS camera app makes the pano.
Works flawlessly.
2018-4-9
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

DroneGuyEd Posted at 2018-4-9 07:47
Since the folks there seem to have troubles with this, here is one solution approach.

At app startup, do the following:

What might be a good starting point, is to record the screen while you do what you do.
That at least gets met started understanding the whole lot.
It rules out variations in vocabulary at least.
2018-4-9
Use props
DroneGuyEd
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-4-9 09:57
I know it is not a solution, but I never liked the pano function on the osmo at all.
The default iOS app is 200% better so far.
Just use the joystick to generate perfect horizontal motion while the iOS camera app makes the pano.

The reason I liked the OSMO pano is for crowd shots.  I walk into the middle of the street just before a parade starts.  I set the OSMO for 360 pano, hold it up over my head, and press the pic button.  it then auto rotates and captures a high quailty 360 image of the entire street, both directions and both sides...showing the entire crowd there.  It was very fast and error free.  The issue was when you got home...many times, the shots were MIA.
2018-4-9
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

DroneGuyEd Posted at 2018-4-9 10:15
The reason I liked the OSMO pano is for crowd shots.  I walk into the middle of the street just before a parade starts.  I set the OSMO for 360 pano, hold it up over my head, and press the pic button.  it then auto rotates and captures a high quailty 360 image of the entire street, both directions and both sides...showing the entire crowd there.  It was very fast and error free.  The issue was when you got home...many times, the shots were MIA.

Ah, ok.
I would never think of an Osmo when I wanted that.
I would opt for a decent 360 camera, because it does not have the stitching errors involved with taking multiple images in sequence.
Of course, the app should not have issues with that, but that might explain why I don't have too many lost footage and you do.
2018-4-9
Use props
DroneGuyEd
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-4-9 10:19
Ah, ok.
I would never think of an Osmo when I wanted that.
I would opt for a decent 360 camera, because it does not have the stitching errors involved with taking multiple images in sequence.

I saw few if any issues with stitching errors for pano shots.  They looked far smoother than any image from iOS pan shots.  The real issue is whether they would be there in editor later.

Pano Shot

Pano Shot
2018-4-13
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

DroneGuyEd Posted at 2018-4-13 03:57
I saw few if any issues with stitching errors for pano shots.  They looked far smoother than any image from iOS pan shots.  The real issue is whether they would be there in editor later.

Ah ok.
I never bothered with the pano, since a 360 is not possible with Osmo Mobile (it only rotates 330 degrees)
And for the 'normal' pano, I rather use the iOS version.
But then again, that is just preference right.
I fully agree with you that DJI should fix this.
2018-4-13
Use props
DroneGuyEd
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

2018-4-19
Use props
DJI iOS Team
DJI R&D Squad

Hong Kong

DroneGuyEd Posted at 2018-4-19 03:02

Hi DroneGuyEd.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

If u want to check photos in current app release, plz go to fpv and enter playback.

The photos are not automatically involved in editor.
The videos are in editor since editor can only edit videos.

We understand ur concern and will deal with this.

@@1524152274642.png
@@1524152274642.png
2018-4-19
Use props
DJI iOS Team
DJI R&D Squad

Hong Kong

DroneGuyEd Posted at 2018-4-19 03:02

Hi Ed

I checked the 3.1.31 ios App, The editor can display photo.
Plz check the attachments
album.png
2018-4-19
Use props
DroneGuyEd
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI iOS Team Posted at 2018-4-19 18:41
Hi Ed

I checked the 3.1.31 ios App, The editor can display photo.

Yes it can display the ones it manages to save.  The issue is that many are never saved in a form that causes them to show up here. Using iTunes to download the folder shows they are there, but the software misses them somehow.

This is a bug that goes back more than a year and is the kind of errors a professional firm should never make.  The one thing a photo app CANNOT FAIL at is saving the photos it takes.
2018-4-21
Use props
DJI iOS Team
DJI R&D Squad

Hong Kong

DroneGuyEd Posted at 2018-4-21 04:27
Yes it can display the ones it manages to save.  The issue is that many are never saved in a form that causes them to show up here. Using iTunes to download the folder shows they are there, but the software misses them somehow.

This is a bug that goes back more than a year and is the kind of errors a professional firm should never make.  The one thing a photo app CANNOT FAIL at is saving the photos it takes.

To be specific, in latest release ios app 3.1.31:

single shots  and pano photos are  in editor.

burst is not in editor but in fpv playback.

2018-4-23
Use props
DroneGuyEd
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Version 3.1.31 is what I have.   I tested the day it came out...and it still lost images.  This is a somewhat inconsistent situation as some are saved correctly, and others not at all.  Its the case for both regular photos, videos, and pano shots.  It can lose any of those.  I generally dont do burst photos.

On a separate note, the two most useful pano options (basic 180 and basic 360) are now gone.   i dont use the current ones at all as they take 3 -6 times the processing time compared to the earlier ones.  Whoever thought this was a good idea...was dead wrong@
2018-4-23
Use props
DJI iOS Team
DJI R&D Squad

Hong Kong

DroneGuyEd Posted at 2018-4-23 14:22
Version 3.1.31 is what I have.   I tested the day it came out...and it still lost images.  This is a somewhat inconsistent situation as some are saved correctly, and others not at all.  Its the case for both regular photos, videos, and pano shots.  It can lose any of those.  I generally dont do burst photos.

On a separate note, the two most useful pano options (basic 180 and basic 360) are now gone.   i dont use the current ones at all as they take 3 -6 times the processing time compared to the earlier ones.  Whoever thought this was a good idea...was dead wrong@

Could u plz check whether the lost videos/photos can be displayed in fpv playback?

2018-4-24
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules