Is it normal that Mavic Air ask at every flight a compass callibr...
2949 24 2018-4-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Peter Koopman
lvl.1

Netherlands

I have my Mavic Air a few weeks now. I love it, but......

Every time (after transport) the Mavic ask for compass callibration.

Is this normal ?

Thanks for the help!

Peter
2018-4-1
Use props
KREMi
lvl.4
  • >>>
Poland

would say it depends how rough is travel ;) and how far between points it travels. ussualy when I do travel short distances (few km) - it won't call for a calibration. but always it's good to check in sensor tab before start You all green IMU/compass or not
2018-4-1
Use props
Marsofearth
lvl.2
Flight distance : 89829 ft
Canada

I thought it was normal. But I am new to DJI drones. I usually have to recalibrate the compass a couple times after every flight when I replace the battery. Interesting that KREMi does not have to do this every time. I wonder what is normal.
2018-4-1
Use props
Marsofearth
lvl.2
Canada

C#d”
?.
2018-4-1
Use props
Yordan
lvl.3
Flight distance : 903783 ft
Bulgaria

it is normal to ask for more than 100 km
2018-4-1
Use props
ghostrdr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1272723 ft
United States

I've had my Mavic for a year and have only calibrated once. Be sure you're not mistaking the calibrate button on the status page as a warning to calibrate the compass.
2018-4-1
Use props
Marsofearth
lvl.2
Canada

ghostrdr Posted at 2018-4-1 11:16
I've had my Mavic for a year and have only calibrated once. Be sure you're not mistaking the calibrate button on the status page as a warning to calibrate the compass.

Oh is there a way to fly without calibration?  A message pops up every time after I pop in a new battery that I need to calibrate my compass. I have not found a way to dismiss the message except to calibrate a couple times.
If not then this would be abnormal?
2018-4-1
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

I own several DJI quads, and the Mavic Air asks for more compass calibrations then all of them combined.  It has since day one.  I assumed it was just DJI covering their respective butts.
2018-4-1
Use props
aim16V
lvl.2
Flight distance : 438852 ft
United States

Oracle Miata Posted at 2018-4-1 11:42
I own several DJI quads, and the Mavic Air asks for more compass calibrations then all of them combined.  It has since day one.  I assumed it was just DJI covering their respective butts.

To be honest with you mine did not do that i mean since i got it i did the IMU and Compass calibration and thats it BUT since the last update im having the same issue like you every time i turn it on to fly it ask me for Compass Calibration no matter where i want to fly EVERYWHERE  ask for it before the last FW never asked now it do very frustrating and guess what i do it every time just to be in the safe side,,, loooool
2018-4-1
Use props
Ottotto
lvl.2
Flight distance : 156811 ft

Seems every time I change diapers for the Mavic Air a compass calibration is required.  I suspect swapping batteries in the bed of a pick-up truck has something to do with it. Where do you energize / de-energize  your Air?  
2018-4-1
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Hi there, I'm sorry to hear about the issue that you are experiencing. Normally, the calibration request happens when there is a magnetic interference around the drone, so you are recommended to start the drone in an open area where the GPS is good and no magnetic interference, at the same time, please keep the drone in stationary status. Thanks!  
2018-4-1
Use props
Peter Koopman
lvl.1

Netherlands

DJI Diana Posted at 2018-4-1 19:39
Hi there, I'm sorry to hear about the issue that you are experiencing. Normally, the calibration request happens when there is a magnetic interference around the drone, so you are recommended to start the drone in an open area where the GPS is good and no magnetic interference, at the same time, please keep the drone in stationary status. Thanks!

Thanks all.

I fly the magic air @ the beach. So no interference (metal objects etc).
I Keep the Mavic stored in a plastic container.

2018-4-2
Use props
wjkrysak
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2957598 ft
  • >>>

I frequently travel distance of greater than 50 miles for family visits, always receive need for compass calibration when visiting. Calibration remains stable while at new location. It has just become a step in my preflight. Also learned that calibration with hand wearing my smart watch is problematic. I just switch to my other hand and do the calibration dance, and off we go. Enjoy your flying.
2018-4-2
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

I just have to add that my calibration always stays stable once completed as well.  I've also never had a calibration fail.  It's just that this drone requires them far more frequently.
2018-4-2
Use props
Kevjones1959
lvl.4
Flight distance : 61932 ft

South Africa

I did read a thread today where it says once you have calibrated the compass you should power off and on again. Try that.
2018-4-2
Use props
fans1b839f0c
lvl.2
New Zealand

Peter Koopman Posted at 2018-4-2 00:57
Thanks all.

I fly the magic air @ the beach. So no interference (metal objects etc).

Have you ever had any issues with sand in the gimbal and motors?
2018-4-2
Use props
Peter Koopman
lvl.1

Netherlands

fans1b839f0c Posted at 2018-4-2 09:32
Have you ever had any issues with sand in the gimbal and motors?

No never. Just look for a suitable place to start/land (karton box, table etc). I never start/land direct from the sand.
2018-4-2
Use props
Peter Koopman
lvl.1

Netherlands

Kevjones1959 Posted at 2018-4-2 08:55
I did read a thread today where it says once you have calibrated the compass you should power off and on again. Try that.

Thanks. I will try this weekend!
2018-4-2
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

That would only be normal if the compass is in an area with high interference such as near metal objects or even an Apple watch.
2018-4-2
Use props
darrc
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5558 ft
Singapore

Interesting that even smartwatches can cause the interference. Good info to know.
2018-4-2
Use props
SnBike
lvl.4
Italy

If you use the OTG cable, remember to disable the wifi signal on your phone
2018-4-2
Use props
Kevjones1959
lvl.4
Flight distance : 61932 ft

South Africa

SnBike Posted at 2018-4-2 23:18
If you use the OTG cable, remember to disable the wifi signal on your phone

What about when you are using the USB port between the sticks on the controller ???
2018-4-3
Use props
SnBike
lvl.4
Italy

Kevjones1959 Posted at 2018-4-3 05:38
What about when you are using the USB port between the sticks on the controller ???

The cable connects the telephone port with the left side port of the controller
2018-4-3
Use props
mercurius11
lvl.1

Netherlands

Kevjones1959 Posted at 2018-4-2 08:55
I did read a thread today where it says once you have calibrated the compass you should power off and on again. Try that.

I tried your advise, and.............It worked!

Thanks!

2018-4-8
Use props
nywrecker
lvl.4
Flight distance : 832421 ft
United States

My Air asks me to calibrate the compass every time I power it even when I am flying in the same exact locations. A real pain in the butt. To make things worse, it sometimes takes 2-3 tries until the calibration is complete.
2018-4-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules