Litchi Waypoint accuracy ??
2332 12 2018-4-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Kevin_kss
lvl.2
Flight distance : 236440 ft
United States

so I tried doing some DJI waypoint missions, but I dont like the way they save the missions or lack therof.. so I got
Litchi.. I like that can save the mission and find it and reply real easy. BUT.. I have a very tight mission I'm
doing flying a creek bed. So two times I have put in the mission and got through, but when I go to play
the mission its always off to teh right and I have to stop it. First time it tried to start the mission 3 feet over
from where I started the first waypoint. The second time in the middle it was heading twards a tree and
stopped because it had the collision warning.

So how accurate are the waypoints ? I would assume maybe a couple of inches off but not feet ? or am
I being too greedy ??

they really accurate to like 5 feet or something ? or am I doing something wrong in puttin in the mission ?
I have the arch set low because I dont want it doing massive sweeps to get from point 1 to 2... but
most of my waypoints are only forward and like 2-3 feed lateral moves.. so cant even blame
it on the arch setting...

any ideas on this ?

2018-4-1
Use props
warloc59
lvl.3
Flight distance : 209160 ft
  • >>>

I don’t think it was meant to fly missions in such narrow corridors.  I mean your talking just a few feet.  Your expecting too much from it.  
2018-4-1
Use props
Kevin_kss
lvl.2
United States

warloc59 Posted at 2018-4-1 08:44
I don’t think it was meant to fly missions in such narrow corridors.  I mean your talking just a few feet.  Your expecting too much from it.

I mostly have 6 feet from side to side for room.. but there are some tight spots indeed. I just assumed
it would be way accurate since its using GPS.
2018-4-1
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Kevin_kss Posted at 2018-4-1 08:46
I mostly have 6 feet from side to side for room.. but there are some tight spots indeed. I just assumed
it would be way accurate since its using GPS.

The hover accuracy as given in the spec' for the P4P might give a rough idea of what to expect, in short, not very accurate using GPS only :-

Hover Accuracy Range
Vertical:
±0.1 m (with Vision Positioning)
±0.5 m (with GPS Positioning)
Horizontal:
±0.3 m (with Vision Positioning)
±1.5 m (with GPS Positioning)
2018-4-1
Use props
Anokadrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 58327 ft

warloc59 Posted at 2018-4-1 08:44

Not having used LItchi yet, I am assuming that is uses GPS for positioning and navigation.  If thats the case, then +/- 1 meter would be the best you could count on.  Definitely not inches.  
2018-4-1
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

The question is - how good is your satellite fix going to be along the low elevation and route of your proposed flight?  Creeks are generally in low lands which implies a potential elevation mask problem - and creeks usually have trees along them which are also likely going to muck with your satellite view.  Sounds like a risky mission unless the creek is really wide or you wanted to fly up above the trees.  Good luck.
2018-4-1
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

So how accurate are the waypoints ? I would assume maybe a couple of inches off but not feet ? or am
I being too greedy ??

they really accurate to like 5 feet or something ?

Assuming can get you into trouble.
It's much smarter to search for facts and work with correct information.
Consumer GPS is not pinpoint accurate and you'll be surprised to find that it's accuracy is variable.
Most of the time a position fix will be within 2 metres but sometimes the error can be more.
Never depend on GPS getting you through tight situations.
Anything closer than 10 metres is taking a risk and a bigger safety margin is preferable.
2018-4-1
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>

To execute an mission like this you'll probably need more sophisticated GPS positioning system, like RTK some DJI industrial/enterprise drones are equipped with. These will deliver a centimeters accuracy, at least in assumption, to perform precise flight route. Big $$$ ...
2018-4-1
Use props
Kevin_kss
lvl.2
United States

So since Im outside.. is there a way on the 4 pro to turn off GPS and see if the VPS works better ? or do you have to fly the mission that way to begin with
and then run it ?
2018-4-2
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Kevin_kss Posted at 2018-4-2 05:15
So since Im outside.. is there a way on the 4 pro to turn off GPS and see if the VPS works better ? or do you have to fly the mission that way to begin with
and then run it ?

Neither is going to help you.
You can't fly waypoints without GPS using VPS and you would still need GPS for your other idea.
Consumer GPS as used in the Phantom just doesn't have the accuracy you require.
Forget the idea of a tight waypoint flight, it's just asking for trouble.
2018-4-2
Use props
Kevin_kss
lvl.2
United States

Labroides Posted at 2018-4-2 05:52
Neither is going to help you.
You can't fly waypoints without GPS using VPS and you would still need GPS for your other idea.
Consumer GPS as used in the Phantom just doesn't have the accuracy you require.

trouble video looks better than, tree top video... he he ha ha...
2018-4-2
Use props
Anokadrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 58327 ft

United States

Kevin_kss Posted at 2018-4-2 06:07
trouble video looks better than, tree top video... he he ha ha...

Does you drone have pontoons?  
2018-4-2
Use props
Kevin_kss
lvl.2
United States

Anokadrone Posted at 2018-4-2 06:35
Does you drone have pontoons?

I should get them... I plan on walking right behind it to grab it in emergency
2018-4-2
Use props