Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Gear VR + Spark working.
28462 21 2018-4-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sharp
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3571634 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Hi all.
For those if you who have the Samsung Gear VR headset and a compatible phone, did you know you can fly your Spark in VR ?

Here's how to do the initial setup.
1: Insert your phone into your Gear VR and download Samsung PhoneCast from the store. It's free.
2: Launch the App and select “Go to Labs” from the menu.
3: Accept the terms and conditions.
4: Exit out and remove your phone from your Gear VR.

The reason for the steps above is just to get the initial setup working as it requires internet access.

Time to fly now.

1: Power up your Spark.
2: Power up your controller.
3: Connect your phone to your Sparks Wifi.
4: Insert your phone into the Gear VR headset.
5: Load Samsung PhoneCase.
6: Select “Go to Labs”
7: Select DJI Go 4 from the menu displayed in VR.
8: Fly Baby.....

You can use the Touch Controller, or the touch pad on the side of your Gear VR to access anything you want from the DJI Go 4 App in VR.
2018-4-1
Use props
spookster
lvl.4
Flight distance : 419649 ft

That sounds like a better and cheaper solution than with DJI Goggles, if you own the right phone.
2018-4-1
Use props
Christian929
lvl.1
Denmark

Confirmed working with ryze tello too!
2018-4-23
Use props
djiuser_f9GRHodMnENW
lvl.1
Flight distance : 869 ft
United States

Thanks for the tip. I have the Samsung VR and need to try this.
2018-5-1
Use props
Doug Morrison
lvl.1

United States

Galaxy S8 and S9 only.  First compelling reason to upgrade my S7e....thanks for the info!

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/gear-vr/1239896026125279/
2018-5-2
Use props
DrSchwammelstam
lvl.4
Flight distance : 69429 ft
Sweden

Yay! Bought the 2nd generation vr for approx 20 usd (super sale in Sweden!) a few days ago just to play with and this was really a pleasant surprise. I have the S8 and it appear to be working well indoors at least. Will have to do some further testing this weekend!
2018-5-2
Use props
H1NDENBURG
lvl.1
Flight distance : 37562 ft
United States

Super excited about hearing this.  I just bought a spark a few weeks ago, and I have a gear VR in my closet that hasn't seen use in a year, and a Galaxy Note 8. Tried it out immediately, and although it worked, I have some questions.  The DJI go app shows up in a window in Samsung phonecast.  Is there a way to make the whole experience...more immersive?  I've never used the actual DJI goggles, but I imagine the drone view completely fills your field of vision?  Is there a way to achieve this with the gear VR/phonecast method?  I found where you can increase the size of the DJI go app window, but this has it's limits.
2018-5-22
Use props
ih8unot
lvl.2
Flight distance : 654898 ft
United States

I get no signal following the above instructions =(
2018-5-23
Use props
H1NDENBURG
lvl.1
United States

I don't know why you would get no signal, as this is essentially not doing anything different connection-wise than running the app without the VR headset.  The only thing that Samsung phonecast is doing is converting the video into a VR format.
2018-5-23
Use props
ih8unot
lvl.2
Flight distance : 654898 ft
United States

I'll try again when I get home tonight
2018-5-23
Use props
H1NDENBURG
lvl.1
United States

Another question that came up, is there no way to allow the phone gyroscope to control the angle of the gimbal when using the remote control?  In other words, no way for the angle you tilt your head to control the angle of the gimbal?  This would be convenient, but from what I've read, this option is only available when controlling the drone driectpy from your phone, sans remote.
2018-5-23
Use props
Sharp
lvl.3
  • >>>
Ireland

H1NDENBURG Posted at 2018-5-23 11:11
Another question that came up, is there no way to allow the phone gyroscope to control the angle of the gimbal when using the remote control?  In other words, no way for the angle you tilt your head to control the angle of the gimbal?  This would be convenient, but from what I've read, this option is only available when controlling the drone driectpy from your phone, sans remote.

Not that I’m aware of.
Shame DJI don’t offer a SDK for Unity. If they did, native VR apps could be written for DJI drones.
2018-5-27
Use props
morrisdl
New
Flight distance : 64524 ft
United States

I got this working and it is disappointing that the phone gyro doesn't control yaw and camera tilt.  The gear 360 view is also just the DJI app window in a static position, so if you turn your head you lose visability to the app.  I also had difficulty keeping connectivity between the phone and controller, especially when using the gear remote to select DJI app features like active track.   Once conection was lost, it would not reconnect and the drone would auto return-to-home.  Controller still worked, but just fly by visual.   Guess I need the DJI goggles...
2018-10-22
Use props
haubrich
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1099268 ft
United States

Christian929 Posted at 4-23 07:14
Confirmed working with ryze tello too!

I assume that to use Gear VR with Tello you also have to be using a bluetooth controller. Is that correct?

If so, which controller are you using?

It would be amazing if the Gear VR controller could be used to fly the aircraft.
2018-12-12
Use props
darkfull1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13114 ft
Switzerland

I hope I can  make that work with a S7. It would be nice to have the camera move with your head movement.
2018-12-31
Use props
ViPatrik
lvl.3
Sweden

I think with the Litchi app you can use any other VR headset with head movement too (check on youtube). I did´nt try that yet, but I´m really curious too.
2019-1-9
Use props
Lysak2003
Second Officer
Flight distance : 500052 ft
Ukraine

darkfull1 Posted at 2018-12-31 16:47
I hope I can  make that work with a S7. It would be nice to have the camera move with your head movement.
as we've heard there, it doesn't work that way. If you move your head in any directions picture on the screen has just left behind your sight.
2019-1-9
Use props
darkfull1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13114 ft
Switzerland

Lysak2003 Posted at 1-9 21:41
us we've heard there, it doesn't work that way. If you move your head in any directions picture on the screen has just left behind your sight.

Ok I see it just display the video. Maybe there is a way to make the gimbal move with the head movement.
2019-1-10
Use props
Sharp
lvl.3
  • >>>
Ireland

Update....
I found a way to use Oculus Go . There's a lot to getting this working right now, but it could be greatly simplified and improve with a dedicated app in the future that's native to Oculus Go (OVR SDK) and companion Android / iOS app written with something like Unity.

So here goes. For those who like to experiment, the following instructions are for Android users. That being said, I've also tested a way to get this working in iOS also.

Download the following two apps.
Amaze File Manager (get it on GitHub) and ApowerMirror (get it on ApkPure)

Install ApowerMirror on the Android Phone or Table you use with your Drone. If your not using a phone or tablet and you have the DJI smart controller, then install the App your smart controller.

Connect the Oculus Go to your computer and copy the APK for ApowerMirror to the Downloads folder.

Sideload Amaze File Manager to your Oculus Go using Android ADB.

Go to Oculus TV and launch Amaze File Manager. Locate the ApowerMirror APK in your Downloads folder and click on it. Amaze File Manager will give you an option to directly install the App without the need to use Android ADB to sideload.

Next, set your Phone / Tablet to act as a hotspot and connect your Oculus Go to it's Wifi Connection.

Launch ApowerMirror on your Phone / Tablet.

Launch Oculus TV on your go, and load up Amaze File Manager. From the Apps menu in Amaze File Manager find and launch ApowerMirror from the list of installed apps.

With ApowerMirror running on your phone, your Phone / Tablet, press the icon in the app to get ApowerMirror to cast your phone/tablet.

On Oculus Go, run a scan in ApowerMirror for that connection your phone is transmitting. Once you see it, select it and Oculus TV will now display everything that's on your Phone's screen.

You can now launch DJI Go on your phone and connect up your drone to fly.

That's pretty much it. Your good to go.

Regards
James
2019-3-30
Use props
djiuser_P4wHIViE9ZWi
New

Dominican Republic

Is the same possible with the Phantom 4 Pro Obsidian via USB C connection from the Gear VR to the controller or is the connection only possible through WiFi?  If anyone can test it and get back to me with the result, I'll be very grateful.  Thx!
2019-4-8
Use props
brad
New

United States

i tried this with my dji spark - Samsung 7s edge and the gear VR headset. and id cant find the Samsung phonecase
2020-10-28
Use props
flatiousa
New

Romania

brad@bluebrad.com Posted at 2020-10-28 15:58
i tried this with my dji spark - Samsung 7s edge and the gear VR headset. and id cant find the Samsung phonecase

Cavu is free with a limited flight time unless purchased. You can totally set up the screens in the goggles for the perfect display of telemetry. Works ...In this guide, we have comprised a list of all of the most impressive VR headsets, specifically for Android users.

2021-3-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules