SD card Size
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DaveW
lvl.2
Flight distance : 110994 ft

Hi All,

Enjoying my P3SE immensely (why is there no sub forum for the SE, all other models have their own sub forum!?) and was wondering does anyone have anye xperience of using micro SD cards larger than 64GB?  If so, what manufacturers worked well for you?

Cheers

Dave

2018-4-2
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

You can use big cards but if you value your work, it's not a good idea to have so many eggs in the same basket.
2018-4-2
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Just discussing ...

Average flight HD video is about 4 - 5GB in total, split into its 4Gb segments of course.

That gives nearly 2 flights at full whack on the stock 8GB card.

I use a 64Gb card in my P3P and rarely use more than 10Gb of it. Each time back at desk - I cut the vids from the card ready for next session. So in fact a 64Gb card for me is overkill and I suspect possibly for many other users.

The 32Gb card I did use before was moved across to another device as that rarely records bigger than 2 - 3Gb anyway.

As to why no SE listing ? I think that's because the SE has more in common with Standard / 4K Phantom than any other version.

Nigel
2018-4-2
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hey Dave, the maximum SD card that P3 SE supports is 64GB. I'm afraid that the performance cannot be ensured if it is larger than 64GB.
2018-4-2
Use props
DEUCEDOG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2501575 ft

I agree with Nigel , i use 64Gb sandisc extreme it gives me 2 hours ish filming at 4k with a bit of leftover space  . The problem i had with smaller cards (16Gb )  i would fly for 1 1/2 hrs and forget to change it and then  in mid air get that Sd card full warning  ...Doh !!
As Labroides pointed out smaller cards is a better way to safe guard your work so 32-64Gb is good
2018-4-2
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

DEUCEDOG Posted at 2018-4-2 02:30
I agree with Nigel , i use 64Gb sandisc extreme it gives me 2 hours ish filming at 4k with a bit of leftover space  . The problem i had with smaller cards (16Gb )  i would fly for 1 1/2 hrs and forget to change it and then  in mid air get that Sd card full warning  ...Doh !!
As Labroides pointed out smaller cards is a better way to safe guard your work so 32-64Gb is good

And if you value your work, 16GB is better since you can't fill a 16GB card in one flight.
I know the potential $$ value of my photos (it's significant) and there's no way I'm sending precious images out again where I fly.
I always change cards when I change the battery.
2018-4-2
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

Unlike L .. I'm a Hobbyist only and my videos / photos I don't think would keep me in beer money let alone worth much. As I say - I went for a 64Gb card ... when in all honesty - it was and I don't think will ever be needed.

I have 3 batterys ... and field charge capability. I have only ever used 4 batterys in one outing. That makes 4 x 5Gb (if we round up the recording size) based on 4 flights of 17 - 18mins. So my max ever recorded was 20Gb ....
I could have saved quite a bit on card price by just taking a 32Gb and still have spare.

Nigel
2018-4-2
Use props
DEUCEDOG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2501575 ft

Labroides Posted at 2018-4-2 02:50
And if you value your work, 16GB is better since you can't fill a 16GB card in one flight.
I know the potential $$ value of my photos (it's significant) and there's no way I'm sending precious images out again where I fly.

Good point
2018-4-2
Use props
DaveW
lvl.2
Flight distance : 110994 ft

All good advice cheers Guys and I have instead of getting a 128GB card purchased an extra 64GB card so that I can rotate cards.
2018-4-2
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

DaveW Posted at 2018-4-2 06:54
All good advice cheers Guys and I have instead of getting a 128GB card purchased an extra 64GB card so that I can rotate cards.

Good decision .... a point about larger cards ... from my own observations - odd devices will run a higher card of say one step up than spec'd ..... but many will be very sensitive to max size cards ...

Nigel
2018-4-2
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I work on the basis of one Sandisk extreme pro 32gb U3 per two full flights.
2018-4-2
Use props
Johnnygreaser
New

United States

I would recommend having several 64GB cards on hand. This allows for you to easily swap them out if you are full, but you also do not have to  worry about ALL of your footage getting lost or corrupted at once.
2018-4-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules