Testing Mavic Air Active Track - air to air
1237 17 2018-4-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Hyggen Aviator
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1055610 ft

Just a short test of the Mavic Air's Active Track function - attempting to track another drone... Considering the tracking function was probably never designed with this in mind, the results weren't too bad I believe :-)

The target was a DJI F550 Flamewheel hexacopter, which were flown at level altitude and at fairly low speed. Starting out with the Mavic Air slightly above the target, made the F550 stand out clearly towards the frozen fjord as background. But since I guess the Air's primary sensor for tracking an object is the camera, it is understandable that it has trouble seeing this small target with a cluttered background.

Edit:

Warning - After having seen the video posted below, I will not try this again! As demonstrated in that video, it may result in a midair, destroying both drones!

2018-4-2
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 666483 ft
Netherlands

Wow, those are pretty good results. I wouldn't try because Your Mileage May Vary...

Here is a video of another Mavic Air while trying to Active Track an Inspire. It lost track and when reselecting the target this happend:

Both craft crashed to the ground...

2018-4-2
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

Great video and test, thank you! But the different result posted here above is a great pity.
2018-4-2
Use props
Hyggen Aviator
lvl.3

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-4-2 04:48
Wow, those are pretty good results. I wouldn't try because Your Mileage May Vary...

Here is a video of another Mavic Air while trying to Active Track an Inspire. It lost track and when reselecting the target this happend:

Oh no - that's an expensive mishap! I'm not sure if I would have carried out my test if I had seen this first...
2018-4-2
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 666483 ft
Netherlands

Hyggen Aviator Posted at 2018-4-2 05:12
Oh no - that's an expensive mishap! I'm not sure if I would have carried out my test if I had seen this first...

I can imagine. I think you did take good precautions starting from above and letting the target stand out from the background scenery. If you like to read more about the kamikaze incident, it's being discussed here https://mavicpilots.com/threads/ ... rack-subject.37945/
2018-4-2
Use props
PedalingDuo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 31896 ft
United States

I tried to track another drone and it just would not work.  Your video was done with a very high contrast, blank  background and I am sure that helped a lot.  My attempt was on a neighborhood street with houses and leafless trees.  The only way I could get it to lock on for a second was if I had the target drone with clear sky behind it.    As soon as the target drone flew with a tree or a house in the background it lost lock.

Thanks for the video.
2018-4-2
Use props
Hyggen Aviator
lvl.3

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-4-2 05:20
I can imagine. I think you did take good precautions starting from above and letting the target stand out from the background scenery. If you like to read more about the kamikaze incident, it's being discussed here https://mavicpilots.com/threads/ma-flew-itself-into-active-track-subject.37945/

Thanks for posting this - at least it serves as a warning against trying this air-to-air tracking! I have now added a warning in my original post.
2018-4-2
Use props
MWitarsa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2058179 ft
Brazil

OMG.... what a "expensive" test!
2018-4-2
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ooof, that's gotta hurt the ego...
2018-4-2
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nice video
2018-4-2
Use props
OldFaflyers
lvl.3
Flight distance : 26555 ft
Australia

Only works if subject stays on the screen and not moving too fast. It will not work if you try to follow a reasonable speed speed glider.
2018-4-2
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Thank you for your sharing. Take good care of your drone and happy flying.
2018-4-2
Use props
Gelert
First Officer
Flight distance : 2063238 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ouch
2018-4-3
Use props
Ryan Olivas
lvl.4

United States

Nice video. Does the mavic has some type of tracking device attachment to it?
2018-4-12
Use props
dji TO88
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4678 ft

Ouch! hope it didn't do a lot of damages.
2018-4-12
Use props
Hyggen Aviator
lvl.3

Ryan Olivas Posted at 2018-4-12 18:54
Nice video. Does the mavic has some type of tracking device attachment to it?

Thanks. No, it only uses the camera. In other words, the object beeing followed doesn't need to carry any cell phone or other device.
2018-4-16
Use props
Lstumpf3
lvl.2

Canada

Hyggen Aviator Posted at 2018-4-16 13:05
Thanks. No, it only uses the camera. In other words, the object beeing followed doesn't need to carry any cell phone or other device.

would be worse though if you lose sight of your drone
2018-4-16
Use props
Ryan Olivas
lvl.4

United States

Hyggen Aviator Posted at 2018-4-16 13:05
Thanks. No, it only uses the camera. In other words, the object beeing followed doesn't need to carry any cell phone or other device.

Noted. Thanks for the info
2018-4-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules