New Mavic Air owner
682 6 2018-4-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dont slow down
lvl.4
Flight distance : 574977 ft
United States

I recently added a Mavic Air to my collection. I also have a Phantom 3A that I have been flying for almost 1.5 years. I was debating the Mavic Pro however I am very happy with the capability of my 3A and results and wanted something more portable so I chose the Air.

I have not yet flown the Air or even powered it on, I'm still waiting for some of my accessories to come in the mail as well as add it to my insurance policy. I am noticing a much more simple RC and am wondering if I made a wrong choice. I have grown accustomed to the features of the 3A such as the extra programmable buttons, mode switch (ATTI, GPS), and the wheel to quickly adjust the picture exposure. I have read great things about the Air but I'm now second guessing my choice. I already find the phone holder thing on the RC annoying since I use my ipad mini to fly (again accustomed to the larger screen now) and had to buy an extra mount for it.

I guess I'm looking for comments from Phantom pilots that have also flown the Air. I realize I may be comparing an apple to an orange. I know the Air has many additional features and modes the 3A does not which I'm hoping will satisfy me.
2018-4-2
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Congratulations on a nice purchase!
2018-4-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

You might be comparing apples to oranges, but you will find that MavAir is a far superior drone and Camera to what you had with phantom 3A, yes it doesn’t have focus wheel on RC camera is focused 1 metre to infinity so you should have a problem with that.
Regarding iPad you can just buy a simple mount that will fit iPad mini or pro which will stack up just as good and a comfortable as your phantom RC,
Only need for Atti mode is really to practice flying in Atti mode and you already have this on your phantom, with MavAir if you lose gps it will automatically go to Atti mode just as it does on your phantom so no need for switching to Atti mode because if you do then you will never know if you have recovered gps, with automatic system it will automatically go back to gps when signal is resumed.

I wouldn’t be getting buyers remorse until you see this craft flying and what it can produce photography wise.
2018-4-2
Use props
Mikem691
Second Officer
Flight distance : 247474 ft

Just want to add that the IPad mini does fit in the controller. I show it here.
2018-4-2
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Congrats on getting the MA - have fun
2018-4-2
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

Congratulations for your new copter that you probably will not regret to have bought!
2018-4-2
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Hi there, thank you so much for your support to DJI products. As far as I'm concerned, the Mavic air is worth to purchase, it's really portable.
2018-4-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules