Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Pro back to DJI for repair 3 times! still not fixed!
660349 660349 2018-4-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TexasAerials
lvl.4
Flight distance : 566952 ft

Well, my Mavic Pro is heading to DJI for repair tomorrow after I was finally able to figure out the cause of my twitchy yaw.  It seems that there is some glitch in either the controller or the drone/gimbal when the aircraft is panning/yawing at the same time as the gimbal tilt wheel is being used.  it seems that the command to "stop" the gimbal tilting when the wheel is centered on the controller causes and interruption in the yaw stick signal, and the mavic momentarily stops in a twich.  the resulting footage is not pretty, as you can see in the video below.  The stutters are happening when the wheel is centered, even though the camera is still moving due to the gimbal smoothing function.  

Adding the later video to this post to more clearly show the issue.  

2018-4-2
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Hi, I'm sorry to hear about the issue, if you encounter any difficulties during the repair progress, feel free to contact us with your case number, we'll be here for help.
2018-4-2
Use props
TexasAerials
lvl.4

DJI Diana Posted at 2018-4-2 22:17
Hi, I'm sorry to hear about the issue, if you encounter any difficulties during the repair progress, feel free to contact us with your case number, we'll be here for help.

Will do, I am curious if anyone else has had a similar issue. Seems strange that it only has the issue with the phone plugged into the remote, it doesn’t seem to do it when the phone is not connected.
2018-4-3
Use props
TexasAerials
lvl.4

DJI Diana Posted at 2018-4-2 22:17

I received notification today that DJI is claiming that this is not caused by a defect, and wants to replace the gimbal arm and middle frame module on the Mavic.  I have spoken with customer service about it and submitted an invoice dispute, as it seems obvious that the technitian did not test fly or even view the video link that I included in my repair request.  

perhaps you could assist from your side on this as I have not crashed the drone and believe this should be covered under warranty.  
2018-4-9
Use props
TexasAerials
lvl.4
United States

Has anyone else seen issues like this before? I'm not sure how a software/hardware issue such as this would not be covered by warranty.  
2018-4-9
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

TexasAerials Posted at 2018-4-9 09:11
I received notification today that DJI is claiming that this is not caused by a defect, and wants to replace the gimbal arm and middle frame module on the Mavic.  I have spoken with customer service about it and submitted an invoice dispute, as it seems obvious that the technitian did not test fly or even view the video link that I included in my repair request.  

perhaps you could assist from your side on this as I have not crashed the drone and believe this should be covered under warranty.

Hi, sorry for the inconvenience, your drone and the video were checked by the support team, it seems there was something impacted the drone/gimbal camera. I do understand how you feel, however, in order to provide the further help, I'd like to confirm again that did your drone crash or not? Or any hard landing? Thank you in advance!
2018-4-10
Use props
TexasAerials
lvl.4
United States

DJI Diana Posted at 2018-4-10 03:08
Hi, sorry for the inconvenience, your drone and the video were checked by the support team, it seems there was something impacted the drone/gimbal camera. I do understand how you feel, however, in order to provide the further help, I'd like to confirm again that did your drone crash or not? Or any hard landing? Thank you in advance!

Diana, thanks for responding, no I have not crashed or had any hard landings with the Mavic Pro.
2018-4-10
Use props
TexasAerials
lvl.4
United States

I have had this issue ever since the first flight with this aircraft, I have tried to edit around it, but a few have still gotten through.  For example, this was the first video with the mavic pro taken back on February 18th, and you can see the glitch in the first sequence at 0:26.  There were other times in the flight that I cut clips short or left out of the final edit due to the glitch.  

2018-4-10
Use props
TexasAerials
lvl.4

I received notice yesterday that the repair under warranty had been approved, and then today I received another notice that the repair had been completed.  Obviously I am happy with this outcome and looking forward to getting my Mavic back and flying again.

Thanks DJI Diana for your help on this as well.   
2018-4-11
Use props
B1houdini
Second Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

TexasAerials Posted at 2018-4-11 11:12
I received notice yesterday that the repair under warranty had been approved, and then today I received another notice that the repair had been completed.  Obviously I am happy with this outcome and looking forward to getting my Mavic back and flying again.

Thanks DJI Diana for your help on this as well.

It is nice to see DJI responding to your problem.
After you get it back check it over real close and when you fly keep it close, incase something goes arise.

Fly safe.
2018-4-11
Use props
TexasAerials
lvl.4

Well the replacement mavic arrived today in the form of a new aircraft along with the old remote and battery.  Unfortunately, the problem persists.  If i am pushing the left stick right or left as I am tilting the camera up or down, the aircraft stutters in its rotation whenever the wheel on the remote reaches the center point.  I have rolled back the firmware on the remote and tested, i have tested with a different device, the only thing that "fixes" the problem is not connecting a device to the remote at all.  I can take off and rotate while tilting the camera, it will stutter every time, but if i unplug the device during the flight, it will not stutter.   I will make a video of the exact issue and circumstances tomorrow as it got dark before I could make a video tonight.  

Unfortunately customer service is already closed for the weekend so contacting them will have to wait until monday.  
2018-4-13
Use props
lomo2017
lvl.4

United States

Is the video that stutters from you Phone cache or from the sd card?
2018-4-13
Use props
TexasAerials
lvl.4

lomo2017 Posted at 2018-4-13 18:38
Is the video that stutters from you Phone cache or from the sd card?

The drone stutters, its like the remote tells it to turn the opposite direction for a split second.  I'll set up the camera on a tripod and show what's going on.  the aircraft stops, the camera turns back  to center and then it starts back up again like nothing happened.  it does this every time the tilt wheel returns to center.  
2018-4-13
Use props
lomo2017
lvl.4

United States

It's odd that both the old one and the replacement have the same problem.
You mentioned about it only happens when phone is connected to RC, did you try a different phone or at least try to reinstall the dji go app?
2018-4-13
Use props
TexasAerials
lvl.4

lomo2017 Posted at 2018-4-13 19:20
It's odd that both the old one and the replacement have the same problem.
You mentioned about it only happens when phone is connected to RC, did you try a different phone or at least try to reinstall the dji go app?

I deleted and reinstalled Go4 on my iPhone 7, and also downloaded Go4 on my wife’s iPad mini with the same result. Same symptoms using the usb on the bottom of the remote as well.  
2018-4-13
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

TexasAerials Posted at 2018-4-11 11:12

Thanks DJI Diana for your help on this as well.

Hi Texas, thanks for your update, glad to know that your drone has repaired under the warranty.
2018-4-14
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

TexasAerials Posted at 2018-4-13 17:24
Well the replacement mavic arrived today in the form of a new aircraft along with the old remote and battery.  Unfortunately, the problem persists.  If i am pushing the left stick right or left as I am tilting the camera up or down, the aircraft stutters in its rotation whenever the wheel on the remote reaches the center point.  I have rolled back the firmware on the remote and tested, i have tested with a different device, the only thing that "fixes" the problem is not connecting a device to the remote at all.  I can take off and rotate while tilting the camera, it will stutter every time, but if i unplug the device during the flight, it will not stutter.   I will make a video of the exact issue and circumstances tomorrow as it got dark before I could make a video tonight.  

Unfortunately customer service is already closed for the weekend so contacting them will have to wait until monday.

Really sorry to hear about the problem again, yes, it is recommended to make a video to show the exact issue, if you need any further help, please feel free to let us know. Thanks!
2018-4-14
Use props
lomo2017
lvl.4

United States

TexasAerials Posted at 2018-4-13 19:26
I deleted and reinstalled Go4 on my iPhone 7, and also downloaded Go4 on my wife’s iPad mini with the same result. Same symptoms using the usb on the bottom of the remote as well.

Very weird. I try not update my craft nor my app to the latest. If everything works well, I try not to update anything. I use a iPhone 6s and IPad mini 4.
DJI Go on my 6s still 4.2.4
On my IPad mini is the latest 4.2.12. Had no choice, just bought the mini few weeks ago.
But both are flying OK with the craft still on the xxxx.0200 firmware
It,s just weird that the replacement has the same problem.
By replacement you meant another drone?
What is the firmware on you craft? Did you try downgrading it?
Just trying to help.
2018-4-14
Use props
TexasAerials
lvl.4

lomo2017 Posted at 2018-4-14 06:57
Very weird. I try not update my craft nor my app to the latest. If everything works well, I try not to update anything. I use a iPhone 6s and IPad mini 4.
DJI Go on my 6s still 4.2.4
On my IPad mini is the latest 4.2.12. Had no choice, just bought the mini few weeks ago.

At this point, the common denominator is the remote.  DJI Service replaced the aircraft, but sent back the old remote.  I have rolled the firmware back to .100 on the remote with the same results.  I just made a video of the issue and will edit and post shortly.  
2018-4-14
Use props
M2Wair
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

My best guess would be the remote based on the above, hope it is sorted very soon and you are back in the air flying.
2018-4-14
Use props
TexasAerials
lvl.4

Video is up, it is 1080p but YT is still processing so give it a minute to get the HD option.  You can see in the video that when the gimbal stops tilting, the aircraft stutters.  

2018-4-14
Use props
lomo2017
lvl.4

United States

TexasAerials Posted at 2018-4-14 12:06
Video is up, it is 1080p but YT is still processing so give it a minute to get the HD option.  You can see in the video that when the gimbal stops tilting, the aircraft stutters.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaFO8AlPavU

That is awful. Makes the craft really useless. Like you said, you did everything, new craft, different phone, reinstall app so left the RC. Did you contact DJI again.
Hopefully it will get fix soon and get you back in the air.
Keep us posted.
2018-4-14
Use props
TexasAerials
lvl.4

I made another service request to send the remote in, hopefully DJI will replace this remote.  The remote will go out on Monday, I'll keep this thread updated.  
2018-4-14
Use props
TexasAerials
lvl.4
United States

I dropped the remote at the UPS store today to go back to DJI, I'll update this thread as I get updates on its progress.  
2018-4-16
Use props
lomo2017
lvl.4

United States

TexasAerials Posted at 2018-4-16 15:07
I dropped the remote at the UPS store today to go back to DJI, I'll update this thread as I get updates on its progress.

Good Luck. Hopefully you will be back flying soon.
2018-4-16
Use props
TexasAerials
lvl.4

The remote was received at the DJI service center yesterday and was logged as received this morning.  A few hours later, I received a series of emails stating that the repair would be covered under warranty.  The fix:  "remote controller main controller board"
2018-4-18
Use props
TexasAerials
lvl.4

Received notice today that the repair has been completed and the remote was being shipped back to me.  Assuming UPS picks it up today, I should have it back in my hands tomorrow!  Update again once I've test flown it.  
2018-4-19
Use props
lomo2017
lvl.4

United States

TexasAerials Posted at 2018-4-19 13:52
Received notice today that the repair has been completed and the remote was being shipped back to me.  Assuming UPS picks it up today, I should have it back in my hands tomorrow!  Update again once I've test flown it.

Can’t wait to hear the good news.
2018-4-19
Use props
TexasAerials
lvl.4

lomo2017 Posted at 2018-4-19 17:23
Can’t wait to hear the good news.

Fingers crossed!
2018-4-19
Use props
TexasAerials
lvl.4

Well, I received the new controller (it appears to be a new controller) yesterday, and unfortunately the problem persists.  In further testing, I have found that the problem also happens when I use the long press on the screen to tilt the gimbal.  So it seems that the issue lies either with the DJI GO4 app, or my iPhone 7.  I don't know how it could be the iPhone, as I have also downloaded GO4 onto an iPad Mini and had the same problem.  At this point, I'm at a loss as to what to do next.  I have done a factory reset on the phone, deleted GO4 and reinstalled, I have no idea what else to try.  
2018-4-21
Use props
TexasAerials
lvl.4
United States

Another update: downloaded and tested on my wife’s iPhone 6 Plus with the same result. So either whatever was replaced on this remote didn’t fix the problem, or there is some other issue with go4
2018-4-21
Use props
lomo2017
lvl.4

United States

TexasAerials Posted at 2018-4-21 05:38
Well, I received the new controller (it appears to be a new controller) yesterday, and unfortunately the problem persists.  In further testing, I have found that the problem also happens when I use the long press on the screen to tilt the gimbal.  So it seems that the issue lies either with the DJI GO4 app, or my iPhone 7.  I don't know how it could be the iPhone, as I have also downloaded GO4 onto an iPad Mini and had the same problem.  At this point, I'm at a loss as to what to do next.  I have done a factory reset on the phone, deleted GO4 and reinstalled, I have no idea what else to try.

So sorry to hear that.
I can't think of anything else either.
The other thing I can ask you maybe to take it someplace else and try. Maybe something is interfering with the signal.
But I am more suspicious of the remote or app/phone. This it happens only when you connect the phone to the remote.
Did you ever try a different cable?

2018-4-21
Use props
TexasAerials
lvl.4

I just tried it again to see if it was the phone or the app that is causing the stutter.  I found that if i exit the app while flying the stutter goes away.  when i reopen the app, the stutter comes back.  I also tried all of the different downlink options with the same result.  It seems to be something to do with the way that the app adjusts the gimbal control output, with the speed and smoothing adjustments.  

@lomo2017 I have tried different cables, and tried using an OTG cable on both the micro usb plug on the side of the remote, as well as with an apple cable through the regular usb on the bottom of the remote.  This remote also came with another DJI apple cable.

EDIT:  I just tested out whether or not the problem continues when I exit the live view but keep the GO4 app open.  I found that the problem remains when the app is open, but not on the live view.  If I exit the app, the problem goes away as well.  
2018-4-21
Use props
TexasAerials
lvl.4

DJI Diana Posted at 2018-4-14 02:17
Really sorry to hear about the problem again, yes, it is recommended to make a video to show the exact issue, if you need any further help, please feel free to let us know. Thanks!

Diana, what do you recommend I do at this point?  It seems that there is either some problem with DJI GO4, or that the service center actually did make a repair on the remote that didn't solve the issue.  

Like I said, I have tried different devices, cables, the Mavic appears to have been replaced, as does the remote.  Where do we go from here?  
2018-4-22
Use props
TexasAerials
lvl.4

DJI Diana Posted at 2018-4-14 02:17

Diana,

I was hoping you could respond and give me some guidance as to where to go from here?  I noticed you posted in my other topic yesterday and was hoping you could respond here based on the additional information I posted.  
2018-4-23
Use props
TexasAerials
lvl.4

I spent a good deal of time on the phone with DJI support today, with the suggestion that I should send the mavic and remote back to DJI again for repair.  I am reluctant to do so given that the last two times back haven't yielded results.  This is extremely frustrating.  
2018-4-23
Use props
TexasAerials
lvl.4
United States

Anyone seen or heard of anything like this before?  Or is anyone in the Houston, Tx area mind letting me plug my phone into your mavic pro setup to see if I can isolate something (phone, remote, app, AC).  
2018-4-23
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

Let us know how everything goes.
2018-4-23
Use props
TexasAerials
lvl.4

I flew the mavic today for a bit to check on some shingle repairs that I had done a few weeks ago, and afterward I flipped it into sport mode for a bit, and noticed that surprisingly, the mavic doesn't have this glitch when in sport mode.  i was able to spin around and tilt the gimbal up and down without the aircraft stuttering in its rotation.  so I guess a temporary workaround for this might be to dial down the settings and just always fly in sport mode, although that would mean no intelligent flight modes.  
2018-4-24
Use props
TexasAerials
lvl.4

As another update to this thread, I have now created a third return request to send my mavic pro back for repair.  I had to call customer support to get the request created, because the link is broken or the page is down for the repair request form at dji.com

So, I guess we'll see if the third time is the charm.  
2018-5-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules