Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DIY camera tilt potentiometer
3202 3 2014-10-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
owen
lvl.1

United States

I'm trying to avoid paying 100$ for the new transmitter for my V2+ to get the camera tilt to work correctly. I currently have the title lever on the back of the Tx but the camera's position isn't relative to the levers position. I can go into how it works if you want but it's kinda messed up.

Anyway! i'm looking to get a spring to center potentiometer like on the new Tx  and do it myself. I've looked all over the internet and can't seem to find a spring to center knob or wheel or even slider for under $150! i can find normal old pot knobs for $5 but would really like to be able to adjust the speed at which the camera tilts, then let go of the knob and have it spring to center, therefore stopping the camera from titling any further.

I'd love it if DJI would sell that knob separately so i could just buy that and slap it on the old Tx but i don't think they're going to do that. I think they want us to drop the $100 on the new Tx.

Any ideas?
2014-10-30
Use props
lenpredaina
lvl.1

Australia

Either spend $99 for a new controller with a camera pitch wheel, or get a $5 potentiometer from Radio Shack and follow the installation instructions found in multiple YouTube posts.   You can calibrate and mark various declination values with hash marks next to your adjustment knob.   One for 10 degrees look down, one for 45 degrees, etc.   Mark whichever declinations you use the most.   Then a quick spin to your preset calibrated points will place the GoPro at the look down angle you desire quickly, every time.    If you want a smooth, slow transition, use the P2 software to adjust Zenmuse pitch gain all the way down to a value of two.   That gives you nice smooth pitch transitions even if you move your potentiometer knob quickly to your desired set point.   For me, a calibrated potentiometer knob is vastly more accurate than the old lever on the back of the transmitter.   I'm guessing you could calibrate and mark one of the new transmitter pitch wheels as well.   Lowering the Zenmuse pitch gain should help with that controller too.   
2014-11-1
Use props
lenpredaina
lvl.1

Australia

lenpredaina@aol Posted at 2014-11-2 08:30
Either spend $99 for a new controller with a camera pitch wheel, or get a $5 potentiometer from Radi ...

The larger the knob on your potentiometer, the easier it is to control the speed you camera changes pitch.  Kudos to DJI for putting a large diameter pitch wheel on the new controller.  A $5 potentiometer with a large adjustment knob works very well, too, in my experience.   Either way, experiment with pitch channel gain to get the best results for your needs.
2014-11-1
Use props
LenCO
lvl.1

United States

Update.   The wheel on the new controller is a spring to center, proportional control.   The farther you push it, the faster the camera changes pitch.  Let go and it springs to neutral and the gimbal is supposed to stop moving instantly.  It's a nice unit.    But you have to concentrate on your FPV to get camera pitch set where you want it. without FPV or if FPV fails, you are hunting blind for a camera pitch down setting.  A calibrated potentiometer knob on the front of the controller will let you got to preset values and get really close to the desired look down, even without FPV.   
2014-11-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules