2553 20 2018-4-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Hummingbird.UAV
Captain
Flight distance : 27489951 ft
  • >>>
Canada

No matter what the size of your viewing device, reflections can make it hard to use for FPV flight.  This hood configuration eliminates reflections off the iPhone surface.  Watch to learn how to make the iPhone hood.    Link to patterns
https://drive.google.com/drive/f ... OyHjs5X?usp=sharing
2018-4-3
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Well I found it interesting and an alternative to spending a small fortune for a hood. Thanks for sharing.
2018-4-3
Use props
Face-AcheNZ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 96631 ft
New Zealand

Simple, easy design - really good! Thanks for sharing that.

I think you could probably also use double-sided tape instead of the glue. Might give it a go while I wait for my PGYTECH hood to arrive from Aliexpress (was NZD$12, so stupidly cheap)..
2018-4-3
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

It's interesting.
2018-4-3
Use props
KREMi
Second Officer
  • >>>
Poland

easy and works
2018-4-3
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
  • >>>
Ireland

And the only difference between the OP's sun hood and mine is about $50 so worth the DIY approach

sunhood1.jpg
2018-4-4
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Cool!      
2018-4-4
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
  • >>>
Ireland

I tried making one for the ipad mini 4 and have given up, I value my fingers too much as me and stanley knives don't mix lol so I purchased a fancy looking thing off Banggood that by the looks of it be easily made DIY... but not by me lol

2018-4-4
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

M2Wair Posted at 2018-4-4 02:10
I tried making one for the ipad mini 4 and have given up, I value my fingers too much as me and stanley knives don't mix lol so I purchased a fancy looking thing off Banggood that by the looks of it be easily made DIY... but not by me lol

Hahahaha - I don't do DIY - period! LOL But fair play to those who do. I bought the official DJI sunhood for £20 and does the job
2018-4-4
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Very interesting for sure.
2018-4-4
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>

Very interesting thanks for sharing.
2018-4-4
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
Captain
  • >>>
Canada

A CW Posted at 2018-4-4 02:15
Hahahaha - I don't do DIY - period! LOL But fair play to those who do. I bought the official DJI sunhood for £20 and does the job

I've made a mini iPad hood as well similar design, it needed notches around the controller clips and a couple of additional Popsicle stiffeners but slips on just as fast.
2018-4-4
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hummingbird.UAV Posted at 2018-4-4 06:01
I've made a mini iPad hood as well similar design, it needed notches around the controller clips and a couple of additional Popsicle stiffeners but slips on just as fast.

Good for you mate - those things are essential IMO and cost a bit too - always good if you can make your own and design it to your personal needs.  
2018-4-4
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

M2Wair Posted at 2018-4-4 02:10
I tried making one for the ipad mini 4 and have given up, I value my fingers too much as me and stanley knives don't mix lol so I purchased a fancy looking thing off Banggood that by the looks of it be easily made DIY... but not by me lol

Same here.  My creative attempts failed so I decided to give up $10 to get this one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... =UTF8&psc=1

I got the 168 size and it fits perfectly on the mini 4.  Gives access to the home button without reaching around the screen, and because there's no lower panel (covers on three sides only) it's easy to access the main screen.  I also bought the  128 size which fits both iPhone 7 and the Huawei X2.
2018-4-4
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
Captain
  • >>>
Canada

WebParrot Posted at 2018-4-4 09:28
Same here.  My creative attempts failed so I decided to give up $10 to get this one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076WW3SQN/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Main thing wrong with the Amazon hood is that it is straight down which does not eliminate screen reflections.  Built my first hoods like this and they were unsatisfactory.
2018-4-4
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Hummingbird.UAV Posted at 2018-4-4 16:45
Main thing wrong with the Amazon hood is that it is straight down which does not eliminate screen reflections.  Built my first hoods like this and they were unsatisfactory.

Ah, I see.  

I use the larger (mini 4) on a MavMount that allows me to adjust the angle of the screen for the best view/least glare.  I also have an anti-glare screen protector which further decreases light issues.  

As for the smaller version, for the X2, it gets less use as my Spark is new-ish...  I use it in the RC mount and I could see where the straight-up could be limiting.
2018-4-5
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
Captain
  • >>>
Canada

WebParrot Posted at 2018-4-5 06:26
Ah, I see.  

I use the larger (mini 4) on a MavMount that allows me to adjust the angle of the screen for the best view/least glare.  I also have an anti-glare screen protector which further decreases light issues.  

I used a MavMount and modified it as per this video below.  Howver I like the hoods above because they fold flat and weigh next to nothing.

2018-4-5
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Hummingbird.UAV Posted at 2018-4-5 07:23
I used a MavMount and modified it as per this video below.  Howver I like the hoods above because they fold flat and weigh next to nothing.

https://youtu.be/B_KQ0yPLhW0

Nice idea.  Looks like it works well for you and, with the angled hood you've made, serves you well.  
2018-4-5
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
Captain
  • >>>
Canada

WebParrot Posted at 2018-4-5 07:42
Nice idea.  Looks like it works well for you and, with the angled hood you've made, serves you well.

I've made a larger design that works with a mini-iPad.  Folds completely flat.

2018-4-28
Use props
Ratnow
lvl.2
Flight distance : 840669 ft
United States

Great idea.
2018-4-28
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Hummingbird.UAV Posted at 2018-4-28 06:19
I've made a larger design that works with a mini-iPad.  Folds completely flat.
[view_image]
[view_image]

Very nice, again,... I've "finally" been able to use mine... three days of spring sunshine.... FINALLY. :-)
2018-4-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules