Unobtrusive landing pads
2245 25 2018-4-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansc4e82850
lvl.2
Flight distance : 20823 ft
Turkey

Does anyone know of more subtle landing pads. Maybe in a plain dark colour rather than bright orange with a big H on it. I am looking at getting a pad but would like something that draws minimal attention. Alternatively has anybody found something else that works as well as a specific pad.

Appreciate that I might be in the minority here!
2018-4-3
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Hi, normally, it is recommended to purchase the PGYTECH Drone Landing Pad from DJI online store: https://store.dji.com/product/pg ... h&vid=22731, thanks!
2018-4-3
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

https://twitter.com/droneanalyst/status/675441805458993153
2018-4-3
Use props
eddieNoob
lvl.4
Puerto Rico

The point of a landing pad IS to be somewhat 'obtrusive' so the downward sensors have something to key on.
I made my own out of a piece of light gray cardboard box (about .8m x .5m in area) and put a nice neat 'H' on it in blue painters' tape.
Stuck it to the ground with two big spikes in opposite corners.
Bob's yer Uncle.

2018-4-4
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Unobtrusive! I would have thought the opposite would be of more benefit..... like hello I am landing and taking off here, keep away. That said you will never stop stupid people getting too close.  We have our landing pad coned off with 4 cones and tape and still we get asshats getting too close..... seriously our set up screams stand back.
2018-4-4
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

M2Wair Posted at 2018-4-4 04:56
Unobtrusive! I would have thought the opposite would be of more benefit..... like hello I am landing and taking off here, keep away. That said you will never stop stupid people getting too close.  We have our landing pad coned off with 4 cones and tape and still we get asshats getting too close..... seriously our set up screams stand back.

I find monosyllabic answers to be the best when the 'annoying' approach you whilst flying
2018-4-4
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
  • >>>
Ireland

A CW Posted at 2018-4-4 11:19
I find monosyllabic answers to be the best when the 'annoying' approach you whilst flying

They would just look at you like you had two heads, blank stare and cretinous grin and ignore you just the same.    

You've met his/her brother haven't you, we are surrounded by them. Everybody with a drone meets the village idiot almost every time they fly in public.   
2018-4-4
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

M2Wair Posted at 2018-4-4 12:47
They would just look at you like you had two heads, blank stare and cretinous grin and ignore you just the same.     

You've met his/her brother haven't you, we are surrounded by them. Everybody with a drone meets the village idiot almost every time they fly in public.

Some are OK and just watch whilst walking past then come over after landing and those are the ones I'll open up to and they usually walk away looking at the DJI app to buy one LOL.

I wait most of the week to get out with my drone, check it all over, charge it all up, drive miles to my locations, fly in line with that drone code and finally get the thing in the air and line up some great shots in that special hour or two I give myself to enjoy my hobby each week and the last thing I need is some moron encroaching on my time and space with the usual:
Where is it
How much is that then
How fast does it go
How high does it fly
How far away can you get it
2018-4-4
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Sounds like some of you fly in unsafe places.  Choose where you fly-away from where people hang out.
2018-4-4
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

I have 3 landing pads.  Depending on the location and weather.
If  there is light  to no wind I use my Pgytech landing pad. If it is a bit breezy I find the Pgytech moves on me (ground is usually to rocky or hard to spike in) so I use my Ultimaxx which a bit smaller and made from rubber.
When I fly At home I throw out the homemade one ,3' square and made of wood.
2018-4-4
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
  • >>>
Ireland

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2018-4-4 13:25
Sounds like some of you fly in unsafe places.  Choose where you fly-away from where people hang out.

Nope, safety is our number one priority at all times. I will take a pic of our launch set up next time we are out, it screams please stay back lol.  It is the nature of drone flying, people are curious and inquisitive creatures at the best of times, non more so than the Irish, and if you didn't know, are the most Friendly affable people you will ever meet, who just so happen like to talk. They can talk the hind legs off a donkey and here lays the problem. You can be in the middle of nowhere and they will and do appear, if only to say hello and have a chat.   

99.9% of the GP are just that, inquisitive and mean absolutely no harm whatsoever and generally back off when requested to so or when the drone returns to the flying point and launch pad. That said all it takes is that .01% and if you have not yet met that %, you will, at some point.

If the sun shines and wind eases, we fly, statistically at some point somebody is going to encroach on our safety barriers and get too close, if only to say hello and chat. Thankfully we have both the safety equipment and command vocabulary to keep them back. Over and out lol
2018-4-4
Use props
FatherXmas
First Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have a large 'Welcome' mat from Walmart. The word 'Welcome' gives the downward camera something to lock onto plus it's heavy enough that it doesn't need staked down to keep it from blowing away.
2018-4-4
Use props
Face-AcheNZ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 96631 ft
New Zealand

I just use a rubber-backed mat that has a very short, soft kind of carpet pile on the top. The rubber makes it heavy enough to not need staking to the ground. I got it for NZD$10 from a local daily deals website. Seems to work well. Wife says they’re called “clean step” mats.
Here’s mine;

Thinking I might paint a big ‘H’ in a circle on it.
2018-4-4
Use props
Face-AcheNZ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 96631 ft
New Zealand

^ Gah!  
2018-4-4
Use props
sky6105
Second Officer
Flight distance : 345653 ft
United States

I now use the back hatch floor mat from my wife's car.
I don't have to store it just put it back one less thing to carry to the flying site from home its always there.
The mat not the wife.
2018-4-5
Use props
GrahamG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 73369 ft

This must be a late April fools surely?
2018-4-5
Use props
Scott.
Second Officer
Flight distance : 294006 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I really can’t see the point of these and I agree with the OP. Having something luminous orange with a huge H just seems a little too cliche and cheesy.

I’ve been flying for a few years, Mavic Pro and Phantom 4 Pro and i’ve never felt the need to use one of these ‘pads’
2018-4-5
Use props
DroneDriver
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1164226 ft
  • >>>
United States

Scott. Posted at 2018-4-5 23:19
I really can’t see the point of these and I agree with the OP. Having something luminous orange with a huge H just seems a little too cliche and cheesy.

I’ve been flying for a few years, Mavic Pro and Phantom 4 Pro and i’ve never felt the need to use one of these ‘pads’

The point of the pad with identifying marks is to give the aircraft the ability to locate the take-off position, visually, insuring the most accurate RTH .

If you don't live in a concrete jungle and fly from a field that has no flat, grassless, area to launch from without using gear extenders to keep the props out of the weeds, they are an ideal accessory.

Those pesky marks at the airport on the runway are the ultimate cheese, maybe. Makes sense in the name of organized safety and common sense, should anyone choose to use any.

I am a licensed pilot of many years, BECAUSE of safety, accuracy, and common sense. ...Not to mention the CHEESY CLICHES.

2018-4-6
Use props
Silvex
lvl.3

United States

I'm a new pilot and I have found that my hand is the most portable and unobtrusive launching/landing pad. It was very affordable and it's easy to take everywhere. It doubles as a stick controller.

I highly recommend it - not mine of course - you have to use your own.
2018-4-6
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

M2Wair Posted at 2018-4-4 12:47

Have you tried something that will scare nearly half of all people away - Employment Ads and Job Applications?
2018-4-6
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

DroneDriver Posted at 2018-4-6 03:08
The point of the pad with identifying marks is to give the aircraft the ability to locate the take-off position, visually, insuring the most accurate RTH .

If you don't live in a concrete jungle and fly from a field that has no flat, grassless, area to launch from without using gear extenders to keep the props out of the weeds, they are an ideal accessory.

I am a licensed pilot of many years, BECAUSE of safety, accuracy, and common sense.  

I am most comfortable flying when I look in cockpit, and see Captain is as old as I am.
Suggesting said Captain falls under the cliche of - There are no old bold pilots.

2018-4-6
Use props
Wellsi
First Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You hand would be the easiest, most unobtrusive and most portable pad!  

Both the Pro and the Air can be hand caught by simply holding your hand out flat and keeping the left stick down.
It will hover for a few seconds, then descend straight into your palm. No fingers near the props. Perfectly safe.

Cheers
Ian
2018-4-6
Use props
GrahamG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 73369 ft

I can’t see DJI recommending this method. The foldable pads are great and do away with the need to use landing gear...and dicing your fingers.
2018-4-6
Use props
DroneDriver
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1164226 ft
  • >>>
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-4-6 22:45
I am a licensed pilot of many years, BECAUSE of safety, accuracy, and common sense.  

I am most comfortable flying when I look in cockpit, and see Captain is as old as I am.

Yep.
My, friend, I'd be that guy in the left seat with many hours experience.
I grew up flying since 18, safety from knowledge and experience is a way of life, for me. It works well in this arena.

I attempt to enlighten others to THINK and use common sense in this hobby. Call out careless or reckless drone owners and encourage them to EDUCATE themselves and hurt no people ...or my hobby.
2018-4-7
Use props
djiuser_RJlgiSVTqImb
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8117 ft
United States

Does the Mavic Air actually recognize the pattern on the landing pad?  Or the color of the pad? I already have a 5-in-1 photo reflector.  It just doesn't have the orange layer with an "H" on it.  It wouldn't be too difficult to sacrifice one surface and paint markings on it, but even easier to just use it as it is.  (The surfaces are white, black, silver, gold, and translucent white) Not that these things are very expensive, but you know, one more thing to own/carry around...
2018-4-16
Use props
toddster
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8117 ft
United States

And I answer my own question: No, Mavic will not voluntarily land on a plain photo reflector, but you can force it down manually.  Shoots "unsuitable for landing" error message.  But man, dust and grit fly up without a pad.  Nothing paved around here...
2018-4-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules