Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Osmo "Pro" FAIL
1666 14 2018-4-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
chris.chrisodomphoto
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3302110 ft
  • >>>

First, I want to start by saying that I think DJI makes awesome products from a technology standpoint. However, being a pro, I have to trust my gear and know that it is built for everyday use in a production environment. DJI gear, especially the Osmo &quotro" is not.

With that being said, let my rant begin:

I was recently booked for an international assignment which involved travel by air, land and sea. For this assignment, I knew that the Osmo Pro with the X5 was the best choice for this gig given all the shooting environments and timelines.

Upon arriving at my location, I opened my Osmo case and started to prep my gear to start filming the following day. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that the mount on the Osmo handle literally broke off in my hand as I was mounting the X5 adaptor! The shocking part was that I hand carried this case with me, knowing that this piece of equipment was delicate to begin with. Let me also say that the case was treated with care and was at no point out of my sight.

After realizing what was going on, I began to investigate and work on a plan to resolve the issue.

It is indeed very surprising that DJI would make something that is supposedly designed for a pro so delicate. In the attached photos, notice how the mount on the handle is secured: by 4 extremely TINY screws, into fragile plastic. Why would something that is to serve as the base for everything be secured with such little care and quality. Notice how short the screws are!!! Also, notice that the plastic that the screws go in to just, for lack of a better word, disintegrated. See how the plastic is still on the screws!!!

This is by NO MEANS a pro piece of equipment. And this is the reason why most of the film industry pros refer to DJI gear as toys.

In the end, I was able to cobble something together using some zip ties and epoxy to temporarily hold the mount on the handle and be able to attach the X5 adaptor. But it was still very frustrating. Even though I was able to use the Osmo Pro, I had to constantly restart the app and the handle as the connection to the gimbal would just stop working. Due to the fact that it was barely seated and holding on.

Finally, to add insult to injury, I now have to pay $200 to replace the Osmo handle which I can now no longer trust as I know how the mount is secured to the handle.

Please, DJI if you are listening, make a &quotRO" level handle for the Osmo. This is a great piece of gear that I would like to use but I just can not depend on it. In the end, professional gear should be robust and dependable due to the constant use and working environment of professionals. I would happily pay for a rugged Osmo handle which has been designed with a more secure mounting system.

I would love to hear everyone thoughts on this. Sound off below!

IMG_2433.jpg IMG_2165.jpg IMG_4160.jpg IMG_2539.jpg IMG_4528.jpg
2018-4-5
Use props
DJIJAKOB
First Officer
Flight distance : 740577 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Not a common issue, just bad luck
2018-4-5
Use props
chris.chrisodomphoto
lvl.1
  • >>>

DJIJAKOB Posted at 2018-4-5 07:43
Not a common issue, just bad luck

Thanks for taking the time to respond, but your response. Well, how can I say this respectfully? Is not really helpful.

While it may not be a common issue, how can you just brush it aside. As a professional  I depend on my gear to work. Period. Bad luck or not, this SHOULD NOT HAPPEN. Did you examine the photos? How can you just say it is bad luck? Luck had nothing to do with it, and everything to do with how DJI designed the mount and how the mount was secured to the handle.
2018-4-5
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Chris, we are terribly sorry for what happened to the device and the inconvenience that has been caused to your work. This issue barely happens, the handles have been fully tested and are solid enough for X5 camera, for your experience, we sincerely apologize, but your feedback will be reported to our engineers for attention, we will also keep improving our products to make you have a better experience in the future.
2018-4-6
Use props
chris.chrisodomphoto
lvl.1
  • >>>

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-4-6 02:15
Chris, we are terribly sorry for what happened to the device and the inconvenience that has been caused to your work. This issue barely happens, the handles have been fully tested and are solid enough for X5 camera, for your experience, we sincerely apologize, but your feedback will be reported to our engineers for attention, we will also keep improving our products to make you have a better experience in the future.

Thank you for your response.

I do understand that you have tested these handles before leaving the factory. But how do you explain the fact that the plastic just disintegrated around the screws? I twisted the mount to add the Z axis and when I did, the mount came off in my hand. That is not a normal experience, that is a failure.

Further, you mentioned this issue barely happens. That implies that, while rare, it does indeed happen. How have you handled other customers in the past who have had this failure?

Bottom line, for me, while I am disappointed in how the mount was secured to the handle, I am willing to more forward with using the gear, especially given the fact that I have spent the money for the system. But, I do not feel as though I should have to shell out an additional $200USD due to a manufacturer defect or design. Can you offer any help or advice?

As you can see by the amount of DJI gear I own and how far I've flown, I am an avid user. And while I do understand things happen, what I am more concerned with is how DJI as a company handles this issue from a personal and design standpoint. If you want more pros to have and endorse your gear, you need to offer professional level customer service.
2018-4-6
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Captain
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>

Sorry to hear that your Osmo Pro failed. Indeed Osmo X5 gimbal adapter is missing small, but crucial element of additional support on the back, just above foam cushion. This little hook is used on Inspire 1 Pro gimbal holder, but - for some reason - was ignored during Osmo adapter development. A a result much heavier X5 camera is noticeably flexing when engaged, challenging these 4 screws, particularly in flashlight position. Custom build rig of mine is addressing this issue as well. In your case of bad luck I suspect the damage was done earlier, perhaps even on assembly line ...

2018-4-6
Use props
chris.chrisodomphoto
lvl.1
  • >>>

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2018-4-6 20:03
Sorry to hear that your Osmo Pro failed. Indeed Osmo X5 gimbal adapter is missing small, but crucial element of additional support on the back, just above foam cushion. This little hook is used on Inspire 1 Pro gimbal holder, but - for some reason - was ignored during Osmo adapter development. A a result much heavier X5 camera is noticeably flexing when engaged, challenging these 4 screws, particularly in flashlight position. Custom build rig of mine is addressing this issue as well. In your case of bad luck I suspect the damage was done earlier, perhaps even on assembly line ...

[view_image]

Thanks for your words of support. At least by this point I would hope that DJI would pass this along to the engineers but, as we have all seen, it appears as though they could really care less once they have our money.

I have to say it, just one more time: DJI customer support is the worst experience I have ever had with such expensive equipment. Please, if you really do want pros to depend on your gear, then you need to support us when issues like this happens. AND, pay attention to your users, who are basically beta testers, point out such serious issues. Instead of calling it bad luck or user error, listen. And HELP!

OK. Rant over.

BTW, your custom solution looks amazing. Do you by chance sell them? I would totally be interested if so.
2018-4-13
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Captain
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>

chris.chrisodomphoto Posted at 2018-4-13 13:52
Thanks for your words of support. At least by this point I would hope that DJI would pass this along to the engineers but, as we have all seen, it appears as though they could really care less once they have our money.

I have to say it, just one more time: DJI customer support is the worst experience I have ever had with such expensive equipment. Please, if you really do want pros to depend on your gear, then you need to support us when issues like this happens. AND, pay attention to your users, who are basically beta testers, point out such serious issues. Instead of calling it bad luck or user error, listen. And HELP!

Yes, DJI customer support may be far from perfection for many reasons, but - on the other hand - the brand is offering affordable solutions for semi-professional applications no one else in the world is able to.  Truly professional equipment delivering equal quality imagery will cost tenfold these days.

Anyway, no - my rig is one of the kind, build as a DIY project in my hobby shop. More here:

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D429%26typeid%3D429

However, if you're really in need for something of this nature, i may be able to provide you with prototypical, useable parts of the system I keep in bottom drawer. PM me ...

2018-4-13
Use props
chris.chrisodomphoto
lvl.1
  • >>>

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2018-4-13 15:37
Yes, DJI customer support may be far from perfection for many reasons, but - on the other hand - the brand is offering affordable solutions for semi-professional applications no one else in the world is able to.  Truly professional equipment delivering equal quality imagery will cost tenfold these days.

Anyway, no - my rig is one of the kind, build as a DIY project in my hobby shop. More here:

Yes. Your statement is so true about the cost. I guess that is the way that DJI can get their prices down. As they say, there is no such thing as a free lunch.

BTW, sent you a PM. Would love to take you up on your offer of spare parts! Please let me know your thoughts when you have a moment.
2018-4-14
Use props
RICARDO LOPEZ
lvl.1
Colombia

Hi. The same thing happened to me. Could you help me with some solution? I live in Colombia and I do not know where to buy the spare part.
I thank you for your prompt response since I have to do a professional job.
2018-8-3
Use props
RICARDO LOPEZ
lvl.1
Colombia

2018-8-3
Use props
RICARDO LOPEZ
lvl.1
Colombia

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-4-6 02:15

Good afternoon.
The same thing happened to me as chris.chrisodomphoto, could you help me to solve the issue of the spare you have to buy ?. I thank you infinitely for the proto support that you can give me.
Thank you.

2018-8-3
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

RICARDO LOPEZ Posted at 2018-8-3 13:37
Good afternoon.
The same thing happened to me as chris.chrisodomphoto, could you help me to solve the issue of the spare you have to buy ?. I thank you infinitely for the proto support that you can give me.
Thank you.

Hi RICARDO, I just came back from my holiday, sorry for the late response and the troubles with Osmo handle, we do not have this spare for sale in our online store, it is recommended to contact our customer support team to start a ticket and send it in for the repair service, please contact the team here: https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav Thank you.
2018-8-9
Use props
RICARDO LOPEZ
lvl.1
Colombia

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-8-9 03:31
Hi RICARDO, I just came back from my holiday, sorry for the late response and the troubles with Osmo handle, we do not have this spare for sale in our online store, it is recommended to contact our customer support team to start a ticket and send it in for the repair service, please contact the team here: https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav Thank you.

Ok thanks Mindy
2018-8-17
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

You are welcome, please let me know if you have any further concern.
2018-8-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules