Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Appalling quality with X5 RAW files
2066 12 2018-4-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansc0cdc59f
lvl.4
Flight distance : 442743 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

[size=14.6667px]As a pro photographer, I have used the X5 for quite some time now and have been pretty unimpressed with the quality of the stills RAW images. Because most of  my work is video work, I have been  a bit lazy in coming forward on the  forum. But today, I conducted some tests and they are, to say the least,  quite revealing. [size=14.6667px]

[size=14.6667px]The issues I have are:-

[size=14.6667px]1)  When shooting stills with the 25mm Zuiko lens, in RAW, there is some  terrible green fringing across the image. This shows regardless of the aperture and is present from f2.8 through  to f11. However, this is not apparent when capturing Jpegs! So very odd and clealry not an issue with the lens. Neither are there any issues with the Zuiko 12mm.

[size=14.6667px]2)  For some reason, when shooting RAW, even with all contrast, sharpness and saturation set to -3, the image is dreadful. Often over saturated and contrasty. Combine this with the green fringing and it's a dog's dinner and very difficult to get anything half decent from. This is also  apparent on the 12mm Zuiko. Also, when shooting Jpegs, the files show how I would expect the RAW files to be, ie, low contrast and  unsaturated.

[size=14.6667px]I have attched some pics that show the issues at hand.
I DON'T KNOW WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO THIS POST, BUT IT HAS PROVED IMPOSSIBLE TO EDIT PROPERLY. APOLOGIES. NB: all images are straight out of the camera with no grading.

[size=14.6667px]

The top pic is Jpeg and the second one is RAW. The third pic shows green fringing I get with the RAW files, which can be seen around the windows, and the Jpeg below, shows no fringing at all.

I really do need to sort this out, so some help would be appreciated as soon as possible.
Jpeg.jpg
RAW.jpg
RAW b.jpg
Jpeg a.jpg
2018-4-5
Use props
rent
Captain
Flight distance : 1773458 ft
  • >>>
Russia

I am very interested in this issue as well as I am mostly a still photographer. May I ask if you are using Lightroom for the RAW files? I'm wondering if the automatic applying of the camera profile would have anything to do with it.
2018-4-5
Use props
fansc0cdc59f
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

rent Posted at 2018-4-5 10:39
I am very interested in this issue as well as I am mostly a still photographer. May I ask if you are using Lightroom for the RAW files? I'm wondering if the automatic applying of the camera profile would have anything to do with it.

Hi, no, I don't use Lightroom, I import straight into PS CC, or should I say, open the Raw files straight into the Raw 9.6 processor.
2018-4-5
Use props
fansc0cdc59f
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Anyone?....
2018-4-6
Use props
fansc0cdc59f
lvl.4
  • >>>

A response from DJI would be appreciated.
2018-4-7
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Sorry for the late response and the difficulties you are experiencing now, when and how did the issue happen? Any chance after firmware upgrade? What is the current firmware version? What SD card do you use? Have you tried to format it or try another one? Does the video have the same problem? If the issue persists, could you please upload several original pictures including JPEG and RAW to Dropbox or Google Driver and then share us the link for further analysis? Thank you very much.
2018-4-8
Use props
fansc0cdc59f
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-4-8 01:30
Sorry for the late response and the difficulties you are experiencing now, when and how did the issue happen? Any chance after firmware upgrade? What is the current firmware version? What SD card do you use? Have you tried to format it or try another one? Does the video have the same problem? If the issue persists, could you please upload several original pictures including JPEG and RAW to Dropbox or Google Driver and then share us the link for further analysis? Thank you very much.

Hi, thanks for the reply, appreciated. The SD cards I use are the Scandisk Extreme pro. They are formatted prior to every job I do. The firmware is the latest DJI firmware. There is no issue with video. I have included both a jpeg and a raw file via Dropbox. To summaries, there is no issue either raw or Jpeg with the 12mm, there is no issue with Jpegs with the 25mm. The only time I see fringing is shooting raw with the 25mm. I have always found the raw files, regardless of which lens, to be oversaturated and contrasty. Very odd. Here is a link to Dropbox where the two original files are. PS, there is also an additional raw file (no Jpeg) that also shows the issue. The fringing can be easily seen around vertical lines and windows etc.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/un90a ... 8EEBW6l9IG1X8a?dl=0
2018-4-8
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
First Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

fansc0cdc59f, since your JPGs show little CA color edge artifacts and as they are a part of the RAW/DNG file, it's safe to assume the DNG file is also good, but whatever software you are using to open and edit the DNG is at fault somewhere.

Fwiw, I also downloaded your dropbox files and opened the DNG in RAWTherapee 5.3 (Freeware) and opened the DNG that is posted above which shows the strong purple/yellow CA artifacts around the white window frames.  It can be fixed with that software as the screen capture below shows.  Some still image editors just don't work well with strong CA issues with some lenses while others do.

Test.jpg
2018-4-8
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

fansc0cdc59f Posted at 2018-4-8 11:24
Hi, thanks for the reply, appreciated. The SD cards I use are the Scandisk Extreme pro. They are formatted prior to every job I do. The firmware is the latest DJI firmware. There is no issue with video. I have included both a jpeg and a raw file via Dropbox. To summaries, there is no issue either raw or Jpeg with the 12mm, there is no issue with Jpegs with the 25mm. The only time I see fringing is shooting raw with the 25mm. I have always found the raw files, regardless of which lens, to be oversaturated and contrasty. Very odd. Here is a link to Dropbox where the two original files are. PS, there is also an additional raw file (no Jpeg) that also shows the issue. The fringing can be easily seen around vertical lines and windows etc.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/un90aenm2czhswc/AACEKvN8C3p8EEBW6l9IG1X8a?dl=0

Thanks for the update, the original files have been forwarded to our engineers for analysis, I will come back to you once I get any update, thanks for your patience.
2018-4-9
Use props
fansc0cdc59f
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-4-9 03:29
Thanks for the update, the original files have been forwarded to our engineers for analysis, I will come back to you once I get any update, thanks for your patience.

Thank you. I look forward to your help.
2018-4-11
Use props
DJI_camera
DJI R&D Squad

Hong Kong

The DNG records RAW without any processing so the reproduction of color and contrast is dependent on the RAW decoding software. The users can make adjustments in the software if the default look generated by the raw viewer is not satisfactory.

Please enable chromatic aberration correction function in Adobe Camera Raw. This will compensate for the fringes which come from aberration.
2018-4-14
Use props
fansc0cdc59f
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI_camera Posted at 2018-4-14 03:39
The DNG records RAW without any processing so the reproduction of color and contrast is dependent on the RAW decoding software. The users can make adjustments in the software if the default look generated by the raw viewer is not satisfactory.

Please enable chromatic aberration correction function in Adobe Camera Raw. This will compensate for the fringes which come from aberration.

Thanks for the reply. All the years I have been a photographer I never knew this option existed, probably because I have never needed it. Many thanks for your help, appreciated.
2018-4-14
Use props
martinfueloep
First Officer
Flight distance : 1551401 ft
  • >>>
Austria

DJI_camera Posted at 2018-4-14 03:39
The DNG records RAW without any processing so the reproduction of color and contrast is dependent on the RAW decoding software. The users can make adjustments in the software if the default look generated by the raw viewer is not satisfactory.

DJI_camera's reply is only partly correct. The problem is that in the DNG-file there is an embedded correction profile for each lens. The profile DJI uses for the Oly 25 is corrupt and "corrects" the clean DNG-file to such a strong aberration. Some raw converters automatically use this proflie and ruin the pictures.
You have to remove the embedded lens profile from the DNGs. Here you can find some more information:
https://forum.dji.com/thread-126793-1-2.html
2018-4-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules