9919 10 2018-4-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MRC Management SA
lvl.1
Flight distance : 55095 ft
Thailand

Hi Guys,

Does anyone have experienced an overheating gimbal during flight with no apparent reason? The gimbal has started to act crazy until I manage to land it.

When I restart it I obviously get the message "gimbal overheating". I turn on the mavic "sideway" as many of you have adviced and it works again... except that gimbal calibrations always fail.

I can fly with my mavic but not use the gimbal (facing down) as it starts again to fail/overheat.

Fyi I have never crashed my mavic and I sent it to dji 8 months ago because of... the gimbal. To much sand on the mavic... my bad.

Any suggestion so I could use it for the last 10 days of my vacation?

Many thx,
2018-4-6
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

all i can think to suggest is for you to get a can of compressed air and a small good quality fine soft hair paint brush (or similar).

Then... with the drone turned off... poke the brush fibres into the opening around the gimbal in gentle stabbing motions and all the while taking moments to blow the unit out whilst moving the movable parts to either extreme and back and forwards again.

Maybe also take a close up photo of the gimbal motor sections with your phone - those parts are so small it is difficult to see properly with the naked eye. maybe something visible like a hair or piece of grass which you may be able to pull out.

good luck
2018-4-6
Use props
MRC Management SA
lvl.1
Thailand

Thx Bekaru... I will try this.
2018-4-6
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yep, does sound like there is a blockage caused by a build up or the gimbal motors have worn out.
2018-4-6
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Hi there, I'm sorry to hear about the issue that you are experiencing. Please do not fly the drone in any harsh environment, the sand will damage the gimbal camera. For the flight safety purpose, you are recommended to start a case and send it in for full diagnosis: https://www.dji.com/support. Thanks!
2018-4-6
Use props
MRC Management SA
lvl.1
Thailand

Hi Diana, I sais FYI I had this issue in the past and DJI fixed it. Now, I take off from a portable helipad so sand or dirt is not the issue. I flew the mavic dozen of times with no issues and this appeared suddenly yesterday during a normal flight. Please advise. Many thx.
2018-4-6
Use props
Del1006
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2269039 ft
United States

I as well yesterday has the same occurrence happened to me. During flight the gimbal was acting a little bit radically then the camera had a tilt about 5 degrees. It will not respond however work perfectly facing down. I proceeded to bring the aircraft down to make an observation or what could be causing this phenomenon.. Upon doing so I notice a foul scent of heat emanating from the gimbal housing and camera frame upon touching the surface it was very hot actually burn my fingertips! Upon further inspection today after my ordeal yesterday, I proceeded to put a laser thermometer on to my drone camera gimbal. As you can see it reached a whopping 120 degrees Fahrenheit. I've been flying drones  for many years have never experienced this for on my mavic pro! I'm the type of person that considers myself yes OCD! I keep gimbal guard and the gimbal bubble always to prevent my drone from it being jostled and getting debris upon it! I've already had more than 1,000 flights with my mavic pro!
IMG_20190728_183302700.jpg
2019-7-28
Use props
djiuser_wEjbQRK5XzJ8
New
Flight distance : 168287 ft
Brazil

Del1006 Posted at 7-28 16:54
I as well yesterday has the same occurrence happened to me. During flight the gimbal was acting a little bit radically then the camera had a tilt about 5 degrees. It will not respond however work perfectly facing down. I proceeded to bring the aircraft down to make an observation or what could be causing this phenomenon.. Upon doing so I notice a foul scent of heat emanating from the gimbal housing and camera frame upon touching the surface it was very hot actually burn my fingertips! Upon further inspection today after my ordeal yesterday, I proceeded to put a laser thermometer on to my drone camera gimbal. As you can see it reached a whopping 120 degrees Fahrenheit. I've been flying drones  for many years have never experienced this for on my mavic pro! I'm the type of person that considers myself yes OCD! I keep gimbal guard and the gimbal bubble always to prevent my drone from it being jostled and getting debris upon it! I've already had more than 1,000 flights with my mavic pro![Image]

What have you done about this problem?
I'm having the same overheating problem with my mavic pro. During the last flight the gimbal got so hot that the flat cable melts down.
2019-8-5
Use props
fans6955f79e
New
United States

www.Google.com

2019-8-5
Use props
fans49ebb1ea
lvl.2
Flight distance : 83481 ft
  • >>>
United States

I just had the same isssue with a brand new mavic 2 pro.  At about  a minute into the flight I got a warning on the controller of gimbal overheat.  The gimbal would respond but was squirrely.  Landed and looked it over and didnt see any problem other than a stange grayish mark on the top side.  I was wondering if maybe a bird or large bug hit in the area betwen the camera and body of the drone.  didnt see any feathers or other remnants but something had to leave that mark
2019-11-9
Use props
DroneVideoGuy
lvl.2

Canada

Do you use the original Mavic or Mavic 2?
2019-11-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules