In- between the rain
1240 28 2018-4-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bekaru MP UAV
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

Hi all, bad weather today. waited for a gap in the rain and it came along. took the opportunity for a short fly around - hope you enjoy

2018-4-6
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

All good things come to those who wait! Great footage mate!  
2018-4-6
Use props
4wesomeAdam
lvl.4

Loved the smooth navigation and buzzing the coast. Music was good.
2018-4-6
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Fabulous footage mate, I really enjoyed it, what a fabulous area to fly in.

but I hate to burst the bubble, but you don't get rain lol It has rained here for the past 8 months.... that's rain
2018-4-6
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

Nicely done
2018-4-6
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nice footage.
I think this was created in DJI Go right?
(because of the low resolution)
2018-4-6
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
First Officer
South Africa

A CW Posted at 2018-4-6 09:29
All good things come to those who wait! Great footage mate!

Thanks acw
2018-4-6
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
First Officer
South Africa

4wesomeAdam Posted at 2018-4-6 09:35
Loved the smooth navigation and buzzing the coast. Music was good.

thanks adam - glad you enjoyed it .
2018-4-6
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
First Officer
South Africa

M2Wair Posted at 2018-4-6 09:36
Fabulous footage mate, I really enjoyed it, what a fabulous area to fly in.

but I hate to burst the bubble, but you don't get rain lol It has rained here for the past 8 months.... that's rain

thanks m2w - personally rewarding to know that you enjoyed it.

i could not cope with a week of rain - 8 months and i would be in the loony bin.hope you get some good sun and wind free days soon.
2018-4-6
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
First Officer
South Africa

Thanks suren - glad you enjoyed it
2018-4-6
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
First Officer
South Africa

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-4-6 10:35
Nice footage.
I think this was created in DJI Go right?
(because of the low resolution)

thanks montfrooij - yes done in dji go - contributing to the low resolution appearence was a few drops of rain on the lense - but i thought to edit and post anyway for the practice.
2018-4-6
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Bekaru MP UAV Posted at 2018-4-6 11:47
thanks montfrooij - yes done in dji go - contributing to the low resolution appearence was a few drops of rain on the lense - but i thought to edit and post anyway for the practice.

You're welcome.
Always nice to see
2018-4-6
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Great video, enjoy it. Thanks for sharing, looking forward to seeing more videos from you.
2018-4-6
Use props
dji TO88
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4678 ft

Well worth the wait! Well done!
2018-4-6
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>

Looks Awesome, nicely done.
2018-4-6
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
First Officer
South Africa

dji TO88 Posted at 2018-4-6 19:09
Well worth the wait! Well done!

thank you T088
2018-4-6
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
First Officer
South Africa

Woe Posted at 2018-4-6 20:02
Looks Awesome, nicely done.

merci woe. have a nice day
2018-4-6
Use props
Henry M.Y.
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11548839 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Hi Dean,

Salute to your guts on trusting your Mavic Pro's barometer!

Nice footages over calm water. I was surprised that the birds were not disturbed even though your Mavic Pro was flying so close to them.

Happy flying.

Henry
2018-4-7
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>

Bekaru MP UAV Posted at 2018-4-6 23:22
merci woe. have a nice day

2018-4-7
Use props
GoldenSun
First Officer
Flight distance : 681903 ft
Poland

Looking good! Have fun!
2018-4-7
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
First Officer
South Africa

Henry M.Y. Posted at 2018-4-7 04:22
Hi Dean,

Salute to your guts on trusting your Mavic Pro's barometer!

Hi Henry, thanks.
You raise a good point i was wondering about recently regarding the barometer which i must still research for a proper answer - perhaps you can help with this question:
When flying in sports mode ie sensors off - does this also disable the baro sensors?

Regarding the birds: they all behave differently.
The seagulls and black oyster catchers like to do mock dives but seem sensible and agile enough to stay clear.
The sacred ibis and hadedas needs a lot of fuel to fly and seem to be able to quickly work out when things are coming direct for them or not. I am not sure if they are tame or lazy but they do not fighten easily.
The other big bird (cant think its name right now) any it is one of two that live in this part of the lagoon. They are pretty old now - often they will fly onto the bow of boats going out of the small harbor - they do not worry about human activity and high pitch noises.
The cormorants on the boat seem to prefer swimming to flying - only things they seem happy to fly to is their next swimming spot or up to something to sun tan on.
I am glad you enjoyed the footage - thanks.
2018-4-7
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
First Officer
South Africa

GoldenSun Posted at 2018-4-7 05:04
Looking good! Have fun!

Thanks goldensun
2018-4-7
Use props
integer
First Officer
Flight distance : 113355784 ft
Greece

Good!!!
2018-4-7
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

Great footage, thank you!
2018-4-7
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
First Officer
South Africa

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-4-7 06:39
Great footage, thank you!

thank you wachtberger - real glad you enjoyed it
2018-4-7
Use props
GoldenSun
First Officer
Flight distance : 681903 ft
Poland

You're welcome!
2018-4-7
Use props
Henry M.Y.
Second Officer
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Bekaru MP UAV Posted at 2018-4-7 05:10
Hi Henry, thanks.
You raise a good point i was wondering about recently regarding the barometer which i must still research for a proper answer - perhaps you can help with this question:
When flying in sports mode ie sensors off - does this also disable the baro sensors?

Hi Dean,

AFAIK the barometer data is always taken by the flight controller of Mavic Pro regardless of which mode it is flying.

I love flying low over open water too. But the dynamic nature of Mavic Pro when flying, compounding other factors like wind, air temperature variations, and etc. all make me wonder how accurate the altitude of aircraft can be maintained closely over water with data from IMU, GPS and barometer but without VPS.

Happy flying.

Henry

2018-4-7
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
First Officer
South Africa

Henry M.Y. Posted at 2018-4-7 16:43
Hi Dean,

AFAIK the barometer data is always taken by the flight controller of Mavic Pro regardless of which mode it is flying.

Hi Henry - thanks for the answer.
Considering it does not switch off then i am back at my original thoughts about barometer from about 8 months ago.
I always wondered during those times when so many water landings were happening if the baro meter issue was possibly the result of localised shifts in temperature or humidity level
I never found a solid answer but thought perhaps that the idea of 'micro climate bursts" (my own way of describing and idea) could explain why the drones were getting conflicting altitude readings.
you know how sometimes it can be a certain type of day (lets say warm and nice) and then suddenly a cold snap can pass through) - well i imagined that this could affect barometer. by extension i thought maybe then that a drone flying through a cold area or cold patch or patch with varying humidity could result in confused or conflicting high readings and (if so) that eventually when the drone ended up going with the barometer that it was the wrong data to go with , resulting in sudden drops of height.

Of course it could just have been soft ware glitch - wasted so much time in my life trying to understand problems that eventually turned out to be nothing more than software problems.
Thanks for your reply to my question.
2018-4-7
Use props
Henry M.Y.
Second Officer
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Bekaru MP UAV Posted at 2018-4-7 23:28
Hi Henry - thanks for the answer.
Considering it does not switch off then i am back at my original thoughts about barometer from about 8 months ago.
I always wondered during those times when so many water landings were happening if the baro meter issue was possibly the result of localised shifts in temperature or humidity level

In Hong Kong where we live there are a lot of black kites that are able to ride on rising warm air columns reaching thousands of feet above open sea or mountains without flapping any of their wings during bright sunshine. I don't know much about meteorology but such observations make me wonder how vigorous and how different the vertical air movements at different locations over open sea can be.

It appears to me there can be big variations of air densities, temperatures and pressures amongst different portions of the dynamically moving air, hence refraining me from 100% trusting the altitude readings when flying low above open water.

That was why I saluted to your guts as demonstrated in your video 'In-between the rain'.

Happy flying.

Henry
2018-4-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules