Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Battery Error: 63% to 0% and Landed
12Next >
45825 41 2018-4-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
apcyberax
lvl.4
Flight distance : 566526 ft
United Kingdom

I just had a scare on my second battery. Flying along and the battery was at 60% then dropped to 0% and the AC landed. I used the find my drone to recovery it but second day and first use of that battery.

I've charged the battery again and hovered in the back yard and got it to 10% and auto land so i do not know what happened. Anyone have any ideas.

The video on the drone shows when it attempted to land when it though it had 0% if hovered just above the ground for about 10 minutes. Then the video stops so i assume it just dropped from about 1 meter.

I'll be testing the battery hovering a few more times but has anyone seen this form a brand new battery. It was its first charge.

2018-4-7
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft

Glad that there was no serious crash and you got your AC back! Would you mind uploading your flightrecord of that flight to this site http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/ and share the link with us? Maybe it can provide some explanations.
2018-4-7
Use props
apcyberax
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Logs from phone http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/3XRNZQZ8Y8LCYFKZJ58R/

thanks
2018-4-7
Use props
lomo2017
lvl.4

United States

That is scary. Good thing you were above an open field. Would be different if it was above water.
Can you tell us what the firmware is on the craft and the battery? There was one thread with the same problem, believe it was a MP.
2018-4-7
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

Yeah really scary that you are good one second then all of a sudden battery drops like that.  I for one would NOT use that battery again but I would open a case with DJI and send it to them immediately.  Sorry but a $80 battery is not worth a $900 bird.
2018-4-7
Use props
apcyberax
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Indeed it was. I was pushing it way to hard for a first flight on the battery but in that nice open area i couldn't stop myself.
The other weird thing is it hovered for a good 7 minutes on one video and then i have a 2gb file that is corrupt so guessing that was the battery dieing and it landing. So the battery must of had the charge in it.

One for the DJI Admins. Will you replace the battery even if the problem can't repeated. I'm not sure i'd trust the battery to use after this on its first use?

2018-4-7
Use props
totalitarian
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Was it cold?
2018-4-7
Use props
apcyberax
lvl.4
United Kingdom

not really it was about 10c
2018-4-7
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

apcyberax Posted at 2018-4-7 06:25

thanks

A very weird one this. Could it not be that because you started of from sport mode it caused that sudden drain on your battery? Should not have went from 60% to 0% like that though.
2018-4-7
Use props
DJT_MVSP
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2018645 ft

This is the third time I've seen this issue on the Air. Do not ever use this battery again. You have to send it to DJI and they will replace it under warranty.
2018-4-7
Use props
Landbo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 502792 ft
Denmark

apcyberax Posted at 2018-4-7 06:25

thanks

Hi.

There are a lot of threads around Mavic Air with the same problem here at the forum within the last week. Although the app reports 0%, there is a lot of power on the battery. Expecting there will soon be a firmware update to Mavic Air.

There is nothing that indicates your battery fails since the voltage on the three cells is the same and normal.

Regards Leif.
2018-4-7
Use props
LoSBoL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 666483 ft
Netherlands

what firmware were you running?
2018-4-7
Use props
apcyberax
lvl.4
United Kingdom

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-4-7 07:42
what firmware were you running?

Well i assume its hte latest i'll check when next connected but it did all its updates when i set it up.
2018-4-7
Use props
apcyberax
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Opened a case and returning the battery. Might be a firmware bug but i'm not sure i'd feel safe using it again.
2018-4-7
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

has anyone seen this form a brand new battery  

Do a Google search for this problem.  Other people have experienced this problem.
2018-4-7
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

apcyberax Posted at 2018-4-7 06:54
Indeed it was. I was pushing it way to hard for a first flight on the battery but in that nice open area i couldn't stop myself.
The other weird thing is it hovered for a good 7 minutes on one video and then i have a 2gb file that is corrupt so guessing that was the battery dieing and it landing. So the battery must of had the charge in it.

Which is what makes me suspicious that Mavic's firmware has a bug in it.  A bug that causes Mavic to believe battery is nearly depleted when battery still has a half its power.

One person braved flying again with same battery.  The person tried hovering for a while, then short hops, then longer flights.  Found nothing wrong with battery.  
2018-4-7
Use props
apcyberax
lvl.4
United Kingdom

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-4-7 08:21
Which is what makes me suspicious that Mavic's firmware has a bug in it.  A bug that causes Mavic to believe battery is nearly depleted when battery still has a half its power.

One person braved flying again with same battery.  The person tried hovering for a while, then short hops, then longer flights.  Found nothing wrong with battery.

I charged and hovered it twice and had no problem. I opened a case in the hope that DJI would tell me if it was a big and not the battery but got an automatic request to ship the battery back.

Would still be nice for one of the DJI Staff to confirm so i can cancel the return if its wasting both mine and DJI time.
2018-4-7
Use props
totalitarian
lvl.3
United Kingdom

It's not unique to the Air, I hear phantom 4 users had the same issue.
2018-4-7
Use props
msinger
First Officer
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

totalitarian Posted at 2018-4-7 08:45

Got a link to any of those incidents?
2018-4-7
Use props
Landbo
lvl.4
Denmark

totalitarian Posted at 2018-4-7 08:45

I have only read about when the battery is electrically / mechanically defective on Phantom 4. Where do you have your knowledge from ?   

Regards Leif.
2018-4-7
Use props
QuadKid
Second Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

This is only the 2nd time I have read of this malfunction, it was posted Here awhile back.
2018-4-7
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

apcyberax Posted at 2018-4-7 08:06
Opened a case and returning the battery. Might be a firmware bug but i'm not sure i'd feel safe using it again.

Good idea - that would ruin my confidence for sure.
2018-4-7
Use props
EastyT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 970374 ft
United States

apcyberax Posted at 2018-4-7 08:27
I charged and hovered it twice and had no problem. I opened a case in the hope that DJI would tell me if it was a big and not the battery but got an automatic request to ship the battery back.

Would still be nice for one of the DJI Staff to confirm so i can cancel the return if its wasting both mine and DJI time.

You can rest assured that DJI will never admit a firmware problem causing this. They would rather needlessly replace your battery than admit this. This has been proven over and over.
2018-4-7
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer

I would suggest that before sending the battery back you send your blackbox data to DJI for analysis. They will then inform you on the further process. Exporting the blackbox data is done with DJI Assistant that you can find here: https://www.dji.com/mavic-air/info#downloads
2018-4-7
Use props
apcyberax
lvl.4
United Kingdom

will do. when i get home with a windows PC i'll export it from the AC. can't seem to get my mac to export it.

I was adviced to send hte battery in by DJI Support on facebook so i still might send it but i'm still going to see what the black box logged after by phone disconnected to see if it kept flying as the video seems to show
2018-4-7
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

hey cyberax - i will take a shot at a possibility which depends on a few assumptions i have made.
perhaps, if you were going full tilt sport mode into the wind on your way out that this over exertion on the battery caused it to overheat just enough or in the right place to cause damage to the battery intelligent circuits.
A warning notice indication that output power is being reduced (3min 54 sec) tells me that output was too high for too long and perhaps in constant adverse conditions/wind.Judging from your actual forward speed and my assumption you were in sport mode makes me think (if that is true) that you were flying into a strong head wind.
perhaps the processor was confused about which info it was receiving from the battery to be correct and eventually decided to rely on the 0% reading.
i see no reason to think it fell from a height but think it probably landed gently, albeit maybe in an undesirable location.
2018-4-7
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

Suren Posted at 2018-4-7 07:05
A very weird one this. Could it not be that because you started of from sport mode it caused that sudden drain on your battery? Should not have went from 60% to 0% like that though.

hi suren - my thinking is similar - see my post at # 27
2018-4-7
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

Bekaru MP UAV Posted at 2018-4-7 13:46
hey cyberax - i will take a shot at a possibility which depends on a few assumptions i have made.
perhaps, if you were going full tilt sport mode into the wind on your way out that this over exertion on the battery caused it to overheat just enough or in the right place to cause damage to the battery intelligent circuits.
A warning notice indication that output power is being reduced (3min 54 sec) tells me that output was too high for too long and perhaps in constant adverse conditions/wind.Judging from your actual forward speed and my assumption you were in sport mode makes me think (if that is true) that you were flying into a strong head wind.

That's sounds correct, we will get the same using the Pro and i have noticed the battery drain quite rapidly on the Pro if in full sport mode like OP from take off
2018-4-7
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Sorry for this case. First of all, did the drone hurt when you found it? Please arrange an overall inspection. Besides, may I know which firmware version are you using? Knowing that is the first use of the battery, if the firmware is the previous version before V01.00.0200, it is a known issue, update the firmware for both the drone and each battery to the latest version will fix this issue.
If you had already updated the drone and battery to the later version and this accident happened after the updated, please connect your drone to DJI Assistant 2, export all the data and upload to Dropbox, I will forward to our engineers for further checking. Please also added the screenshot firmware info.
If the drone has visual damage, I suggest sending the drone in for data analysis and repair.
2018-4-7
Use props
totalitarian
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Landbo Posted at 2018-4-7 10:54
I have only read about when the battery is electrically / mechanically defective on Phantom 4. Where do you have your knowledge from ?   

Regards Leif.

Drone film guide on youtube mentioned it in one of their videos around the 5:20 mark.
2018-4-8
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer

I believe you'll find the answer in this thread: https://forum.dji.com/thread-141380-1-1.html
2018-4-8
Use props
apcyberax
lvl.4
United Kingdom

you all seem right. after trying the battery again it updated the firmware. all other batteries were upto date.

I dont know why it didn't warn me when i attempted it first time.
2018-4-8
Use props
Landbo
lvl.4
Denmark

totalitarian Posted at 2018-4-8 00:18
Drone film guide on youtube mentioned it in one of their videos around the 5:20 mark.

From a 20% battery far from the place the man took off until he landed on the beach again with about 3-5% left on his battery is a typical pilot error and course due lack of experience. It has nothing to do with the problems Mavic Air owners now experience.  

Fly safe, Leif.
2018-4-8
Use props
Velmeri
lvl.1
Flight distance : 15587 ft
Finland

I had similiar issue with my 1st flight with fly more combo. Battery dropped from 53% -> 0% with one battery and drone started to land. Luckily I was right under it and could grap it before anything bad happened.   I think I didn't update the firmwares for all batteries since I didn't know that it needs to be done. RC and drone firmwares were updated but the DJI Go 4 app didn't suggest for me to update the batteries while I was doing my first flight and changing the batteries. I didn't restart the DJI Go 4 app while I was flying after I changed the batteries.

At home I closed and started the DJI Go 4 app completely between different batteries and that triggered the fw update to "peripheral device". I assume that was for the battery.

So is it safe to fly with the batteries after the FW update?

2018-4-9
Use props
Guido-Italy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 477008 ft
Italy

Hi to all looking the video I verified that I've not on top right application icon about power signal and working frequency, does someone have info?
2018-8-28
Use props
Ganeshchaturthi
lvl.1

India

Hanuman Kavach Posted at 8-29 02:04
Krishna Janmashtami is a Hindu festival. It celebrates the birth of Lord Krishna. Read further for more information on Janamashtami.
how to do janmashtami puja at home

the tortoise was seen as a spiritual symbol of longevity, and in feng shui turtle practice it has a variety of uses. to know more visit here.
fung Shui Turtle
2018-12-18
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

were you flying with a battery that had self discharged? I know that a self discharged battery might show 60% but as soon as you take off the bird will go into low voltage landing...
2018-12-18
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

were you flying with a battery that had self discharged? I know that a self discharged battery might show 60% but as soon as you take off the bird will go into low voltage landing...
2018-12-18
Use props
apcyberax
lvl.4
United Kingdom

R&L Aerial photography Posted at 12-18 03:51

No it was a brand new bird and had tha batteries charged. It later became clear that its a firmware bug. It didn't tell me at the time the battery firmware needed updating. Maybe due to mobile signal.
2018-12-18
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

apcyberax Posted at 12-18 04:09
No it was a brand new bird and had tha batteries charged. It later became clear that its a firmware bug. It didn't tell me at the time the battery firmware needed updating. Maybe due to mobile signal.

Well, fortunately everything turned out good for you
2018-12-18
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules