Selling my Phantom 4 Pro now what?
1816 22 2018-4-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Nightwind15
lvl.1

Hi
I need help in deciding what to get next.  I am tired of lugging my Phantom 4 Pro around and want a lighter smaller drone.  I just record scenery and have fun flying a drone.  The quality of the camera does matter but I am certainly no proffessional and this is just a fun hobby for me.  Money is not so much an object but I know the Phantom 4 Pro is super and I like to buy upscale to prevent buying twice.  Which drone would be first rate for me?  

Thanks to all in the forum.

Steve
2018-4-7
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have an MPP and a P4P and will be selling my P4P soon enough to a family member as I always use my MPP so totally understand your decision.
If money is not a concern I would recommend the MPP or wait for the MP2 (could be a very long wait though) or if you want an even smaller drone with great tech then look at getting the Mavic Air fly more combo.
2018-4-7
Use props
Aeromirage
First Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>

I suggest the Mavic Air.
I have one and love it.
I have had 2 Mavic Pros and had issues with them both. Plus, the gimbal is very delicate on the pro. Very easy to break.
That's my 2 cents.....
2018-4-7
Use props
Lamplighter55
Second Officer
Flight distance : 538596 ft
United Kingdom

The Air has the better camera but the MPP has the range and flight time. Whichever fits your needs best. Or just wait and then wait some more .... personally I don't think we'll be seeing a Mavic 2 until September.
2018-4-7
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

I have a Mavic Pro and Spark and think that owning these two drones gives me the best of both worlds. I get the awesome power and precision with the Mavic Pro, and I get the fast and tiny whooping experience with my Spark. Not to put any drones down, but owning a Mavic Air or another Phantom wouldn't be quite the same experience, albeit you want one drone and with that said you couldn't go wrong with the mighty Mavic Pro.
2018-4-7
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
  • >>>

Lamplighter55 Posted at 2018-4-7 12:02
The Air has the better camera but the MPP has the range and flight time. Whichever fits your needs best. Or just wait and then wait some more .... personally I don't think we'll be seeing a Mavic 2 until September.

I agree with you we may not see a Mavic Pro II until near Christmas time for the holidays. If DJI was intending to release it in time for Spring flying, then that window is almost closed and long gone.
2018-4-7
Use props
fansf77370fb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1008924 ft

I sold my MP. After buying a Inspire my MP just sat collecting dust.
2018-4-7
Use props
sky6105
Second Officer
Flight distance : 345653 ft
United States

I would buy a Mavic Air so easy to transport.
2018-4-7
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I own both the pro and the air and have no hesitation recommending both. fabulous drones.
2018-4-7
Use props
Nightwind15
lvl.1

Great advice all around.  I am leaning toward the Mavic Air just because of the size.   I fly my Phantom 4 Pro with my iPad and wonder if I can use it with the Mavic Air.  The bad thing living here in Alabama is there are no good places to see the drones and no groups that meet to fly.  Once in a while I run across a pilot but not very often.   My son in law has a spark and uses it in survey work for his company. He had a Phantom three and then went to the spark.   He told me I would love a Spark but I like more bells and whistles in most everything.  

Thank you all!
2018-4-7
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Yes you can use your ipad, just get yourself a good mavmount and longer cable and you will be fine using your ipad. (I use ipad mini 4 no issues)
2018-4-7
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

Yeah I think the MA would be great for you because it is extremely portable more so than the MP.  I have the MP and absolutely love it.  Really though the MA and MP camera quality is very much alike but will say as far as the focus and quality would lean more towards the MP to be honest.  Could not go wrong with either though.  
2018-4-7
Use props
Face-AcheNZ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 96631 ft
New Zealand

+1 for the Mavic Air.

The Fly More combo comes with a good quality bag that comfortably fits the drone, controller, 3 batteries and charger/cables. I bought a new bag for NZD$30 from Aliexpress that has a compartment for the controller which allows me to leave the sticks on, and will also take my mavmount, leg extensions/landing gear, cables, and iPad Air - but it’s still super-compact and portable.

I only have the Mavic Air, and have never used a Mavic Pro, but it really sounds like either drone will meet your requirements.
2018-4-7
Use props
Bill B
lvl.4
Flight distance : 319245 ft
United States

PRO........!!! Air is junk. You'll be sorry if go with the Air. The pro offers so much more in flight distance and stability of the connection to the controller. If you JUST have to have the air, I would recommend you wait until it is a few months older and more FW updates have been put out. I am Hoping a future FW update will correct my constant disconnecting issues with the controller. There are a lot of folks here that have had good luck with the Air,,,,, I am not one of them.

Good luck in which ever one you choose, But, in my thought process, coming off a P4P, to a mavic air will be extremely unsatisfying to you.
2018-4-7
Use props
Nightwind15
lvl.1

Bill, I was so hoping this would be really cut and dried for the MA but obviously not.  Now I am thinking about the Mavic pro vs platinum.  research research...........
2018-4-8
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

Mavic Pro
2018-4-8
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-4-7 12:21
I have a Mavic Pro and Spark and think that owning these two drones gives me the best of both worlds. I get the awesome power and precision with the Mavic Pro, and I get the fast and tiny whooping experience with my Spark. Not to put any drones down, but owning a Mavic Air or another Phantom wouldn't be quite the same experience, albeit you want one drone and with that said you couldn't go wrong with the mighty Mavic Pro.

Could not agree more with you
2018-4-8
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Suren Posted at 2018-4-8 11:45
Could not agree more with you

Ah yes in agreement. We have that problem don't we?

2018-4-8
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Nightwind15 Posted at 2018-4-8 03:25
Bill, I was so hoping this would be really cut and dried for the MA but obviously not.  Now I am thinking about the Mavic pro vs platinum.  research research...........

The increased cost of the Mavic Pro Platinum isn't justifiable versus the drop in price for the original Mavic Pro. Go with the Mavic Pro, but if you want a great deal, you don't need to purchase the Mavic Pro Platinum to get 99.9% of Mavic Pro benefits.

Take the great opportunity to purchase a Mavic Pro ($999) with additional battery ($89) from DJI for $899. That is $200 of savings now. The Mavic Air is not selling for a discount at its original retail price of $799. You can get the Mavic Pro for the same price as the Air.

The Air is just a WiFi drone while the OcuSync of the Mavic Pro is a more proprietary technology from DJI. It has way better range and connection, it barely ever disconnects (unless you fly 4+ miles), and the battery life is way longer than the Air. The Mavic Pro, at the end of the day, helps to dwarf the Mavic Air, in all ways its compared except in size.
2018-4-8
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nightwind15 Posted at 2018-4-8 03:25

I would say Bill's had a rough go with the MA.  I read his story earlier.   My time with the MA has been faultless.  I would even wager to say it's DJI's best overall drone, but everyone is going to have a different opinion.  I own all the drones mentioned and the MA has really become my go to, although the MP is still one of my favorites.  I would say if you go the MP route, skip the MPP as its price over an MP isn't justifiable.
2018-4-8
Use props
Balistarama
New
Flight distance : 117802 ft
Australia

Maybe just wait for the rumoured Mavic Pro II instead? It's said to come out around June which really isn't that long away and is supposed to be basically a bigger MP (so kind of like the P4P) but at the same time foldable so more portable.
2018-4-8
Use props
Nightwind15
lvl.1

Balistarama Posted at 2018-4-8 18:01
Maybe just wait for the rumoured Mavic Pro II instead? It's said to come out around June which really isn't that long away and is supposed to be basically a bigger MP (so kind of like the P4P) but at the same time foldable so more portable.

Ok, Mavic Pro is the choice! Now to find the best deal with an extra battery or two.  Let me know where to go! I will buy online because there are no drone dealers near me in Alabama.  Usually like to buy local when I can.  My P4P is on eBay and will sell so I am on to a new adventure with the Mavic Pro.  

Thank you all for helping me make this choice and down the road I will likely try a MA.  
2018-4-9
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nightwind15 Posted at 2018-4-9 03:57
Ok, Mavic Pro is the choice! Now to find the best deal with an extra battery or two.  Let me know where to go! I will buy online because there are no drone dealers near me in Alabama.  Usually like to buy local when I can.  My P4P is on eBay and will sell so I am on to a new adventure with the Mavic Pro.  

Thank you all for helping me make this choice and down the road I will likely try a MA.

With so many amazing drones to choose from you really couldn't go wrong with which everyone you decided to get.
The price drop on the MP has definitely made it a great bang for buck purchase but the difference between the MP and MPP is not just cosmetic (as with the obsidian). The MPP has upgraded ESC's which do make it noticeably quieter and gives added minutes of extra flight time per battery. In my experience of owning the original MP and now the MPP the drone does feel very different - as many MPP reviewers and owners will tell you. I had gimbal disconnect issues, focus issues, erratic VPS with my first MP yet not a single 'bug' with the MPP in over 20 hours of flight time. I constantly get 25-28 minute flight times and can't hear it 200' away. As I previously said, if money is not high up on your list of priorities then do consider the MPP. No, it is not worth the extra £300 now but you will get more out of it than just a paint job for that added payment. Coming from a P4P you may find the added minutes to be similar to what you are use to. Enjoy whichever one you get.
2018-4-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules