P4 digital zoom.
1592 17 2018-4-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_zUQ9JbysumUX
lvl.2
Flight distance : 266 ft
Spain

Hi I've been practicing flying in atti  mode to be prepaid  in case somthing wierd happens In  GPS  mode. I know nothing about camera's. Need to learn to fly completely then I shall   go into  camera's but on the p4 there in no digital zoom. I'm I right in saying that ive seen a demo of zoom on you tube. its only on the pro?

2018-4-7
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

No Phantom camera has any kind of zoom
2018-4-7
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Maybe on the next phantom series.
2018-4-7
Use props
VE7ABR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 317651 ft
Canada

There is 2 times didgatal zoom with p4 standard with iPad just swipe 2 fingers in or out
2018-4-7
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

There is only the pre-focus zoom only the p4p on android and thats only when it can be bothered to do it lol
2018-4-7
Use props
JockC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 459416 ft

Labroides Posted at 2018-4-7 16:36
No Phantom camera has any kind of zoom

Maybe not the camera itself but what about the DJI Go app digital zoom when pinching the iPad screen? That may be what the OP is seeking and almost certainly what he had seen on Youtube.
2018-4-7
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

JockC Posted at 2018-4-7 21:00
Maybe not the camera itself but what about the DJI Go app digital zoom when pinching the iPad screen? That may be what the OP is seeking and almost certainly what he had seen on Youtube.

There's no zoom on the camera and any pinching on the app is just cropping off some of the image and not really zooming anyway.
2018-4-7
Use props
JockC
Second Officer

Labroides Posted at 2018-4-7 21:26
There's no zoom on the camera and any pinching on the app is just cropping off some of the image and not really zooming anyway.

I think that's exactly what I said. It is a digital zoom and often very useful
2018-4-7
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I do not have than on Android..... The Mavic Pro has a zoom feature
2018-4-7
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

JockC Posted at 2018-4-7 21:33
I think that's exactly what I said. It is a digital zoom and often very useful

Digital zoom is junk.
It's not zoom at all, it's just enlarging the centre of the image which you can do for your self in Photoshop.
2018-4-7
Use props
JockC
Second Officer

Labroides Posted at 2018-4-7 22:23
Digital zoom is junk.
It's not zoom at all, it's just enlarging the centre of the image which you can do for your self in Photoshop.

In your opinion possibly but you only speak for yourself. Other people, including myself, find the digital zoom on the DJI Go app to be very useful from time to time.
2018-4-7
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

JockC Posted at 2018-4-7 23:28
In your opinion possibly but you only speak for yourself. Other people, including myself, find the digital zoom on the DJI Go app to be very useful from time to time.

But of course ... what would I know.
I've hardly learned a thing in 40 years of photography.
Go ahead and enjoy your veryuseful digital zoom.
2018-4-8
Use props
JockC
Second Officer

Labroides Posted at 2018-4-8 00:04
But of course ... what would I know.
I've hardly learned a thing in 40 years of photography.
Go ahead and enjoy your veryuseful digital zoom.

It’s not for you to decide what is good or bad in the opinion of other posters.  I find the digital zoom particularly useful on occasions  when it’s not safe to fly close to an area or object. It’s clearly  not as good as an optical zoom but it does enable a closer view of the subject.
2018-4-8
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

JockC Posted at 2018-4-8 00:36
It’s not for you to decide what is good or bad in the opinion of other posters.  I find the digital zoom particularly useful on occasions  when it’s not safe to fly close to an area or object. It’s clearly  not as good as an optical zoom but it does enable a closer view of the subject.

Jock .. your very useful digital zoom simply crops the image.
You can do that in any image editor.
But if you're impressed with that ...  I wouldn't dare decide what's good or bad for you.

For anyone else, digital zoom is a marketing gimmick that not worth anything.
2018-4-8
Use props
fans417abfbd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 434593 ft

As said, digital zoom isn’t really zoom at all. It does have its uses in that it will allow you to see your subject more “close up” by cropping in on your device while filming but that’s about it
2018-4-8
Use props
fans52cfa4bf
lvl.4

Does this help. Shot in 4K and used Woundershare to edit.
2018-4-8
Use props
JockC
Second Officer

fans417abfbd Posted at 2018-4-8 00:53
As said, digital zoom isn’t really zoom at all. It does have its uses in that it will allow you to see your subject more “close up” by cropping in on your device while filming but that’s about it

Exactly right and that’s exactly how I use it per my previous post. Editing software can also do the job after the event but it doesn’t help at all in real time.
2018-4-8
Use props
DroneGuyEd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1168140 ft
  • >>>
United States

From Wiki:

"Digital zoom is a method of decreasing the apparent angle of view of a digital photographic or video image. Digital zoom is accomplished by cropping an image down to a centered area with the same aspect ratio as the original, and usually also interpolating the result back up to the pixel dimensions of the original. It is accomplished electronically, with no adjustment of the camera's optics, and no optical resolution is gained in the process.[1]"

So yes, with an iPad...it exists and provides a closer image when used.  It's up to the user to determine when digital zoom is useful and when its not.  When you are flying. tools like Photoshop are not a player.  I find it useful at times.
2018-4-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules