Problem after iOS update to 11.3 or potential HW issue?
1165 12 2018-4-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Kotsev
lvl.3
Flight distance : 135387 ft
Bulgaria

Hi all,

yesterday morning I've updated my iPhone iOS to 11.3 and decided to take my Mavic Air for a spin. After automatic takeoff the aircraft reached the usual 1-1.5 meters and started shaking in the air accompanied by weird noise. On the app I  saw error saying something like "extra load or propeller guards are detected" but it was not the case. I landed immediately and checked the propellers but no issue was visible. I performed secondary attempt and lost connection to the aircraft at around 50 meters but hopefully it returned to home point safe. I've hanged the location even I was not able to find any Wi-Fi networks around that could interfere. The story repeated - lost connection and RTH. Today I tested the drone again at a completely different location was not able to calibrate it. I got message saying something like "Detected high magnetic field. Error in calibration ...etc." and I was afraid even to try to take off and shut it down. My iOS, app and drone are with latest official firmware. Can the reason be the latest iOS update or faulty aircraft/remote? Thanks in advanse!

Regards,
Emil
2018-4-8
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

my iPhone 6 plus and craft are also on the latest firmware and I have no such issues.  I would check and recheck your propellers that they are secured in correctly.  When doing a calibration you need to ensure you are not near any metal objects.  Also when flying turn off your WiFi from your iPhone and any watches or anything else that may have wifi.  Try this and see what happens after if you are able to calibrate and fly with no issues.
2018-4-8
Use props
Kotsev
lvl.3
Bulgaria

Just re-tested again. Before I was able to calibrate the drone at my home but now it's not possible still I receive this message for magnetic objects. I have calibrated my drone several times already so I am sure I am doing it right. Also I can hear him repeat something like "Adi mode" can't see it anywhere on the screen to understand what is the first word before mode. Also I've re-checked the propellers and all is properly connected (I haven't removed them so far). I performed several take offs and landings inside my house (I know it's not recommended) and so far I can't get this strange shaking in the air. Now checking my flight records I can re-call that the last 2 times he lost connectivity when I attempted to do asteroid mood photo. He starts to go higher backwards and looses connectivity. I will try again tomorrow in the park at home where I've flew at least 20 times. On the app I can see aircraft status normal to all sections. I am running the DJI Go 4 on iPhone 8.
2018-4-8
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
United States

ATTI mode means no GPS which is normal if inside so would not worry about that.  I would go out somewhere in like a field or park or something not near anything and attempt.  Do you have a new smart watch or something of the sort?  Ensure your controller and iphone are far enough away maybe.  
2018-4-8
Use props
Kotsev
lvl.3
Bulgaria

SparksBird Posted at 2018-4-8 09:17
ATTI mode means no GPS which is normal if inside so would not worry about that.  I would go out somewhere in like a field or park or something not near anything and attempt.  Do you have a new smart watch or something of the sort?  Ensure your controller and iphone are far enough away maybe.

Hi, thanks for the explanation about ATTI mode. I have removed all metal objects in 2 meter radius from the drone (even coins). I have removed my wedding ring from my hand also. I don't use smart watch but removed my mechanical watch as it's also metal. The remote and phone were left on the table at least 1.5 meters from the drone and my wife was telling me when to spin it vertically or horizontally. I was spinning it at least 1 meter from the ground first time faster and second time slower spins. I guess the last resort should be to try it in the park as you recommended but will do it tomorrow morning. Will share my findings again tomorrow morning.
2018-4-8
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
United States

Kotsev Posted at 2018-4-8 09:23
Hi, thanks for the explanation about ATTI mode. I have removed all metal objects in 2 meter radius from the drone (even coins). I have removed my wedding ring from my hand also. I don't use smart watch but removed my mechanical watch as it's also metal. The remote and phone were left on the table at least 1.5 meters from the drone and my wife was telling me when to spin it vertically or horizontally. I was spinning it at least 1 meter from the ground first time faster and second time slower spins. I guess the last resort should be to try it in the park as you recommended but will do it tomorrow morning. Will share my findings again tomorrow morning.

Inside the house you could have a ton of medal around, in the ground, etc.  Not saying there is not an issue but need to rule that out because if it is near medal then that will cause a calibration problem.  
2018-4-8
Use props
Kotsev
lvl.3
Bulgaria

SparksBird Posted at 2018-4-8 09:31
Inside the house you could have a ton of medal around, in the ground, etc.  Not saying there is not an issue but need to rule that out because if it is near medal then that will cause a calibration problem.

Hi, just done a stupid test but it worked.... I've deleted the DJI GO 4 app and installed it again. Afterwards the drone calibrated successfully. Tomorrow I will take it out for a spin and see if the asteroid mode works also but I think the problem is solved on first glance! Took him out of the ground like 20 times so far and no strange behavior!  
2018-4-8
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
United States

Kotsev Posted at 2018-4-8 09:50
Hi, just done a stupid test but it worked.... I've deleted the DJI GO 4 app and installed it again. Afterwards the drone calibrated successfully. Tomorrow I will take it out for a spin and see if the asteroid mode works also but I think the problem is solved on first glance! Took him out of the ground like 20 times so far and no strange behavior!

Very good to hear I wonder if you had some setting in there that made it weird.  And deleting and reinstalling the app reset it.  Very good to know that fixed your issue.  So glad nothing is wrong with your bird.  
2018-4-8
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

SparksBird Posted at 2018-4-8 11:09
Very good to hear I wonder if you had some setting in there that made it weird.  And deleting and reinstalling the app reset it.  Very good to know that fixed your issue.  So glad nothing is wrong with your bird.

Not sure if for the air the App also has a function that allows one to turn on/off when you have propeller guards/cage on, that could have been the cause for the vibration and the errors on take off.
2018-4-8
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
United States

Suren Posted at 2018-4-8 11:18
Not sure if for the air the App also has a function that allows one to turn on/off when you have propeller guards/cage on, that could have been the cause for the vibration and the errors on take off.

Very good point.  Would that have also caused it not to be able to calibrate after the fact?
2018-4-8
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

SparksBird Posted at 2018-4-8 11:19
Very good point.  Would that have also caused it not to be able to calibrate after the fact?

Very unsure about that.
2018-4-8
Use props
Kotsev
lvl.3
Bulgaria

Hey, I would like to confirm that re-install of the app seems to solved this issue. Today I made successful calibration in the park, done 3 asteroid mode shoots and even performed few sport mode runs without absolutely no issue. The bird was stable as it was before and all working perfectly fine. Glad nothing is wrong with the drone!
2018-4-9
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hey Kotsev, thanks for keeping us updated. It's nice to know the issue has been figured out. Wish you have a good time on flying the drone. If there is any further question, feel free to contact us.
2018-4-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules