Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Crashed Mavic Air on first flight :(
3917 20 2018-4-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RealMaverick
New
United Kingdom

I took my Mavic Air out for it's first flight today and tried the boomerang feature.

The Air did a much bigger than expected 360, but I figured it would be fine regardless with the obstacle avoidance. Sadly it hit a branch and crashed, hitting the grass below.

I actually thought it was going to be fine, but sadly it landed funny on one of it's legs, bending it out of shape. Now when I turned it on, the propellers touch slightly. See attached photo.

Have I broken it beyond repair? or is that it will be a repair so costly it won't be worthwhile doing?

I'm feeling pretty devestated right now, but I guess nothing much I can do beyond hope I can get it repaired.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
62111543-c917-4370-b933-3d3b731c092d.jpg
2018-4-8
Use props
ghostrdr
First Officer
Flight distance : 1272723 ft
United States

That needs to be repaired. You would feel terrible if a damaged aircraft caused an incident where someone was hurt. Did you buy the care refresh program when you purchased the Mavic?
2018-4-8
Use props
SparksBird
Captain
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

Yeah do not fly it again until it is repaired.  Hopefully you got the DJI care.  If not not sure how much it would be but would be cheaper than buying a new one I am sure.  
2018-4-8
Use props
Buzzyone
Captain
Flight distance : 4647913 ft
  • >>>

Start a case with DJI and get it in for repair. Looks like the securing screw that holds the leg on to the axle has snapped. The leg will detach if you try to fly it.
2018-4-8
Use props
RealMaverick
New
United Kingdom

There was nobody but myself and my partner in the vicinity, so no chance of anybody getting hurt.

I didn't buy the care refresh, as I was advised it was a waste of time, as "these things never crash". Unfortunate advice I guess.

My fear now is that they're going to say the entire body needs replacing, which will obviously be unrealistic and end up on Gumtree for spares or repair
2018-4-8
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13395489 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

Agreed, do not fly it again till repaired, could cause more damage to the drone or worse a person. Be very careful next time where you flying and always take your surroundings into account before flying and trying new things.
2018-4-8
Use props
RealMaverick
New
United Kingdom

Suren Posted at 2018-4-8 11:31
Agreed, do not fly it again till repaired, could cause more damage to the drone or worse a person. Be very careful next time where you flying and always take your surroundings into account before flying and trying new things.

There genuinely seemed like a massive amount of space. But I guess I didn't know how big a circle this thing was going to make.

I definitely won't be flying again until it is repaired, assuming it's even possible or its not unrealistically expensive.
2018-4-8
Use props
M2Wair
Captain
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

There is a dji page that will give you an estimate costing. I am on my phone so can't link it. Repairs won't break the bank and worth doing
2018-4-8
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

RealMaverick Posted at 2018-4-8 11:34
There genuinely seemed like a massive amount of space. But I guess I didn't know how big a circle this thing was going to make.

I definitely won't be flying again until it is repaired, assuming it's even possible or its not unrealistically expensive.

Has mentioned above should not be that expensive, if you do not have care check if there is a local repair centre near you
2018-4-8
Use props
Ardenno
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1877910 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Bad driver
2018-4-8
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ouch - sorry to see that and on your first flight too - expensive mistake. As others have said, best to ship it back than take any chances.
2018-4-8
Use props
SparksBird
Captain
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

Suren Posted at 2018-4-8 11:38
Has mentioned above should not be that expensive, if you do not have care check if there is a local repair centre near you

Yeah much cheaper than buying a new one for sure.  
2018-4-8
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

SparksBird Posted at 2018-4-8 11:46
Yeah much cheaper than buying a new one for sure.

2018-4-8
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

We have seen this type of damage before and it is definitely worth repairing. But what will be much more worthy once your Air will be fixed, is that you take the appropriate time to fly it simply in open field and get to know it better. Once you feel confident with manual flying, you may slowly start with all the extras.
2018-4-8
Use props
RealMaverick
New
United Kingdom

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-4-8 12:19
We have seen this type of damage before and it is definitely worth repairing. But what will be much more worthy once your Air will be fixed, is that you take the appropriate time to fly it simply in open field and get to know it better. Once you feel confident with manual flying, you may slowly start with all the extras.

Yeah. I really did think I had so much open space. If it is repairable, the next time, it will be in the biggest open field I can find.
2018-4-8
Use props
FlyDK
Captain
Flight distance : 1636286 ft
Denmark

Sorry to read about your accident. Hope you get it repaired quickly and at a reasonable price. Great idea with the open field next time, until you know your drone.
2018-4-8
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

RealMaverick Posted at 2018-4-8 12:21
Yeah. I really did think I had so much open space. If it is repairable, the next time, it will be in the biggest open field I can find.

Open space can be deceptive. Flip your MA into Sport mode and hit 42.5MPH on a windless day and you'll cover a distance of 500m in less than 30 seconds...
2018-4-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

RealMaverick Posted at 2018-4-8 11:34

In intelligent modes in areas where there are obstacles you should always be ready to cancel you can use the x on your app or pause button.
It definitely looks like it can be easily repaired if there is no problem with gimbal and camera cost may not be to high.
2018-4-8
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Hi, I'm sorry to hear about the accident. Please kindly start a case and send it in for full diagnosis: https://www.dji.com/support. If you encounter any difficulties during the repair progress, feel free to contact us with your case number, we'll be here for help.
2018-4-8
Use props
Tomi Pellet
New

Chile

Hi.
Today i crashed my drone and had the same same problem.
Where you able to fix it?
What did you do?
Was it expensive?
Did ot take long?
Anything helps!
2019-6-21
Use props
Tomi Pellet
New

Chile

Hi.
Today i crashed my drone and had the same same problem.
Where you able to fix it?
What did you do?
Was it expensive?
Did ot take long?
Anything helps!
2019-6-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules