DJI Repair Estimate - Firmware and Video Problem
1387 10 2018-4-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Imageer
New
Canada

Hi, I sent my P3P (out of warranty but like new with only a few flights  and never crashed) to DJI because I couldn't update firmware or connect  transmitter-drone after not using it for a while, and I got this  estimate:
Total Payment: 278.00
Item                                                  Quantity  Unit Price (USD)   Total Price (USD)
Remote Controller Back Port Board        1            4.00                    4.00
Phantom 3 Professional Gimbal
Yaw-axis Video Downlink Main Board     1            144.00                 144.00
Repair Service Fee                               2            65.00/H               130.0

I've searched through the forum and it seems there are *many* people that had similar problems with firmware update and video connection  issues, and in some posts DJI reps acknowledge firmware update caused video hardware failure (like https://forum.dji.com/thread-59246-1-1.html)
but unfortunately it won't be repaired for free even though it's a well documented manufacturer problem!
If the drone had been crashed or even well used I'd understand $278 repair estimate, but being in like new condition, it seems excessive even if out of warranty.
Does it really take 2 hours for experienced techs to replace two  easily accessed boards? Did anyone else get similar estimate?
I'd certainly appreciate any info/advice on dealing with this repair...
Thanks!
2018-4-8
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

'and in some posts DJI reps acknowledge firmware update caused video hardware failure'

Ignore that. It is simply not possible for a firmware update to cause a hardware fault. It is just urban BS.
2018-4-8
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

You probably won't find anyone else to do the repair cheaper.  Plus, you can be sure it is fully repaired.
2018-4-8
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi Imageer, if the drone has been out of warranty period, sorry that we are unable to provide the warranty service. For the service fee, it is not only replacing two boards, but also including the whole repair process like check-in the package, damage assessment, repair, quality evaluation, flight test and so on, your understanding would be highly appreciated.
2018-4-8
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Generally, the firmware update will not cause the hardware glitches. And we're sorry that paid service is required if the unit has been out of the warranty. I managed to get your case number via the forum info and report this to the right team for further review. They will double check and see whether there are any better solutions. Appreciate your patience.
2018-4-8
Use props
Annelie Diederiks
New

South Africa

I don't understand how the user is expected to pay to replace a piece of hardware after a firmware update has caused a problem.

It does not make sense that a firmware or software problem can only be corrected by a hardware replacement! But it seems to happen regularly and dji knows this and still charges customers to have théír problem fixed.
2019-4-8
Use props
rokz
lvl.1
Ireland

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-4-8 18:26
Generally, the firmware update will not cause the hardware glitches. And we're sorry that paid service is required if the unit has been out of the warranty. I managed to get your case number via the forum info and report this to the right team for further review. They will double check and see whether there are any better solutions. Appreciate your patience.

Hi Susan.hoping you may help as i just purchased a dji drone mavic air privately today and must admit was unable to test.It seams to have a problem upgrading firmware and  the light is constantly red.It has no signs of any damage and in really good condition.It is a presant for my son.Any ideas as to update the firmware as have tried 15 times and keeps coming back with errors...thanks in advance and keep safe  Dave
2021-5-4
Use props
rokz
lvl.1
Ireland

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-4-8 18:26

Hi Susan.hoping you may help as i just purchased a dji drone mavic air privately today and must admit was unable to test.It seams to have a problem upgrading firmware and  the light is constantly red.It has no signs of any damage and in really good condition.It is a presant for my son.Any ideas as to update the firmware as have tried 15 times and keeps coming back with errors...thanks in advance and keep safe  Dave
2021-5-4
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

rokz Posted at 5-4 15:07

Hi Dave, I'm sorry to hear about the difficulties that you encountered. You are recommended to refer to the "DJI - Mavic Air Tutorials, Part 10: Updating Firmware" tutorial video on our official web: https://www.dji.com/mavic-air/info#video to try the update again. If the issue still persists, please record a video to show us the details of the problem, we'd like to help you check it. Thanks.
2021-5-5
Use props
rokz
lvl.1
Ireland

DJI Susan Posted at 5-5 00:41
Hi Dave, I'm sorry to hear about the difficulties that you encountered. You are recommended to refer to the "DJI - Mavic Air Tutorials, Part 10: Updating Firmware" tutorial video on our official web: https://www.dji.com/mavic-air/info#video to try the update again. If the issue still persists, please record a video to show us the details of the problem, we'd like to help you check it. Thanks.

Super will do thanks hoping to fix as  his birthday is on the 14th.Must admit i would have liked to buy a new one but with covid ect unable.Good news is we are slowly getting back to normal.Keep safe
2021-5-5
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

rokz Posted at 5-5 00:50
Super will do thanks hoping to fix as  his birthday is on the 14th.Must admit i would have liked to buy a new one but with covid ect unable.Good news is we are slowly getting back to normal.Keep safe

You're most welcome. Stay safe and healthy.
2021-5-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules