Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Failsafe RTH when in autonmous flight mode
609 3 2018-4-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
wataero
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1719619 ft
United States

I have a question for the DJI experts.

The manual (v1.4) says that "Failsafe RTH" is activated if the aircraft loses remote controller for more than 3 seconds.
What if the aircraft is currently executing an intelligent flight mode such as POI or waypoint?  Does it exit out of intelligent flight mode after the 3 seconds?
Manual then says aircraft will retrace its original flight route home.  Does this mean it doesn't execute Smart RTH and go to RTH altitude and return directly to home point?
It also says it will hover for 10 seconds at its current location.  Which location, location where it lost contact or location where it regained contact?

Our local police department just bought a ITI "DroneKiller" which disrupts RC link and although I plan to never get in that situation i want to know exactly what to expect.

Thanks,

2018-4-8
Use props
Nigel_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

Best way to understand is to test it, you can cut the link by turning off the controller.

It should not matter which mode it is in.
It will only retrace it's route for a short time (30 seconds) while trying to regain signal, if that fails then it will do a normal RTH at RTH altitude in a straight line.
I think the 10 seconds is after regaining contact, if the pilot doesn't operate the controls during the 10 seconds then it will RTH, I haven't tested that though...

"DroneKiller" - shooting flying aircraft out of the sky is highly dangerous and irresponsible, disconnecting the pilot from the controls is just as dangerous!  Don't expect such devices to get much use unless you decide to hover over the presidential motorcade or something equivalently stupid!
2018-4-8
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hey Wataero, I'm sorry for the confusion, please kindly find the answer as below:
1. If the RC signal lost during POI or Waypoints, the drone will continue to execute the task. Smart RTH will be triggered if the battery level is too low. Therefore, it will be better to choose an open place and set a proper RTH altitude.
2. If the RC signal lost, the drone will stay in the original place(where the RC signal lost) for 3 seconds. Then retrace its original flight route and go home. During the process, the drone will keep trying to connect the RC. Once the drone and RC connected again, the drone will hover for 10 seconds if you do not push the sticks. Then go to the RTH altitude and return directly to the home point.
2018-4-9
Use props
wataero
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1719619 ft
United States

Susan - Thanks for the clarification, that helps.  One more question if I may,  If the aircraft is executing Smart RTH and RC signal is lost does it stop and retrace its route or continue to execute the Smart RTH?
2018-4-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules