Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Weak signal RC
4106 6 2018-4-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
johnnyyo
lvl.1

Italy

Ciao to all,
this is my first post, so accept my apologies in advance in case the same topic has already been discussed before.

I own a Phantom 3 std for 3 months and I am very happy of the pictures I can take with it, but I noticed two issues:

1. the biggest problem is that almost always the signal between RC and the drone is weak as soon as I fly over 100meters. Over 200m the signal often disappears and it starts the "GO HOME" procedure, until I can connect again. On the other hand, image signal on my mobile is always very good, it is only matter of connection DRONE/RC. It happens almost everywhere, city or mountain, it doesn't change.

2. a second problem is that I am not able to set the home point. It updates the homepoint correctly every time I turn on and calibrate the drone (automatically), but if I try to update it manually, it always says "Failed". So this is not a big deal, because the automatic update is good enough for me, but I just wanted to take advantage of the same post

Thanks a lot!

2018-4-9
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

1.  Sounds like you're trying to fly straight up.  You're not supposed to fly it straight up.  The antenna positions are not set up correctly so your range will be poor.

2.  The problem might be that you're trying to make a new home point on top of an old home point.

Good luck
2018-4-9
Use props
johnnyyo
lvl.1

Italy

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-4-9 06:40
1.  Sounds like you're trying to fly straight up.  You're not supposed to fly it straight up.  The antenna positions are not set up correctly so your range will be poor.

2.  The problem might be that you're trying to make a new home point on top of an old home point.

Thank you Mark.

1. Yes, I always fly vertical, because I just use it to take pictures, so I find a good place and then I elevate the drone until I reached the best spot to shot. So do you think I can improve this if I control the drone from a different place (not under its vertical)?

2. Good to know, thanks!
2018-4-9
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Yes, you can walk a few hundred yards away and launch, then fly straight up.  Or you could fly a few hundred yards away, then go straight up.  That would be the easiest way to do it.  Trying to mod the antennas would be an unnecessary headache.  

Good luck
2018-4-9
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hey John, please refer this tutorial video and adjust the antenna to see whether it works better.
As for the Home Point update, it requires good GPS signal of the mobile device. You can change to another open location or mobile to try.

2018-4-9
Use props
flyhigh69
lvl.3
Flight distance : 75079 ft

United States

John, you might want to install a range extender to the controller. One thing you could check is the wires in the controller, I found a lose connection, but of course it was my own mistake when i installed the ARGEK range booster. flying straight up is a big no no, out then up. And if you put the antana parallel to the drones legs. don't point the tip to the drone. the tips are the weakest signal, the flat face is what you want. Hope it helps, Good luck.
2018-4-9
Use props
johnnyyo
lvl.1

Italy

Thank you Mark, Susan and flyhigh69, your messages helped a lot!
2018-4-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules