My Mavic Air got scratched by props
4233 30 2018-4-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Kotsev
lvl.3
Flight distance : 135387 ft
Bulgaria

Hi, don't know about you guys but I always try to keep my tech and gadgets in the best possible shape with minimal wear signs because if I try to re-sell them afterwards I can get the best price and also the person who buys it will get a device in good shape. I was very sad when I saw my Mavic Air scratched just from being folded and unfolded . Seems that when I fold him the propellers are rubbing over the sylver part of my drone and scratching it quite good. Some might say that I am overprotective and that it's just a drone and etc... but I would really appreciate if DJI are aware about this and make design improvements in the future. I live in a country with not very high standard of living and it's a bit dissapointing to spend 600-700 EUR on a long waited bird and then get it scratched the second day.

scr_small.jpg
2018-4-9
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

I am sleeping with my socks on tonight!    

Just kidding,! I hear you and I will be mad too!

2018-4-9
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I've seen this a few times on here now - seems like a design flaw in a certain batch.
2018-4-9
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Make sure you are putting it back in the box the right way as well.
2018-4-9
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

Meh, it's a scratch.  It's a drone not a hanger queen.  Scratches add character.
2018-4-9
Use props
ChasesDronePics
lvl.4
Flight distance : 198990 ft
United States

Can you show a picture of the clearance it has when the arm is unfolded?
2018-4-9
Use props
GoldenSun
First Officer
Flight distance : 681903 ft
Poland

Is it fine when unfolded?
2018-4-9
Use props
Kotsev
lvl.3
Bulgaria

ChasesDronePics Posted at 2018-4-9 10:45
Can you show a picture of the clearance it has when the arm is unfolded?

Yes, here's the picture:
2018-4-9
Use props
ghostrdr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1272723 ft
United States

Those Karma's tended to scratch themselves too... then they crash!
2018-4-9
Use props
Kotsev
lvl.3
Bulgaria

Hopefully it will not be the case here.
2018-4-9
Use props
ChasesDronePics
lvl.4
Flight distance : 198990 ft
United States

Wow based on these pictures, the props don't look close to the body at all...
2018-4-9
Use props
zguy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 243796 ft
United States

Here's how mine looks after 2 months of moderate use.Is everyone's not doing this?
Did I get propellers with an extra sharp edge??

2018-04-09 19.14.18.jpg 2018-04-09 19.13.19.jpg

2018-4-9
Use props
Aeromirage
First Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>

Realize also that the case is not a hard shell case.
Any pressure put on the top of it will transfer directly  to the drone.
2018-4-9
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Workaround.  
Put a thing sheet of plastic or paper between body and props when folding, unfolding, or storing with props folded.
2018-4-9
Use props
Kotsev
lvl.3
Bulgaria

zguy Posted at 2018-4-9 18:24
Here's how mine looks after 2 months of moderate use.Is everyone's not doing this?
Did I get propellers with an extra sharp edge??

I think it's a matter of time till mine reaches your scratch level. I have it for 20 days and flying it few times per day so I will be there soon too.
2018-4-9
Use props
Thoarax
lvl.3
Flight distance : 488484 ft
United States

The scratches happen when the back two blades are folded into the drone, not from flying it.
2018-4-10
Use props
lannes
First Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

That is why you should not have removed the protective stickers in that area, I just cut off the yellow tabs and left the original clear section there to protect the body.

Just put some clear tape there now, or you can  use something stronger like bicycle frame protection stickers which you can get from a bike shop, just cut them to fit that small spot.
2018-4-10
Use props
Kotsev
lvl.3
Bulgaria

lannes Posted at 2018-4-10 04:21
That is why you should not have removed the protective stickers in that area, I just cut off the yellow tabs and left the original clear section there to protect the body.

Just put some clear tape there now, or you can  use something stronger like bicycle frame protection stickers which you can get from a bike shop, just cut them to fit that small spot.

Thanks! Will check it out. I didn't knew at the time that this is going to happen otherwise I would have kept my protective foil on also.
2018-4-10
Use props
FlyDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1636286 ft
Denmark

Cut two fingers of a latex glove and pull one over each affected propel for protection.
2018-4-10
Use props
msinger
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thoarax Posted at 2018-4-10 03:02
The scratches happen when the back two blades are folded into the drone, not from flying it.

Right on. When the arms are folded, the props touch the top of the Mavic Air.
2018-4-10
Use props
maurom82
lvl.4
Flight distance : 143757 ft
Italy

lannes Posted at 2018-4-10 04:21

I too left the protective stickers in that area..the only ones that I did not remove.
2018-4-10
Use props
Bill B
lvl.4
Flight distance : 319245 ft
United States

FlyDK Posted at 2018-4-10 04:53
Cut two fingers of a latex glove and pull one over each affected propel for protection.

Make sure your fingers are not in the glove when you cut them. Remember to practice safe droning.
2018-4-10
Use props
CanadaMark
lvl.2
Canada

I just got a Mavic Air a few days ago (my first drone) and I just wanted to reiterate what others have said above.  I am extremely anal about my gear and I noticed right away that the props rub on that area.   DJI added clear protective film with pull-tabs for removal on this exact area, presumably to protect the finish of the aircraft from prop scuffs during transport, shipping, and before sale.  Understandably, most people probably pull those off right away.  As far as I can tell, these stickers do not cover or block anything important (I was originally worried they may block part of the cooling ports, but they don't), so if you just carefully cut off the yellow tabs with a blade (or leave them on, I don't think they harm anything) you will have some protection there.  Even just a tiny piece of tape there would likely accomplish the same thing.  You might even be able to use a piece of cell-phone screen protective film and apply it to that area, or some thin stickers of your choice.  I think it would be annoying to try and cover the props every time you put the drone away, so it would be better to apply something to the aircraft and not have to worry about it.
2018-4-10
Use props
DH_Pilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3301621 ft
  • >>>
Slovakia

This is little bit design flaw, I would expect that this area is made at least of different plastic or different paint used if contact with blades is needed every time when drone is folded.
2018-4-10
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 666483 ft
Netherlands

I can understand you want to keep it in pristine condition, a bit of tape can do the trick, or even better, you could skin the complete drone to your liking for a few bucks.

I'm the complete opposite though, its a untensil for me, I'm not super carefull with it and can have wear and tear, just as long as its technically in good order. Same with my bike, you have your 'cleaner' and you have your 'rider' types. I maintain the bike technically to perfection, but its still a user item for me, so not much washing the bike with a beer. Some will clean it to mint condition after every ride and every scrath is cried over.
You should clean it if you enjoy doing so, but if you do it to maintain its value, you can better spend the time you would be cleaning at your work, that will pay out faster then meticulously cleaning every inch of your bike.
2018-4-10
Use props
GLJones
lvl.2
Flight distance : 41381 ft
United States

Those vinyl drone cover stickers could help with this too.  You can get the cool design ones or just plain ones that duplicate the current colors of your drone.
2018-4-10
Use props
Kotsev
lvl.3
Bulgaria

GLJones Posted at 2018-4-10 20:56
Those vinyl drone cover stickers could help with this too.  You can get the cool design ones or just plain ones that duplicate the current colors of your drone.

Yeah already purchased a set yesterday Thanks!
2018-4-10
Use props
LookAt_Wictim
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2621982 ft
Slovakia

I have same problem after 3 weeks. I contacted support and they said me: Thank you for waiting, this is the first incident for that issue. As of the moment we don't have an answer for that incident. However, rest assure that this issue will be lift up to our higher department.

I bought skin on my mavic air and the props still make a pressure on body and making a cuts on skin. Now im detaching frond proppellers...

2018-4-10
Use props
Kotsev
lvl.3
Bulgaria

LookAt_Wictim Posted at 2018-4-10 21:57
I have same problem after 3 weeks. I contacted support and they said me: Thank you for waiting, this is the first incident for that issue. As of the moment we don't have an answer for that incident. However, rest assure that this issue will be lift up to our higher department.

I bought skin on my mavic air and the props still make a pressure on body and making a cuts on skin. Now im detaching frond proppellers...

Honestly I don't expect support to do anything regarding this. I would be happy if they add it as lesson learned and improve it for the future drone design. This doesn't affect the performance of the drone but it's just annoying and messing with my OCD
2018-4-10
Use props
LookAt_Wictim
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2621982 ft
Slovakia

Kotsev Posted at 2018-4-10 22:28
Honestly I don't expect support to do anything regarding this. I would be happy if they add it as lesson learned and improve it for the future drone design. This doesn't affect the performance of the drone but it's just annoying and messing with my OCD

yes it was feedback to dji thats all
2018-4-10
Use props
Airlord
lvl.3
Flight distance : 38048 ft
Germany

Take clear Tape at this Place to get no more Scratches.
2018-4-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules